UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Let's talk about lower back pain... (L2-L5)

3/10/13 12:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
G-Hands
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/10/13 12:42 AM

So, now that I'm 34 and have been training some type of combat art for 15+ yrs, the lower back is starting to become an issue.

Pain in this area of the back http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/figures/A00311F01.jpg --generally the L2 - L5 area-- started to sideline me about 18 months ago.

It still acts up, and I know there are a lot of us that face this. What do you find best helps it?

I've found the basic physical therapy stretches are by far the best help. And I complement it with intermittent foam rolling.

Anyone else have any recommended things for the lower back?

Your thoughts and/or recommendations on this are appreciated.
3/10/13 12:43 AM
G-Hands
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

btw, the impetus for this thread was two fold:

1. pain at open mat today that ended my rolling early

2. rogan's thread about rolfing and decompression
3/10/13 4:43 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vazzo - Work on your core man it's the only way to help your lower back! Phone Post
You man here speaks the troof. Phone Post
3/10/13 4:49 AM
Loadin76
983 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fold a towel in thirds, roll it up and wrap it with tape, anytime your in the seated position put it behind you lower back and lean back. Looks akward as fuck but it helps. I am going through it right now, just got diagnosed with bulging discs.

3/10/13 4:51 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Plenty of stretching, plenty of fluids, go and see a decent physio and strengthen your core. If you are fat, lost weight and take care of yourself. Also don't squat or deadlift if you have lower back issues. Good luck Phone Post
3/10/13 8:24 AM
Kostakio
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read a book called Healing Back Pain by Dr. John Sarno and begin practicing Hatha Yoga (and eventually Ashtanga Yoga).

You're welcome. Phone Post
3/10/13 11:02 AM
DiazsBongWater
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood - Stop rolling you old bastard. Phone Post
Hahaha

Serious tho, core work and a good mattress Phone Post
3/10/13 11:06 AM
KlinAtizer
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post
3/10/13 11:11 AM
Flyers179
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
3/10/13 11:25 AM
CHILLITACO
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JFC1001 -
vazzo - Work on your core man it's the only way to help your lower back! Phone Post
You man here speaks the troof. Phone Post
Definitely and these little back balls are the shit!
Phone Post
3/10/13 11:26 AM
CHILLITACO
701 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WiqedWhite - Drink lots of water, get as much protein into your diet as possible, fish oil, never heat a herniated disc only use ice and as often as you can, stretch, avoid heavy lifting and stay positive Phone Post
That's actually awesome advice in such a small sentence. Phone Post
3/10/13 11:29 AM
DanteHec
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub! Phone Post
3/10/13 12:09 PM
garrote
368 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later. My back is fucked. Phone Post
3/10/13 12:20 PM
Random Poster

I had lower back surgery in November 2011. Yoga,swimming and PT stretches work the best for me.

goodluck
3/10/13 12:27 PM
GarlicSauce

Great advice here.
3/10/13 12:53 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A really good thing you can do daily:

Lie down with your butt up against a chair, couch, etc so that your legs form a right angle (like you were sitting in a chair sideways).

Make sure your legs can rest on whatever you are lying against and relax them completely. Keep your back flat and remain there for 15 minutes.

This simple position takes pressure off of your hip flexors while keeping your back in a perfectly flat position. It seems silly, but doing this very simple thing for 15 minutes a day, over time, could solve back problems for over 50% of people by itself.

It's those damn chairs, man. One of the more useful, and yet unfortunate, inventions in human history. Phone Post
3/10/13 2:59 PM
G-Hands

thanks for all the great advice folks.

Gonna add some core work to my gym time (I never work the core) & get back to the stretching/physical therapy. Also that laying on the back for 15min too.

Good stuff.

Eventually, I see yoga as a big part of my future. I've always been a big fan of what it can do, but haven't carved out the time to add it to my schedule.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.