UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Thinking of getting into comics...

3/9/13 6:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I havent bought a comic for probably 15 years (GI. Joe!) but this forum has got me thinking.

I have no local comic shop so I downloaded Comixology. Is this a good way of going about it? I know my Uncle Torrence has a huge collection of digital books but is the reading experience with Comicat and those files comparable to Comixology? Phone Post
3/9/13 7:40 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArse - I havent bought a comic for probably 15 years (GI. Joe!) but this forum has got me thinking.

I have no local comic shop so I downloaded Comixology. Is this a good way of going about it? I know my Uncle Torrence has a huge collection of digital books but is the reading experience with Comicat and those files comparable to Comixology? Phone Post
Yeah, It's the same in my opinion. I love ComiCat. Torrents are good, my recommendation if you're going to download weeklies is to buy the Trade paperback when it comes out. Phone Post
3/9/13 7:53 PM
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trade paperbacks are collected issues for a particular arc right? I have no problem buying them to support the industry. Phone Post
3/9/13 8:00 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
346 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArse - Trade paperbacks are collected issues for a particular arc right? I have no problem buying them to support the industry. Phone Post
Correct they usually collect about 5 issues.

Here's what I do, I have a pull list that the store uses to pull my weekly books. I usually go every two weeks and pick up. I download on release day to read and then go pick up my books when I can. Phone Post
3/9/13 8:20 PM
Mumbly Joe
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should also try your local libraries. Mine has a good website where I can search for a ton of different trades (superhero, indy, etc.) and then place a hold.
3/12/13 3:03 PM
Stickgrappler
1353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

libraries IMO helped the popularity of gn's/tpb's as well as manga explode.
3/12/13 3:04 PM
Stickgrappler
1353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA, thought you meant you wanted to work on a comic and create
3/12/13 8:44 PM
bonersaurus
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comixology also has .99 cent sales on selected runs of Marvel comics Mondays and Fridays. I've spent a lot on those over the last few months. Phone Post
3/13/13 4:57 AM
Augie Max
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com
Marvel Unlimited Subscription is a cheap way to read some great books and not have to worry about storing a ton of heavy cumbersome white boxes while supporting the industry. Phone Post
3/13/13 10:11 AM
BigWilliam
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most collecteds are 6 issues, not 5.
3/13/13 11:01 AM
paw
1311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stickgrappler - libraries IMO helped the popularity of gn's/tpb's as well as manga explode.

Stick is absolutely right about libraries.

For Free:

Check your local library for collected editions.  Also check out the Geek Ground Comics Posted thread which has a host of titles.

To Own:

If there's no local comic book store in your neck of the woods and you want to buy monthly comics, there are a number of online retailers that will allow you to pre-order and then send them to you via mail.  I use Westfield Comics as my main comic retailer.  Just keep in mind that there will be a delay from the time the comic is released until you receive them.

3/15/13 3:24 AM
MixedMartialArse

I downloaded Comixology and the first two issues of Age of Ultron. I guess its getting some hype so as good a place to start as any. Phone Post
3/18/13 6:30 PM
MrMead
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out

Nowhere Men
Saga
Chew
Northlanders (like the new vikings tv show)
3/18/13 6:31 PM
MrMead
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Manhattan Projects is a must read and I really like Bedlam, Morning Glories, Locke and Key
3/19/13 12:49 PM
Stickgrappler

BigWilliam - Most collecteds are 6 issues, not 5.

depends on the storyarc... some writers write them in 4 issues, some in 5.

but then again, you have the special events - where they collect more than 4-6 issues. Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest comes to mind.

-------

MMA,

if you want reco's, there's plenty of threads on here for that, but will throw out some names, not really knowing your preferences/tastes - these may or may not be to your liking ... reco'ing stuff posted here

almost anything Warren Ellis writes is gold for me:

Planetary
Fell
Global Frequency
Gravel

-----

almost anything Robert Kirkman writes is gold:

two of the top selling books monthly currently = The Walking Dead and Invincible

check out also Marvel Max Destroyer; Superpatriot (2 threads)

---------

a new series worth checking out too:

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
The Legend of Luther Strode

----------

loads of classics:

Frank Miller's Batman; Miller's Sin City; Miller's Daredevil;

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen V1-2

loads more.

HTH

Enjoy!
3/19/13 12:51 PM
Stickgrappler

Immortal Iron Fist

new Hawkeye series
3/19/13 1:27 PM
bonersaurus
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArse - I downloaded Comixology and the first two issues of Age of Ultron. I guess its getting some hype so as good a place to start as any. Phone Post
I think a lot of the series have free first issues on Comixology. Invincible, Walking Dead, Saga, Fatale and Manhattan Projects. DC's new 52 has plenty of .99 first issues too. Batman is one of my personal favorites. Phone Post
3/19/13 3:26 PM
A_Butler
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for info as I'm in the same boat. Phone Post
3/20/13 5:35 AM
MixedMartialArse

Stickgrappler -
BigWilliam - Most collecteds are 6 issues, not 5.

depends on the storyarc... some writers write them in 4 issues, some in 5.

but then again, you have the special events - where they collect more than 4-6 issues. Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest comes to mind.

-------

MMA,

if you want reco's, there's plenty of threads on here for that, but will throw out some names, not really knowing your preferences/tastes - these may or may not be to your liking ... reco'ing stuff posted here

almost anything Warren Ellis writes is gold for me:

Planetary
Fell
Global Frequency
Gravel

-----

almost anything Robert Kirkman writes is gold:

two of the top selling books monthly currently = The Walking Dead and Invincible

check out also Marvel Max Destroyer; Superpatriot (2 threads)

---------

a new series worth checking out too:

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode
The Legend of Luther Strode

----------

loads of classics:

Frank Miller's Batman; Miller's Sin City; Miller's Daredevil;

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen V1-2

loads more.

HTH

Enjoy!
Awesome. Will vote up when at a computer (may be a while!). Phone Post
3/20/13 10:17 AM
Stickgrappler

3 Parker gn's:

The Hunter
The Score
The Outfit

no worries on VU... not in this for the VU's. but it's appreciated if u do

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.