UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Calf cramp - always same leg

3/8/13 6:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
falkofire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been having this issue for awhile now but it hasn't been constant or serious enough to address

I always have had larger than normal calves... And my left calf muscle always has issues with cramping mostly during training jiu jitsu, never my other leg or anything else - just my left calf always cramping

I stretch, foam roll, tiger balm, over hydrate, potassium, salt bath, everything I can think of but still have this reoccurring issue and always with just my left calf

Although it doesn't stay contracted, for the next several days It's tender to the touch. Feels Tighter than the other and just feels like I have a deep Bruise or some knots in there .

Any suggestions ? Phone Post
3/8/13 10:56 PM
HERTSWENIP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/13 10:56 PM
Try ART. Never used it in this application before, but its worth a shot. www.activerelease.com to find a provider, preferrably one with nerve entrapment, masters and lower extremity certs
3/8/13 11:05 PM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/08/13 11:06 PM
Try a thai liniment or SOMBRA.I have same problem,i have to thoroughly warm up on the rope & stretch before any training.

I would do a 20-30 min warmup/stretch at home before I left for any class. My flexibility skyrocketed by making it a daily thing,plus no real problems with my calf. My right leg tends to be tighter for some reason and thats the one that hurts.
3/9/13 12:28 AM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One more thing, "mcdavid" calf compression sleeves help a lot in addition to a liniment.
3/9/13 4:43 PM
Shanle929
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How's your water intake? I used to have that problem until I drank more high quality H2O. All good now. I have a gallon a day at least. Phone Post
3/10/13 1:28 AM
falkofire
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shanle929 - How's your water intake? I used to have that problem until I drank more high quality H2O. All good now. I have a gallon a day at least. Phone Post
I drink a Ton of water - im gonna go try to get this checked out and take it from there... I don't even know who to go to though?

A clinic is gonna give me some anti inflammatory and say stretch

A massage therapist will massage it but doesn't really address the issue or cause

I don't know where to go Phone Post
3/10/13 6:50 AM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you ever injured your low back before or had your low back checked out? If your nutrition and hydration are up to par and have no other injuries going on at the lower extremity, It may not truly be a "cramp", but may be more referral symptoms from a low back/nerve issue.
3/10/13 11:56 AM
HUMBLED1

what is your day job? Do you sit all day? Also stretch them hip flexors.
3/10/13 2:15 PM
falkofire

MattB ATC - Have you ever injured your low back before or had your low back checked out? If your nutrition and hydration are up to par and have no other injuries going on at the lower extremity, It may not truly be a "cramp", but may be more referral symptoms from a low back/nerve issue.
I've never injured my lower back besides a lumbar puncture - I have always prided myself on my flexibility and mobility from doing so much Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Phone Post
3/10/13 2:18 PM
falkofire

HUMBLED1 - what is your day job? Do you sit all day? Also stretch them hip flexors.
Day job is training and student between training is just recovery - so plenty of sitting when I'm not training technique or s and c - I do stretch though :( my hip flexor have a good range of motion

Thanks everyone for all the help ! Phone Post
3/12/13 12:25 AM
bull neck
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had six mystery calf tears - 3 on each leg - in about 6 months. The exact same spot each time, right in the middle of the leg where the soleus and gastroc kind of meet.

You'd think if it was just one leg maybe it'd be understandable. But on both? In the same place? And it used to happen while running and it would literally happen within 10m of the exact same spot during a run.

Weird, right?

Wasn't my calf. It was my back. So much time spent in flexion from riding that my lower back was getting kind of locked up. That was stopping my nerves from freely. My body couldn't figure out the difference between a calf tear and a nerve impingement at my lower back.

Solution - back bends. Stand up straight, place hands in lower back and bend back as far as you can. Do lots. Like sets of 10 every hour all day long. You sit at school and BJJ is like turbo charged sitting. I've never seen more jacked up people from any activity than I have from BJJ. It may be the single worst thing you can do for your body's long term health.

More people should bridge/ back bend. You'll be surprised at what happens from it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.