UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jds is gonna take hunt down

3/10/13 10:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Anderson's BBC in my Goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

onandon -

Granted I'm probably a noob compared to most of you posting, but I've never seen JDS pull any sort of ground game and I don't think he'll be too keen to change things so drastically for one fight. This is going to be a stand up war, and Hunt has a very good chance of landing a couple strikes that will destroy JDS like no other MMA striker ever could. I love both fighters and see it going either way, but if I had to put money on it I would go with Hunto. 

U kind of answered your own question tuf noob. Even if jds has superior stand up hunts standup is also very good and he has dangerous power. Why risk standing in that case when he could easily take hunto down and win? Phone Post
3/10/13 11:09 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Masakyst -
HandyDarsh - 
omega 2013 -  Why? He's never been knocked out or down,iirc. He's faster, has longer reach and probably hits just as hard as hunt. JDS by tko, IMO... Phone Post

down goes junior

Man, if he lets Hunt hit him like that...
Hunt can't put that kind of pressure or have threat of a takedown though Phone Post
3/10/13 11:32 AM
CHILLITACO
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

knuckleballs - I love Hunto just as much as the next guy, but Junior has beaten WAY better mixed martial artists than Hunto has. If McCorkle could figure out how to beat Hunto, JDS should be able to figure out how to beat him, too.
Sadly I agree with this I actually like both guys.

Jds' plan vs cain was non existant. Hands down and circle. . I mean clearly he wasn't himself. But props to cain he destroyed and won.

If hds has ANY game plan on this one he should win it. Phone Post
3/10/13 11:57 AM
alkysmurf
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is it assumed that A: JDS can take hunt down? and B: catch him in a sub or effective GnP?

If the struve fight showed anything its that marks defense works well enough vs a high level JJ game. Phone Post
3/10/13 12:06 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alkysmurf - Why is it assumed that A: JDS can take hunt down? and B: catch him in a sub or effective GnP?

If the struve fight showed anything its that marks defense works well enough vs a high level JJ game. Phone Post
He showed some pretty good wrestling against Carwin and Hunt doesn't defend takedowns very well. The submission part is all based on rumors and speculation, we still don't really know how good his ground game is. I doubt he has a better submission game than Struve; I'll be surprised if he gets a submission. Phone Post
3/10/13 12:20 PM
R00STER
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AndersonSilvasMoney - 
knuckleballs - Also, i hate this implication that taking someone down is a dirty, sissy thing to do. This is what happens in the natural course of a fight. If someone doesn't want to be taken down, they have to learn some takedown defense, and learn how to get back up. If a fighter does that to another fighter, he's smart and increases his chance of not getting hurt and winning. That's why this is mixed martial arts and not kickboxing. JDS mixing it up is what he should be doing. Hunt landed a takedown on Struve, and that might have helped his strking in that fight. A great mixed martial artist evolves. We shouldn't expect anything less....

I think the reason this strategy gets beat up is two-fold:

1. Schaub-Johnson: taking down someone and doing absolutely nothing effective (improving position, sub attempts, ground and pound, etc.) has been a way for fighters to ride out wins when they know they have no other option. Yes, the other fighter should learn to defend the takedown, but that doesn't mean the lay-and-prayer shouldn't be critiqued for not trying to finish the fight, or at least effectively damage their opponent.

2. When you have two fighters that - if they stood - should create a brutal stand-up war, then people tend to get disappointed if it doesn't work out that way. I think its understandable that people would love to see a blood-and-guts-type of war between Hunt and JDS, even if JDS using his jitz makes sense and could be equally as entertaining. Obviously, this reason is less convincing than the first.

In addition to these two points, you're also talking about a guy in Junior who makes no qualms that he is a boxer and that's how he plans to win every fight. When someone like that is matched up with another purely stand-up fighter, it's reasonable to be disappointed if one guy decides to make it a grappling affair. It doesn't mean Junior is a chump or whatever, but it's certainly not what everyone was hoping for when they Twitter bombed Dana for this fight.
3/10/13 12:33 PM
Bossk
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering if we would see more of Hunt's kicks, but I think if he is worried about the takedowns more then we won't see them as much. I would really love to see Hunt mix up his strikes more.

3/10/13 12:44 PM
kingkoopa

knuckleballs -
AndersonSilvasMoney - 
knuckleballs - Also, i hate this implication that taking someone down is a dirty, sissy thing to do. This is what happens in the natural course of a fight. If someone doesn't want to be taken down, they have to learn some takedown defense, and learn how to get back up. If a fighter does that to another fighter, he's smart and increases his chance of not getting hurt and winning. That's why this is mixed martial arts and not kickboxing. JDS mixing it up is what he should be doing. Hunt landed a takedown on Struve, and that might have helped his strking in that fight. A great mixed martial artist evolves. We shouldn't expect anything less....

