UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gary Goodridge Crucifix animation

3/7/13 10:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
woodstainedglass
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/defining-moment---the-crucifix

enjoy :)

3/7/13 10:34 PM
Zomby
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why are things funnier in cartoon drawing?
3/7/13 11:05 PM
spideynhb
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great finish.
3/7/13 11:07 PM
sirjoshua

good shit
3/7/13 11:09 PM
cool hand Ed
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How has this never happened again in modern MMA? Phone Post
3/7/13 11:10 PM
UGCTT_Stu0411
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wicked. Phone Post
3/7/13 11:14 PM
cheesesteak
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those types of elbows are most likely illegal would be my guess...But is is a hella move that you can pull off on some muthafucka on the streets that's for sure. It's definitely a badass technique and I give Big Daddy much props knowing it back in those days.
3/8/13 8:23 AM
woodstainedglass
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did this piece because it's still difficult to watch. Like a car crash, it's captivating and horrific. 

I think we don't see stuff like this happening because people are just more well rounded and pulling off something like this requires a bit of surprise due to inexperience. 

3/8/13 8:50 AM
hypoxia

Fuck high crotch takedowns (w/o tricky setups).
3/8/13 9:07 AM
ASBELTOMATO
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

woodstainedglass - 

I did this piece because it's still difficult to watch. Like a car crash, it's captivating and horrific. 

I think we don't see stuff like this happening because people are just more well rounded and pulling off something like this requires a bit of surprise due to inexperience. 

i will never forget that move, as it was the first ufc i ever saw, and has been etched into the back of my mind.
3/8/13 11:22 AM
Ice Cold Igors Right Hand

Awesome Phone Post
3/8/13 11:35 AM
cheesesteak
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

woodstainedglass - 

Also Gary out muscled and outweighed his opponent by a large sum. Gary also has a gi on making it difficult for his opponent to wiggle out...Paul Herrera was doomed!
3/8/13 12:40 PM
Hey Beer Man
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was up in Big Bear at a family camp for this fight but REALLY wanted to see it. I sort of knew Paul and thought he would take Goodridge down and pound him out. I found out some of the camp workers were going to get the fight so I weaseled
my way into their cabin to watch. I was bragging how my friend (he was really a friend of a friend I met a handful of times) was fighting and was going to kill anyone he fought. I hyped this guy so much and when the fight ended the way it did these stoned, bearded Jesus looking hippies all turned my direction and one guy said, "so this is your bad ass friend?"

Sucked for Paul because he probably wins 5/10 fights in that point in Goodridge's career -he has since said that he only had a defense for the high crotch the Paul hit and nothing else.
3/8/13 12:54 PM
Steve4192
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Those types of elbows are most likely illegal would be my guess...But is is a hella move that you can pull off on some muthafucka on the streets that's for sure. It's definitely a badass technique and I give Big Daddy much props knowing it back in those days.

There is nothing illegal about those elbows. 12-6 elbows mean ceiling to floor. Those elbows were parallel to the floor (9-3). 100% legal.

The reason you don't see it anymore is because fighters are too well rounded to get trapped into that position for an extended period of time.
3/9/13 3:03 AM
hypoxia

I've seen Cormier and Velazquez use the high crotch but it's modified.
I'm almost positive Cormier used one to launch Barnett.
3/9/13 3:11 AM
Soup Nazi
1487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweeeeeet

3/9/13 3:31 AM
Maltese Falcon
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

comparison to the original , awesome work

3/9/13 3:31 AM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome as usual, OP! :) Phone Post
3/9/13 3:34 AM
slamming

cheesesteak - Those types of elbows are most likely illegal would be my guess...But is is a hella move that you can pull off on some muthafucka on the streets that's for sure. It's definitely a badass technique and I give Big Daddy much props knowing it back in those days.

They are perfectly legal elbows by today's rule set.
3/9/13 3:38 AM
madvillain11

great job on the animation. almost as hard to watch as the real footage
3/10/13 3:08 PM
woodstainedglass

thanks y'all. 

i'll keep sharing, and will keep the quality as high as possible

3/10/13 3:35 PM
FOX Force Five
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very nice work OP.

I think that is one of the most distinctive finishes in UFC history.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.