UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jds is gonna take hunt down

3/9/13 2:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And sub him in the first or second. Title shot and too much money at stake to be a tough guy. Don't shoot the messenger just want to manage everyone's expectations that were clamoring for the fight expecting a barn burner. Phone Post
3/9/13 2:10 PM
suess
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

k

3/9/13 2:10 PM
ranier wolfcastle
934 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i expect something similar

3/9/13 2:11 PM
Nexuscrawlers
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he will try to strike from distance and clinch/TD when hunt gets in close. Phone Post
3/9/13 2:11 PM
yabadaba
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think JDS will take him down and win the fight that way but I don't know if he'll sub him.

3/9/13 2:14 PM
Rahjai
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

unless Hunt KO's him before! Booyah!

Hunt 4 life.

Pride never die!
3/9/13 2:17 PM
QBBX51

I honestly see JDS doing this as well. He just got crushed on the feet and when asked about it he said something to the effect of he should have tried more takedowns etc; that his Jitz are better than people think and he wants to prove it. I see him just grinding a decision

(not saying a boring fight or anything just saying I agree with the general consensus here on JDS wanting to get right back into the title pic)
3/9/13 2:17 PM
QBBX51

that being said....Im def pulling for Hunto
3/9/13 2:22 PM
rockwell
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well you would have to figure that taking Hunt down is the smartest gameplay for JDS.

HOWEVER, JDS has never really shown what his offensive wrestling is like. He may have it. He may not.

So then we can talk about CAN he take Hunt down?

Then we move onto submissions. CAN JDS sub Hunt? Struve couldn't. I mean anyone could get caught in a sub but Hunt displayed nice sub defence against a more proven sub fighter in Struve.

Hunt is a big, strong guy and his TDD and sub defence has looked much improved.

My only real concern for Hunt is his cardio. I hope he is training like a beast for this one. Phone Post
3/9/13 2:27 PM
HandyDarsh
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/9/13 2:32 PM
HandyDarsh
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega 2013 -  Why? He's never been knocked out or down,iirc. He's faster, has longer reach and probably hits just as hard as hunt. JDS by tko, IMO... Phone Post

down goes junior

3/9/13 2:34 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

omega 2013 - Why? He's never been knocked out or down,iirc. He's faster, has longer reach and probably hits just as hard as hunt. JDS by tko, IMO... Phone Post
Because if he grapples with hunt he has like a 90% chance to win and if he stands with hunt its like a 60% chance. Phone Post
3/9/13 2:34 PM
KingOfFighters

ARCHERS!!!!!!!!! PREPARE THE DOWN VOTES!!!!
3/9/13 2:36 PM
Masakyst
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HandyDarsh - 
omega 2013 -  Why? He's never been knocked out or down,iirc. He's faster, has longer reach and probably hits just as hard as hunt. JDS by tko, IMO... Phone Post

down goes junior

Man, if he lets Hunt hit him like that...
3/10/13 12:11 AM
knuckleballs

I love Hunto just as much as the next guy, but Junior has beaten WAY better mixed martial artists than Hunto has. If McCorkle could figure out how to beat Hunto, JDS should be able to figure out how to beat him, too.
3/10/13 12:27 AM
knuckleballs

Also, i hate this implication that taking someone down is a dirty, sissy thing to do. This is what happens in the natural course of a fight. If someone doesn't want to be taken down, they have to learn some takedown defense, and learn how to get back up. If a fighter does that to another fighter, he's smart and increases his chance of not getting hurt and winning. That's why this is mixed martial arts and not kickboxing. JDS mixing it up is what he should be doing. Hunt landed a takedown on Struve, and that might have helped his strking in that fight. A great mixed martial artist evolves. We shouldn't expect anything less....
3/10/13 12:37 AM
AndersonSilvasMoney
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knuckleballs - Also, i hate this implication that taking someone down is a dirty, sissy thing to do. This is what happens in the natural course of a fight. If someone doesn't want to be taken down, they have to learn some takedown defense, and learn how to get back up. If a fighter does that to another fighter, he's smart and increases his chance of not getting hurt and winning. That's why this is mixed martial arts and not kickboxing. JDS mixing it up is what he should be doing. Hunt landed a takedown on Struve, and that might have helped his strking in that fight. A great mixed martial artist evolves. We shouldn't expect anything less....

I think the reason this strategy gets beat up is two-fold:

1. Schaub-Johnson: taking down someone and doing absolutely nothing effective (improving position, sub attempts, ground and pound, etc.) has been a way for fighters to ride out wins when they know they have no other option. Yes, the other fighter should learn to defend the takedown, but that doesn't mean the lay-and-prayer shouldn't be critiqued for not trying to finish the fight, or at least effectively damage their opponent.