I think the reason this strategy gets beat up is two-fold:

1. Schaub-Johnson: taking down someone and doing absolutely nothing effective (improving position, sub attempts, ground and pound, etc.) has been a way for fighters to ride out wins when they know they have no other option. Yes, the other fighter should learn to defend the takedown, but that doesn't mean the lay-and-prayer shouldn't be critiqued for not trying to finish the fight, or at least effectively damage their opponent.

2. When you have two fighters that - if they stood - should create a brutal stand-up war, then people tend to get disappointed if it doesn't work out that way. I think its understandable that people would love to see a blood-and-guts-type of war between Hunt and JDS, even if JDS using his jitz makes sense and could be equally as entertaining. Obviously, this reason is less convincing than the first.

You are totally right. I think that what i am trying to advocate is that even the worse lay and pray is a part of THIS great sport. Again, there is a reason why Kickboxing isn't nearly as popular as MMA. Why? It's because MMA allows takedowns, grappling and ground fighting in conjunction with strking. So, why bitch about the takedown, grappling and ground figting if you are a fan of MMA? This IS what it is. It's like bitching about a Zebra for having stripes.

Many people bitch about Edgar and Machida's striking. People bitch about Fitch and McKee's grappling. Ultimately, they are bitching about their MMA. If people don't want to see these great fighters win using their superior MMA, then they aren't really fans.

Back to your first point. The person to blame for the Schaub/Johnson fight is Johnson not Schaub. The guy doesn't train his takedowns and ground game like a high-level fighter should. Shaub was increasing his chance of winning AND protecting his health. Why should he do any different? If Johnson wants to bang, then he can go to K-1 and bang there. This is MMA, and it's as close to "anything goes" as it gets in combat sports. Takedowns are a part of this reality. Point being- if one is going to get mad and frustrated with anyone, then do it towards the guy on the bottom. He should be better prepared for a fight. Ultimately, if you don't like all the elements of MMA, go and watch kickboxing then.
A takedown with no follow up is not fighting. It's effectively avoiding the fight. Guys pull guard yet the guy on top gets viewed as winning that exchange.

Stop trying to defend fighters who rather win rounds via stalemate as opposed to actual fighting. There's no honor in that so stop apologizing for lay n pray Phone Post
3/10/13 12:57 PM
orcus

How many headshots did Hunt land to Struve over the course of their fight before putting Struve away? And before that Struve's chin was actually questioned, having been smashed in seconds by Nelson and JDS himself.

Does anyone really think JDS will fold before Struve even if Hunt lands some shots?

3/10/13 1:19 PM
Bishop297

knuckleballs - I love Hunto just as much as the next guy, but Junior has beaten WAY better mixed martial artists than Hunto has. If McCorkle could figure out how to beat Hunto, JDS should be able to figure out how to beat him, too.
I agree with you, but hunts overall game is vastly improved since that fight, and juniors offensive bjj has never been tested in the UFC Phone Post
3/11/13 2:34 PM
rockwell
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mdfmma123 -
rockwell - Well you would have to figure that taking Hunt down is the smartest gameplay for JDS.

HOWEVER, JDS has never really shown what his offensive wrestling is like. He may have it. He may not.

So then we can talk about CAN he take Hunt down?

Then we move onto submissions. CAN JDS sub Hunt? Struve couldn't. I mean anyone could get caught in a sub but Hunt displayed nice sub defence against a more proven sub fighter in Struve.

Hunt is a big, strong guy and his TDD and sub defence has looked much improved.

My only real concern for Hunt is his cardio. I hope he is training like a beast for this one. Phone Post
If JDS can take Carwin down than you can bet your ass he can easily take Hunt down. Phone Post
I'm not sure that a few TDs against Carwin display his great wrestling. Don't get me wrong it surprised me that he did/could.

But I think it also surprised Carwin to an extent and he didn't seem ready to defend the TD (similar to BJ vs Fitch fight).

Also I'm not sure that the Carwin we saw against JDS was the same one we saw against Mir, for example, as he has looked out of sorts after what happened in the Brock fight, his surgery and layoff.

I guess we will see come UFC 160 :) Phone Post
3/11/13 2:54 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JDS fans better hope that's his gameplan, otherwise Junior's gonna get battered standing up.
3/23/13 6:47 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

gokudamus bitches

"You have to get prepared to fight anywhere," said dos Santos. "I'm training a lot in my jiu-jitsu skills, and I think I'm getting more confident in that area. If I feel I have to take him down, I will do that, and I will be looking to submit him."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.