UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Damn.George is 18-2...

3/9/13 12:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
suess
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol too funny

3/9/13 12:45 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol Diaz got the better of Condit grappling. You mean taking his back for a few seconds at the end of the 5th? Lets talk about how Diaz got out struck all fucking fight and thinks walking around with your hands down talking wins you a fight Phone Post
3/9/13 1:21 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
488 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diaz only landed 7 more head strikes than Condit. 

159-Condit 

117-Diaz 

Truth is Diaz lost the majority of the exchanges, which was his only chance to win.

3/9/13 1:23 AM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/09/13 1:24 AM
Speaking of interesting facts and fighters who have defeated top-10 ranked competition at least once in their careers, know who set the record for the most significant strikes landed in a single fight in the UFC? It was Condit in that fight against Diaz where he supposedly did nothing but leg kick while running backwards.

Can't explain that!
3/9/13 1:34 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

Then you're an idiot to believe Condit would brawl with Diaz and give him a chance to win. You beat Diaz by out classing him like Condit did and like GSP will Phone Post
3/9/13 1:38 AM
suess
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm pretty sure finest scotch is the just bleed guy

3/9/13 1:38 AM
suess

FinestScotch - 
GayGuardMooseSaucy -  Then you're an idiot to believe Condit would brawl with Diaz and give him a chance to win. You beat Diaz by out classing him like Condit did and like GSP will Phone Post

Oh, so he's a liar, and I shouldn't believe what he says.

More reason to dislike him.

herp derp tell the world your game plan condit!  

3/9/13 1:39 AM
Masakyst
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whatever your opinion is of a fight that happened more than a year ago, maybe it's time to let it go and move on with your life.

And if you're not a fan of GSP, that's fine, nobody cares that Georges and Carlos broke your heart. But why did you come into a thread full of GSP fans talking about his accomplishments, and try to start shit?
3/9/13 1:54 AM
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/09/13 2:00 AM

This Just Bleed mentality needs to die.  If not, MMA will never be recognized as a legit sport. 

MMA is NOT all about finishes, it's about winning.  People watch sports to see the best compete against the best, and competitors achieving their full potential.

Winning in MMA is about minimizing risk, and that's why GSP is so good at MMA.  

Disagree with me?  The way in which fighters minimize risk is different for everyone.  People will say "Oh yeah, Nick Diaz is awesome.  He doesn't care about risk management, he just loves to go in there and brawl". I would disagree with that.  Nick Diaz has a style which is best suited for getting in wild and prolonged exchanges on the feet due to his chin, cardio, and boxing skill.  If Diaz went in the cage with a GSP-type mentality, he'd be risking defeat far more than if he went in with his regular mindset, as he simply can't execute a GSP-type gameplan like he could his own. His best chance at winning in any fight is to get in exchanges in the pocket, and as such his style of fighting is more likely to result in a finish than GSP's.

GSP's best chance at winning is not the same as Diaz's, it's to mix up standup with takedowns and therefore is less prone to end in a finish.  Some people find that  less entertaining (not me), and they have reason to be upset, but the amount of bitching and moaning about him not finishing his opponents is ridiculous.

Edit - Don't get me wrong - I love finishes, but it's better for the sport if there isn't such a HUGE emphasis on them like there is today.  Sports can't be exciting 100% of the time, but that makes it that much more special when they are exciting.

3/9/13 2:01 AM
fasthandssam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What GSP has done, especially in such a stacked division, is absolutely remarkable. He will be remembered as an all-time great and probably the best welterweight ever.
3/9/13 2:01 AM
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fasthandssam - What GSP has done, especially in such a stacked division, is absolutely remarkable. He will be remembered as an all-time great and probably the best welterweight ever.

Yup.  That's the bottom line.

3/9/13 2:07 AM

Edited: 03/09/13 2:07 AM
FinestScotch - 

^^^ MMA to you is about winning without trying to finish. I get that. You and your butt buddy Suess have GSP avatars.

MMA to me is about fighting to win. Not positioning yourself favourably to score points. If you don't finish but are obviously the one who did a better job trying to, you should win.

GSP was once a fan of the former. Money turned him away from it. The UFC losing money on account of it is turning positional bores like Fitch into 1-loss-cuts.

The direction is clear. There will always be wrestling and jiu jitsu tourneys for you point fighters once MMA scoring evolves.

Well then you're not gonna have the best fight against the best - and that sacrifices the integrity of the sport.

