UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Sonnen: "Single leg doesnt work in MMA"

3/9/13 1:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/09/13 1:31 PM
Fighters Only, web/editorial

I speak to some wrestlers and they tell to me, 'Hey listen, people say the double-leg is higher percentage than, I don't know, a single-leg sweep, but that's not true because it's really a function of the wrestler using it'. But it seems to me a double leg is a more accessible tool to all levels of wrestling. Jordan Burroughs' double is going to be a lot better than your average guy at some MMA gym, but they do work more often. Do you agree?

Oh absolutely, I absolutely agree. I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA. Whenever I teach it, I give a guy my leg. I get all my guys around, they're sitting down, they're watching me in the middle showing techniques. I give a guy my leg, and I ask the group, 'Does this guy have my leg?' and they all say yes. And I say, 'Well look again, does he have my leg?', and they yes, and I say 'Look again, does he have my leg, or do I have both of his hands?' And that's where people start to understand, a single leg, you don't want a single leg. I'll gladly start a fight allowing a guy to have a single.

Is that why we don't see tree-top takedowns or guys run the pipe. Is the single leg just not effective for MMA purposes generally speaking?

It truly is not, and that doesn't mean you're not going to see a guy grab a single and fall down. I know (Yushin) Okami did a couple of real sloppy ones and surprisingly Hector (Lombard) fell right down over the weekend, but they really aren't. I know Randy Couture loved to go to a one-leg takedown when he was at heavyweight, he would come way up as high as you could possibly get in the groin, and lift the guy straight up and put him down, using his head as a lever.That kind of worked, but I think largely he was forced to do that because those heavyweights are so big he just couldn't get his arms wrapped around them. But yeah, you're really not going to see them. You're just not, a guy can hop on one leg but if you get a hold of both legs, there's nothing to hop, especially if you pick him up off the mat. It's just simple physics with gravity.

Luke Thomas at Bloody Elbow did a great interview with Sonnen re wrestling and wrestling for MMA, which anyone who has more than a passing interest in the sport should read.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/4081332/technique-talk-chael-sonnen-mma-wrestling-interview-takedowns-ufc-news

Sonnen says the single leg and indeed most pure wrestling (and pure BJJ) moves are not suited to MMA. Ive seen other people say the opposite about the singe.

But, that said, its true we dont see it a lot

discuss

3/9/13 1:33 PM
ShowtimeKick
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yahya just had one of the nicest singles I've seen in a looong time in his last fight Phone Post
3/9/13 1:36 PM
Happiness Bunny
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saku..
3/9/13 1:37 PM
Smith1234
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP uses a great single to transition to a double and famously out wrestled better pedigree wrestlers many times.

GSP never uses a power double. Phone Post
3/9/13 1:38 PM
Spinelock
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People run the pipe all the time.You can't just hold on to the leg and eat punches, run the pipe, switch back to a double, come up to a body lock.
3/9/13 1:46 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smith1234 -  GSP uses a great single to transition to a double and famously out wrestled better pedigree wrestlers many times.

GSP never uses a power double. Phone Post

Uh what? He uses plenty of power doubles

http://youtu.be/q_E4wP71AGg

His bread and butter is the power double, knee block and single leg into double

3/9/13 1:50 PM
morse
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness Bunny - Saku..

+1

3/9/13 1:51 PM
Kostakio
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spinelock - People run the pipe all the time.You can't just hold on to the leg and eat punches, run the pipe, switch back to a double, come up to a body lock.
This right here. I'm surprised that he's saying that. Can someone going for a single leg alone find success? It's possible but improbable. You have to constantly transition from technique to technique. Phone Post
3/9/13 1:55 PM
dermotfix
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the single leggies

3/9/13 1:57 PM
iant
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please re-watch Cain vs JDS II Phone Post
3/9/13 1:58 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Incase people are reading just the thread title and not the interview. Chael isn't saying the single absolutely doesn't work. He's saying it would be more effective to go for the double which is a higher percentage move than the single in MMA

3/9/13 1:59 PM
Steve4192
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kazushi Sakuraba disagrees
3/9/13 1:59 PM
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/09/13 1:59 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 

Incase people are reading just the thread title and not the interview. Chael isn't saying the single absolutely doesn't work. He's saying it would be more effective to go for the double which is a higher percentage move than the single in MMA

he says, word for word, in the quote in the OP

I don't believe the single leg exists in MMA.

3/9/13 2:03 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 

I'm looking at in what context is he saying it. Not just taking a direct quote and running with it.

3/9/13 2:15 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

Great interview to listen to btw. Thanks for posting. Everyone should click the link and check it out.

3/9/13 2:15 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama

Edited: 03/09/13 2:15 PM

dbl

3/9/13 2:25 PM
in_different
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 
john joe - 
UGCTT_FryedTakayama - 

I'm looking at in what context is he saying it. Not just taking a direct quote and running with it.

which is the right way to do it btw
3/9/13 2:31 PM
rockwell
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Happiness Bunny - Saku..
This Phone Post
3/9/13 2:33 PM
john joe

yes the thread title is limited in characters so only so much i could get in there

and now back to our scheduled programming
3/9/13 2:41 PM
Chromium
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chael has been known to exaggerate a little at times...
3/9/13 2:43 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doubles can be sucessful and unsuccessful.

Same with singles.
3/9/13 2:45 PM
Wasa-B
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Sonnen says the single leg and indeed most pure wrestling (and pure BJJ) moves are not suited to MMA. Ive seen other people say the opposite about the singe."

What is a "pure BJJ" move as opposed to MMA BJJ move? And with wrestling too. Of course there are adjustments that are made but dont see huge differences in the mechanic fundamentals.
3/9/13 2:47 PM
Wasa-B

Kostakio - 
Spinelock - People run the pipe all the time.You can't just hold on to the leg and eat punches, run the pipe, switch back to a double, come up to a body lock.
This right here. I'm surprised that he's saying that. Can someone going for a single leg alone find success? It's possible but improbable. You have to constantly transition from technique to technique. Phone Post

You have to do that with almost any move though, in MMA and wrestling, initial attempt fails, you push thru or take what they give ya. Chael is usu pretty honest when it comes to fight technique so not sure where he's going with this either. Sometimes fighters just speak from the hip toach, he's an MMA veteran too...hough without that much overall thinking. But Chael is a wrestling coach adn MMA veteran too so...
3/9/13 2:50 PM
john joe

Wasa-B - "Sonnen says the single leg and indeed most pure wrestling (and pure BJJ) moves are not suited to MMA. Ive seen other people say the opposite about the singe."

What is a "pure BJJ" move as opposed to MMA BJJ move? And with wrestling too. Of course there are adjustments that are made but dont see huge differences in the mechanic fundamentals.

well in BJJ youve got the spider guard and xguard as referenced in the article, they dont work for MMA at any decent level, or say when a guy is in quarter position and does the shoulder roll to get back to guard, thats a good way to get fucked up in mma

Russian 2-on-1 from wrestling doesnt work too clever in MMA, for example, nor does turning to your front when taken down as taught in free and folk
3/9/13 2:55 PM
Hikikomori
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm tired of people making proclamations about what does or doesn't work in mma. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.