2. When you have two fighters that - if they stood - should create a brutal stand-up war, then people tend to get disappointed if it doesn't work out that way. I think its understandable that people would love to see a blood-and-guts-type of war between Hunt and JDS, even if JDS using his jitz makes sense and could be equally as entertaining. Obviously, this reason is less convincing than the first.
3/10/13 3:32 AM
knuckleballs

AndersonSilvasMoney - 
knuckleballs - Also, i hate this implication that taking someone down is a dirty, sissy thing to do. This is what happens in the natural course of a fight. If someone doesn't want to be taken down, they have to learn some takedown defense, and learn how to get back up. If a fighter does that to another fighter, he's smart and increases his chance of not getting hurt and winning. That's why this is mixed martial arts and not kickboxing. JDS mixing it up is what he should be doing. Hunt landed a takedown on Struve, and that might have helped his strking in that fight. A great mixed martial artist evolves. We shouldn't expect anything less....

I think the reason this strategy gets beat up is two-fold:

1. Schaub-Johnson: taking down someone and doing absolutely nothing effective (improving position, sub attempts, ground and pound, etc.) has been a way for fighters to ride out wins when they know they have no other option. Yes, the other fighter should learn to defend the takedown, but that doesn't mean the lay-and-prayer shouldn't be critiqued for not trying to finish the fight, or at least effectively damage their opponent.

2. When you have two fighters that - if they stood - should create a brutal stand-up war, then people tend to get disappointed if it doesn't work out that way. I think its understandable that people would love to see a blood-and-guts-type of war between Hunt and JDS, even if JDS using his jitz makes sense and could be equally as entertaining. Obviously, this reason is less convincing than the first.

You are totally right. I think that what i am trying to advocate is that even the worse lay and pray is a part of THIS great sport. Again, there is a reason why Kickboxing isn't nearly as popular as MMA. Why? It's because MMA allows takedowns, grappling and ground fighting in conjunction with strking. So, why bitch about the takedown, grappling and ground figting if you are a fan of MMA? This IS what it is. It's like bitching about a Zebra for having stripes.

Many people bitch about Edgar and Machida's striking. People bitch about Fitch and McKee's grappling. Ultimately, they are bitching about their MMA. If people don't want to see these great fighters win using their superior MMA, then they aren't really fans.

Back to your first point. The person to blame for the Schaub/Johnson fight is Johnson not Schaub. The guy doesn't train his takedowns and ground game like a high-level fighter should. Shaub was increasing his chance of winning AND protecting his health. Why should he do any different? If Johnson wants to bang, then he can go to K-1 and bang there. This is MMA, and it's as close to "anything goes" as it gets in combat sports. Takedowns are a part of this reality. Point being- if one is going to get mad and frustrated with anyone, then do it towards the guy on the bottom. He should be better prepared for a fight. Ultimately, if you don't like all the elements of MMA, go and watch kickboxing then.
3/10/13 4:27 AM
jmont

HandyDarsh -

down goes junior

He wont be worried about the takedown tho Phone Post
3/10/13 4:34 AM
madmav
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jmont - 
HandyDarsh -

down goes junior

He wont be worried about the takedown tho Phone Post

same for hunt..

3/10/13 7:30 AM
The_Spider
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see this going like JDS vs Carwin, where he mixed things up by taking someone down for a change.
3/10/13 7:49 AM
Broder

Anderson's BBC in my Goku -  And sub him in the first or second. Title shot and too much money at stake to be a tough guy. Don't shoot the messenger just want to manage everyone's expectations that were clamoring for the fight expecting a barn burner. Phone Post

I think JDS will keep the fight standing unless he finds that he can't hang with Hunt standing. I believe JDS is going to win a decision in a mostly standup fight.
3/10/13 8:12 AM
Sudo21
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This will be decided in stand-up. JDS will probably go for some takedowns, but they will return quickly to stand-up and box.

JDS by UD.
3/10/13 8:35 AM
Gokudamus stole my name
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldnt be surprised if Junior decides to showcase his grappling in this fight. It seems like the sensible thing to do

On the feet this fight will be decided by a couple of factors

How well Hunt can defend the straights to the body because those setup Juniors combos to the head, If Hunt is foolish enough to rush Junior as he steps out and get caught with a counter left hook (that how Manhoef KOd him)

How well Hunt can use his leg kicks to beat up Juniors legs, JDS rarely checks kicks. If Hunt can catch Junior inbetween combinations, his bread and butter is the left hook as his opponent is pulling back his right hand or cross counter over the jab

3/10/13 9:28 AM
mdfmma123
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rockwell - Well you would have to figure that taking Hunt down is the smartest gameplay for JDS.

HOWEVER, JDS has never really shown what his offensive wrestling is like. He may have it. He may not.

So then we can talk about CAN he take Hunt down?

Then we move onto submissions. CAN JDS sub Hunt? Struve couldn't. I mean anyone could get caught in a sub but Hunt displayed nice sub defence against a more proven sub fighter in Struve.

Hunt is a big, strong guy and his TDD and sub defence has looked much improved.

My only real concern for Hunt is his cardio. I hope he is training like a beast for this one. Phone Post
If JDS can take Carwin down than you can bet your ass he can easily take Hunt down. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.