If GSP can take you down at will and control you there, why punish him for it?  Why shouldn't fighters evolve to figure out how to fucking deal with it as opposed to changing the rules so he can't do it?

MMA fans are ridiculous sometimes. Fighters have to deal with this shit, not change the rules.

3/9/13 2:14 AM

Watch the Condit fight and tell me one instance where the fight should have been stood up.  He was throwing punches and elbows the entire time, while working to safely pass to half-guard or side control.

3/9/13 2:20 AM
fasthandssam
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch - 

^^^ MMA to you is about winning without trying to finish. I get that. You and your butt buddy Suess have GSP avatars.

MMA to me is about fighting to win. Not positioning yourself favourably to score points. If you don't finish but are obviously the one who did a better job trying to, you should win.

GSP was once a fan of the former. Money turned him away from it. The UFC losing money on account of it is turning positional bores like Fitch into 1-loss-cuts.

The direction is clear. There will always be wrestling and jiu jitsu tourneys for you point fighters once MMA scoring evolves.

I agree about fighting to win. And honestly, I do think that GSP tries to win (and finish) every fight. He never goes on cruise control like Anderson did against Leites and Maia. He is always active, and trying to pursue favorible positions not to score more POINTS but to score more FINISHES (submissions, ko's).

GSP has admitted it himself- he is not gifted with great knockout power. He isn't the guy who can just hit someone and put their lights out. But dammit if he doesn't try. Yes, all of his fights have been going to decision. But look at the facts:
1. he gave Koscheck fucking nerve damage from hitting him in the face so many times
2. he beat up BJ Penn so bad he had to throw in the towel
3. he fought Thiago Alves with a pulled groin and Jake Shields with a damaged eye. And he still dominated them 100%
4. look at the Dan Hardy fight. How can you say he wasn't fighting to finish? It's not his fault Hardy is fucking
Gumby over there- those sub attempts were super close!
5. look at who he's fighting! who finishes Jon Fitch!? Isn't it enough to dominate him in a way that has never been replicated? Even Maia didn't beat up Fitch the way that GSP did.

I know that sounds like a lot of excuses. But don't you think that there is something impressive about a guy who gets knocked down by a headkick from Condit and manages to not only recover but to dominate the rest of the fight? Do you really think that GSP sits still on his opponents? That he is not constantly going for it?

I think this is just a case where the guy is trying his hardest, but a few key factors and a few bad turns of luck have turned his fights into decisions. GSP is super active on the feet and the ground, and I really believe he gives it his all. Maybe that's not enough for some people and they MUST see finishes every time- but it is enough for me.

Now, if GSP was content with taking guys down and just holding them, without trying to improve his position, attempt submissions, or score meaningful GNP, then I would be very much against him and his style. But that is simply not the case.
3/9/13 2:20 AM

FinestScotch - 

I'm not asking for GSP to stand in the middle of the cage and throw haymakers, but  come on:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/995/645/00_original_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

dominated

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3470247/140_carlos_condit.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Really? Somehow condit was on his back for 16 minutes and comes out looking like he sparred with Fox Fallon and GSP comes out looking like he got crossed by a prime Tyson.

Agreed.

3/9/13 2:24 AM

FinestScotch - 
ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh - 

Watch the Condit fight and tell me one instance where the fight should have been stood up.  He was throwing punches and elbows the entire time, while working to safely pass to half-guard or side control.

Safely!

Look at your avatar, dude.

GSP could have finished that fight before he ate the headkick, without a doubt. He chose not to, and ruined his pretty looks on account of that.

Safely is putting it away when you're "dominating" so "safely" that the guy is landing enough on the bottom to rough you up more than you are on the top.

Yeah, safely.  If you try to pass Condit's guard recklessly shit like this will happen:

3/9/13 2:26 AM

Edited: 03/09/13 2:26 AM
FinestScotch - 

Safely!

GSP could have finished that fight before he ate the headkick, without a doubt. He chose not to, and ruined his pretty looks on account of that.

Safely is putting it away when you're "dominating" so "safely" that the guy is landing enough on the bottom to rough you up more than you are on the top.

Yeah, safely.  If you try to pass Condit's guard recklessly shit like this will happen:

Instead of bitching about fighters "laying" on top of other fighters, they should learn to do stuff like this. Sweeps, subs, switches, peak-outs are all available options, but instead of those, fans just want to see rule changes.

SMH

3/9/13 2:28 AM
SoupCan
575 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch -

GSP has proven that he can do FAR more damage in dominant positions.

It's aggrivating that he doesn't do it because he doesn't need to for the win under the current rule set.

