UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> So What's Up with Nick's Mgmt?

3/9/13 1:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude is one of the longest veterans of the sport at the highest levels like Hendo. He is still on the same team as 3 other top fighters and they have been teammates all career with the same trainer/coach. Not sure how the management is for Gil, Jake or Nate but is Nick's management that out of whack or is it him or a bit of both?

And, if he had better management, would he be a better fighter?
3/9/13 2:19 PM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick and Cesar are big on loyalty, and I think Nick needs whatever it is Cesar provides mentally. They sort of co-enable on the bad stuff, and in that respect Cesar can look/make Nick look bad.

BUT...Nick is getting a shot at GSP, despite the positive tests, all the press conference no shows, and losing his last fight, so...what more could he want management-wise?

I'm just speculating on this part, but it looks to me like Nick pretty much runs his own training camps to work on the skills he wants, and the skills he has are top notch.
3/9/13 2:23 PM
WoodenPupa
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I mean on paper it's possible Nick could benefit from a better manager, but it's hard to disentangle the necessary from the optional when it comes to the mental stuff.

At any rate, the whole 'pissed off and dissociated' thing reaches scripted levels here and there, but they make it work for Nick, not to mention Nate.
3/9/13 2:26 PM
WoodenPupa

How about this, Tito Ortiz manages Nick Diaz. Yeah?? Pure epicality.
3/9/13 2:26 PM
Wasa-B
286 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, im not saying Nick should leave Caesar, he's obviously come this far as a fighter for a reason, developing under the same coach but management wise, if he's complaining about all this shit for so long, something's either gotta be missing from their management or....Nick just dont have his shit together on that end...or both.

So if his management (including financials) were better taken care of, would he be a better fighter? Or does he thrive off the chaotic me against the world thing?
3/9/13 2:27 PM
Toby Lerone
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a huge fan but I don't think its his management that is to blame for any perceived lack of success in his career.

3/9/13 2:28 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They need to pamper him more. Bring him bottled water and fresh towels. I mean, where the fuck is nicks pampering? Phone Post
3/9/13 2:32 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

In all seriousness the shit nick needs help with is not stuff a manager would handle. It's something a mother or wife would handle. Like hey, you haven't checked your emails or voicemails in three weeks. Or hey, maybe you should put down the bong. Phone Post
3/9/13 2:32 PM
john joe
372 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
WoodenPupa - How about this, Tito Ortiz manages Nick Diaz. Yeah?? Pure epicality.

DO WANT this press conference
3/9/13 2:38 PM
Wasa-B

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  They need to pamper him more. Bring him bottled water and fresh towels. I mean, where the fuck is nicks pampering? Phone Post

Dont forget wear some tight pants..."oh wait.....!"

3/9/13 2:38 PM
Wasa-B

john joe - 
WoodenPupa - How about this, Tito Ortiz manages Nick Diaz. Yeah?? Pure epicality.

DO WANT this press conference

haha, THIS! Cue up the MFs get slapped/Cracked Skull mash up now.
3/9/13 2:39 PM
Wasa-B

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  In all seriousness the shit nick needs help with is not stuff a manager would handle. It's something a mother or wife would handle. Like hey, you haven't checked your emails or voicemails in three weeks. Or hey, maybe you should put down the bong. Phone Post

This is what im thinking too, perhaps a better mgr may help but if you dont do the above then....
3/9/13 2:40 PM
Wasa-B

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  In all seriousness the shit nick needs help with is not stuff a manager would handle. It's something a mother or wife would handle. Like hey, you haven't checked your emails or voicemails in three weeks. Or hey, maybe you should put down the bong. Phone Post

Maybe this is why Nick was so upset about the soccer mom reaming him out, perhaps he has mama issues....
3/9/13 4:03 PM
SickEyeDiaz
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WoodenPupa - How about this, Tito Ortiz manages Nick Diaz. Yeah?? Pure epicality.
"Ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Diaz Nick Diablo, one of the best WW performances of the night." Phone Post
3/9/13 4:12 PM
D241

It's tough to say really. I mean the immediate argument is his management just had Nate have a title shot, Gilbert and Nick are having title shots for their next bout, but you got to remember, fighters pave the way for title shots more than managers do. 

Managers can give a strong push, but ultimately it's Nate,Gilbert, and Nick who have earned their spots.

So I won't rule out bad management. Great trainer obviously, but I'm with the OP, I do question the management skills regarding the finances and communication problems.

3/9/13 4:38 PM
Mr Bungle
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Think of it in terms of BJ Penn. Think of where BJ would be right now had he moved away from Hawaii and trained with Greg Jackson or AKA or ATT. Imagine if BJ weren't the top dog and instead, he got his ass handed to him on a daily basis. That would have made BJ into THE all time great, instead of one of the all times greats, someone who coasted on natural ability and technique and heart. A lot of people don't understand that getting your ass kicked while in training camp by people who are almost as good, if not better than you, is what makes fighters peak at the right moment, during the fight.

Now substitute BJ Penn with Nick Diaz and you have one of the better boxer/jiu jitsu guys in the world with natural talent and dedication, along with the cardio. Nick getting his ass kicked every day instead of being The top dog would make for one hell of a dangerous fighter.
3/9/13 4:45 PM
Wasa-B

D241 - 

It's tough to say really. I mean the immediate argument is his management just had Nate have a title shot, Gilbert and Nick are having title shots for their next bout, but you got to remember, fighters pave the way for title shots more than managers do. 

