UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Lifting & bulking for BJJ

3/10/13 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any recommendations? Phone Post
3/10/13 3:13 AM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clarify the goal and current status

belt level
bjj intense rolling sessions per week
current height/weight waist size

3/10/13 4:44 AM
JFC1001
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why would you bulk for BJJ? Isn't that against the whole point of it? Phone Post
3/10/13 5:18 AM
Flying knee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XmmaAddictX - Any recommendations? Phone Post
You mean add muscle mass? Starting strength program significant increase in calories = bigger/stronger grappler Phone Post
3/10/13 9:13 AM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My apologies, the post was rather vague. Long story short, 16 months ago I was a fat & sloppy 245lb now I am quite lean and keep around 153-157lbs. I am 29yrs old and 5'8". I compete regularly (approximately every month or so) in the feather weight blue belt division. I am not a world class competitor, just a competitive person with a genuine passion for the sport. I have a very clean diet (99% paleo 99% of the time). I train bjj minimum 3 to 4x per week (8-10hrs per week). This breaks down to about 4-5 hours of rolling and the rest would be functional warm ups, technique, and drilling. Included in my training is also one thai boxing class per week (1 hr) and on 2 non BJJ days I do a bodyweight and core circuit (35-45min). This regimen has helped me to lose a lot of weight and keep me lean.

My goals are to move up to light weight (167.5lbs). I find that most people (myself included) cut down to their "proper" weight class but I find this to deplete and drain my energy stores. I am looking to put on a decent amount of muscle (10lbs maybe) while maintaining my current bodyfat percentage of 8-9% or lower.

I have 2 days per week that I can dedicate to lifting. What would benefit me more? Kettlebell training? Or olympic style lifting? Circuit style stuff? I have never done any type of serious weight training before.

I am aware this could take some serious time and a lot of hard work but I look forward to the challenge. I hope thats enough info. I thank you for any input or advice. It will definately be put to use as I am dedicated and serious about achieving this goal.

Ps. Would be nice to achieve if before my 30th birthday in October...

Thanks again. Phone Post
3/10/13 10:08 AM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just focus on squats, bench, deadlifts and over head pressing. Don't over do any of it so you can recover for training. Keep the reps low. Add in some isolation here and there to work on weak areas like upper back and such. Phone Post
3/10/13 10:08 AM
GARRA
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squats, deadlifts, weighted pull ups, shoulder press. 5 x 5 stronglifts pretty good Phone Post
3/10/13 10:11 AM
kyle47129

Stronglifts might be a little much for someone doing so much bjj and stuff, but following something along those lines would be good. Like cut It down to 3x5 and maybe only squat twice a week instead of 3 times. Phone Post
3/10/13 11:48 AM
gusto

why not just up calories a little to see what happens. you might be undereating right now
3/10/13 1:39 PM
1800champagne

Day 1 Squat and bench
Day 2 Deadlift and press
Gradually add in assistance if you want Phone Post
3/10/13 1:57 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Wendler's 531 would be best with all the bjj and thai boxing you're doing.

That way you wont be squatting 2 or 3 times a week and you will have more energy for skills training.
3/10/13 8:37 PM
XmmaAddictX

Provided that I go with an average or standard lifting regime like mentioned above. How much time will a lifting session take in the gym? Really, I am completely new to this. I have a pretty tight schedule between work, training, and my two daughters. I can dedicate 2 days per week (either mon, wed, sun). Phone Post
3/10/13 8:37 PM
XmmaAddictX

And thank you for all your replies. Phone Post
3/10/13 9:04 PM
kyle47129

You can do it in under 30 minutes. The heavier the weights get, the longer it takes. But you should start light. Phone Post
3/10/13 9:14 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say that KB's and or O-lifting would not be the best use of your time (unless you have burning desire to master one of these methods).

Brief, basic, hard training on a very simple plan will deliver amazing results provided you follow this simple formula: Do as many pefect reps as you can on your work sets. Write it down. Next time try to do more than you did last time.

You might try a plan like the this one from my blog:

http://tinyurl.com/bjxwfo2

TAKU

3/10/13 10:13 PM
gusto

Taku - 

I would say that KB's and or O-lifting would not be the best use of your time (unless you have burning desire to master one of these methods).

Brief, basic, hard training on a very simple plan will deliver amazing results provided you follow this simple formula: Do as many pefect reps as you can on your work sets. Write it down. Next time try to do more than you did last time.

You might try a plan like the this one from my blog:

http://tinyurl.com/bjxwfo2

TAKU

might not sound as cool as kettlebells, but i went from 150-205 years ago with this type of program
3/10/13 11:38 PM
None So Blind
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rippetoe has stated in the past that folks who were *very* cautious about eating (if they were in a weight-based sport, which this is) could do Starting Strength 2 days a week instead of 3 and make very solid gains, and neither program would interfere all that much with the other. You wouldn't make it as far strength-wise as if you followed SS's novice program fully, but then again you wouldn't put on the large amount of weight that that would entail.

Day 1 - Squat, Bench, Power Clean, Chin Ups or Pull Ups

Day 2 - Squat, Press, Deadlift, Chin Ups or Pull Ups
3/10/13 11:46 PM
XmmaAddictX

Thanks Taku, always great info on your blog. looks like the double 8 program is gonna be the way to go for me. Fits perfectly into my crazy schedule and leaves plenty of time for my family and other training. Thank you. Phone Post
3/11/13 11:30 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

XmmaAddictX,

Hope it works out for you. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

TAKU

3/11/13 11:38 PM
Wet

In BJJ, NOTHING is more important than your PULLING movements (Rows, Hammer Curls, Pull Ups).

Bench press? No. Maybe elbows-in dumbbell presses to mimic posturing up movement. But other than that, when do you need to press in BJJ?

Squat and Deadlift? High rep squats might be good just to work the core and get a good cardio workout, but other than that, what do you need leg strength for when rolling?
3/11/13 11:50 PM
gusto

"what do you need leg strength for when rolling?"

standing up in guard/breaking guard
3/12/13 12:18 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You got to have balance (push/pull) or you're going to get injured.
3/12/13 12:21 AM
None So Blind
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wet - In BJJ, NOTHING is more important than your PULLING movements (Rows, Hammer Curls, Pull Ups).

Bench press? No. Maybe elbows-in dumbbell presses to mimic posturing up movement. But other than that, when do you need to press in BJJ?

Squat and Deadlift? High rep squats might be good just to work the core and get a good cardio workout, but other than that, what do you need leg strength for when rolling?

I once heard a brown belt tell me that his least favorite newbie to roll with was not a spastic karate or kung fu dude, not a super aggressive D-1 wrestler, and not a judo guy....but a guy with a 400+ pound deadlift. Guys that came in with that level of strength or higher made all the mistakes that any newbie makes, but once they wised up, breaking their posture was a bitch....
3/12/13 2:19 AM
Wet

gusto - "what do you need leg strength for when rolling?"

standing up in guard/breaking guard

Unless your INCREDIBLY weak there is no reason you shouldnt be able to stand up in guard without having to start squatting
3/12/13 2:21 AM
Wet

JamesDean57 - You got to have balance (push/pull) or you're going to get injured.

No. You need pull to balance push or you'll get injured. You dont need push to balance pull

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.