Ahhhh, I was wondering what your alternate account was

Hi KingOfFighters! Phone Post
3/9/13 2:38 AM

Edited: 03/09/13 2:39 AM
FinestScotch - 
FinestScotch - 

Safely!

Instead of bitching about fighters "laying" on top of other fighters, they should learn to do stuff like this. Sweeps, subs, switches, peak-outs are all available options, but instead of those, fans just want to see rule changes.

SMH

If you can't see that Condit needed the cage for that sweep, I don't know what to tell you. GSP was mindful of that with where he had Condit on the ground.

Dominant position? Time to check the clock and see how long I have to stay here.

Don't even know what to tell you - you barely even responded to my points.

If Condit needs the cage to get a sweep, then he should avoid getting taken down in the center of the fucking octagon, shouldn't he?.  Or he should work his way to the cage. Regardless, Georges shouldn't be thinking "Hey, I should probably take this guy down near the cage, because that would be more exciting as he has a better chance of getting up".

The onus is on the fighter on bottom to find a way out of the position, not on people to make rule changes so that Georges can't take guys down.

This is mixed martial arts.  Dominant, smothering wrestling is part of the game.  Deal with it.

3/9/13 2:46 AM
IIAces
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masakyst - This thread needs more GSP facts

- Amassed a UFC record 33 consecutive rounds won in a row.
- Highest total significant strikes landed in the UFC
- Highest total strikes landed in the UFC
- Highest striking defense in the UFC
- Highest total takedowns landed in the UFC
- Highest takedown accuracy in the UFC
- Highest takedown defense in the UFC
Two of those are wrong. Strike defense record for UFC is Jon Madsen and TD defense is Gleison Tibau. Phone Post
3/9/13 3:01 AM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"GSP has admitted it himself- he is not gifted with great knockout power. He isn't the guy who can just hit someone and put their lights out. But dammit if he doesn't try. Yes, all of his fights have been going to decision. But look at the facts:
1. he gave Koscheck fucking nerve damage from hitting him in the face so many times
2. he beat up BJ Penn so bad he had to throw in the towel
3. he fought Thiago Alves with a pulled groin and Jake Shields with a damaged eye. And he still dominated them 100%
4. look at the Dan Hardy fight. How can you say he wasn't fighting to finish? It's not his fault Hardy is fucking
Gumby over there- those sub attempts were super close!
5. look at who he's fighting! who finishes Jon Fitch!? Isn't it enough to dominate him in a way that has never been replicated? Even Maia didn't beat up Fitch the way that GSP did."

These are all great points and true and overlooked esp the Alves and Shields fight and dont forget the first BJ fight when his eye was also fcked up again there, those are 3 fights in which he fought thru injuries against top opposition and people still question his heart.
3/9/13 3:02 AM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FinestScotch - 

I'm not asking for GSP to stand in the middle of the cage and throw haymakers, but  come on:

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/995/645/00_original_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

dominated

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3470247/140_carlos_condit.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Really? Somehow condit was on his back for 16 minutes and comes out looking like he sparred with Fox Fallon and GSP comes out looking like he got crossed by a prime Tyson.

Yup, the ground battle between GSP and Condit was a lot closer than people give Condit credit for. Condit was reverse GNPing like a mutha. He also swept GSP momentarily which is a first iirc, not many talked about that.

Still GSP won.
3/9/13 3:10 AM
Dingleberry Flopdoink The 3rd
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 -
TopChute - But the way he did it is why he isn't loved like Sakuraba or a Liddell.
Saku yes, but his prime was in the dark ages with far less fans outside of Japan watching.

And chuck had plenty of haters when he was competing. It really wasn't till after he retired that everyone claims to have loved him. Phone Post
Agreed. Back when Chuck was on his run all I ever read on here was "He only fights wrestlers and the best stand up artist the UFC has ever made him fight is Vernon White" Phone Post
3/9/13 4:53 AM
Eggbert
837 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goerge will permanently end nicks career. He'll make nick quit between rounds 3 and 4 also Phone Post
3/9/13 5:04 AM
mijo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
FinestScotch - 

dominated

Yup, the ground battle between GSP and Condit was a lot closer than people give Condit credit for. Condit was reverse GNPing like a mutha. He also swept GSP momentarily which is a first iirc, not many talked about that.

Still GSP won.

Took a beating and still won the fight. Condit is a tough sob. This is not the only time he took a beating, and stilll came out on top. Penn-GSP 1 was a tough fight as well.

Nick ends the streak with a submission in the 3rd.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.