Managers can give a strong push, but ultimately it's Nate,Gilbert, and Nick who have earned their spots.

So I won't rule out bad management. Great trainer obviously, but I'm with the OP, I do question the management skills regarding the finances and communication problems.

yeah, obviously nate, gil and nick have earned their shots but nick's also lost a shot before due to not showing up to pressers, is that bad mgmt or just nick being a flake? guessing its nick on this one.

in terms of the stuff he's bitching about, the pampering, the lack of compensation he gets, im willing to bet that he makes enough $ to train and live comfortably and that his shit is just not managed well and doesnt have someone advising him what to do with this $.

so i know its all fun and games but i think GSP is right, its on Nick and GSP runs his shit better because he's smarter and has better people around him (not to mention he's a bigger star but he dont skip out on pressers either).
3/9/13 4:45 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I said in another thread, Cesar is an awful manager Phone Post
3/9/13 4:46 PM
Wasa-B

Mr Bungle - Think of it in terms of BJ Penn. Think of where BJ would be right now had he moved away from Hawaii and trained with Greg Jackson or AKA or ATT. Imagine if BJ weren't the top dog and instead, he got his ass handed to him on a daily basis. That would have made BJ into THE all time great, instead of one of the all times greats, someone who coasted on natural ability and technique and heart. A lot of people don't understand that getting your ass kicked while in training camp by people who are almost as good, if not better than you, is what makes fighters peak at the right moment, during the fight.

Now substitute BJ Penn with Nick Diaz and you have one of the better boxer/jiu jitsu guys in the world with natural talent and dedication, along with the cardio. Nick getting his ass kicked every day instead of being The top dog would make for one hell of a dangerous fighter.

That's training level more than career and financial mgmt though. I do agree but with Nick, it doesnt seem his game or cardio or whatever is at issue. He's always bitching about someone not telling him about the conference call until the day before....find that hard to beleive. And his lack of "compensation" when he starts skipping out on the biggest then pay day of his life.

Something aint behind the wheel there.
3/9/13 4:48 PM
Wasa-B

GayGuardMooseSaucy -  As I said in another thread, Cesar is an awful manager Phone Post

Gil seems to have his head on straight though, knows what he wants, knows how to market himself, and is getting his shot now after successful Pride, SF, etc runs.

Jake too seems to be doing alright, why the chaos with Nick?
3/9/13 4:56 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B -
GayGuardMooseSaucy -  As I said in another thread, Cesar is an awful manager Phone Post

Gil seems to have his head on straight though, knows what he wants, knows how to market himself, and is getting his shot now after successful Pride, SF, etc runs.

I believe Gilbert and Jake are more intelligent than Nick. You don't have to have an MBA to under business but Diaz is a HS dropout. It was posted on here that Diaz literally turns over his earnings to Cesar and is given an allowance. Phone Post
3/9/13 4:58 PM
Wasa-B

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Wasa-B -

I believe Gilbert and Jake are more intelligent than Nick. You don't have to have an MBA to under business but Diaz is a HS dropout. It was posted on here that Diaz literally turns over his earnings to Cesar and is given an allowance. Phone Post

Dam....
3/9/13 5:03 PM
Mr Bungle
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
Mr Bungle - Think of it in terms of BJ Penn. Think of where BJ would be right now had he moved away from Hawaii and trained with Greg Jackson or AKA or ATT. Imagine if BJ weren't the top dog and instead, he got his ass handed to him on a daily basis. That would have made BJ into THE all time great, instead of one of the all times greats, someone who coasted on natural ability and technique and heart. A lot of people don't understand that getting your ass kicked while in training camp by people who are almost as good, if not better than you, is what makes fighters peak at the right moment, during the fight.

That's training level more than career and financial mgmt though. I do agree but with Nick, it doesnt seem his game or cardio or whatever is at issue. He's always bitching about someone not telling him about the conference call until the day before....find that hard to beleive. And his lack of "compensation" when he starts skipping out on the biggest then pay day of his life.

Something aint behind the wheel there.

Yeah, I see what you are saying, but so far, I have yet to hear anyone say Cesar is fucking over any of his fighters and their career, in terms of money. Maybe Nick's problem is he trains so much that he's hardly ever around Cesar, what with all the different types of training methods Nick is known for, that either Cesar either forgets to mention to Nick his responsibilities, or Nick just doesn't really care to have to worry about any of that media stuff. I think the latter is mostly true. I've seen Nick himself say on many occasions that he wasn't aware of certain media obligations until it was the last minute. Now, the question is, Is that Cesar's fault, and if so, is that proof that Cesar is doing his fighters a disservice? I'm not sure that's the case.. Who knows...
3/9/13 5:08 PM
Mr Bungle

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Wasa-B -

I don't think Nick being a HS dropout has anything to do with his current situation. I'm a HS dropout, I quit 12 days before graduation. I think Nick's problem is an "anti-social" type personality. I suffer from that as well. I hate having to meet new people. Having to go places where I'm not comfortable. Some people don't need to have the types of interactions with other people like most "normal" people do.

Just saying, If I was in Nick's shoes, and I was in the spotlight like Nick is, being a pothead with the social skills to deal with other peoples bullshit, I'd have a hard time dealing with that mess as well.
3/9/13 8:44 PM
WoodenPupa

GayGuardMooseSaucy - 
Wasa-B -

Holy shit. Well, that explains a lot...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.