UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Prowler worth the purchase?

3/10/13 4:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
torquemada
282 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thinking about getting one for home gym.
Full disclosure; I pushed a stalled car out of traffic recently and was shocked at how out of breath I was. Phone Post
3/10/13 6:54 PM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't used one before but I think we I have room for one I'll buy one also. Everyone seems to like them Phone Post
3/10/13 7:03 PM
AdrianK
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are a pretty awesome conditioning tool for sure. Many ways to use them, push, pull, drag, arm over arm rope pulls, harness pulls, high bar, low bar.

Whether they are worth the price tag though depends on how much disposable income you have for things like that I guess. I think a lot of places way overcharge for them.

In my opinion the best way to go and the way I went was to steal the very simple design from what you see on the internet ads and youtube videos, buy what you need from a local scrap/used steel dealer and make your own. Or if you aren't able to make your own if you have a friend who welds or even if you pay a decent fabricator to throw it together for you you will save a bundle on the purchase price and shipping in comparison.

Most fab shops charge by the hour or even at a flat rate for the job it's not going to take them long to slap something that simple together especially if you are bringing them the steel already cut to size and a diagram of what you want it's like a half hour job at most. Once they weld it up for you you go buy some tremclad spraypaint and give it your own cool paint job.
3/10/13 8:10 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I my opinion they are not worth the money. Here are a few items from my YouTube channel and blog:

http://tinyurl.com/a8s933a  <-YouTube

http://hybridfitness.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/sled/ <-Blog

TAKU

3/10/13 8:43 PM
DaddyO4
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

google black widow .This guy makes really good stuff at good prices.
3/11/13 12:53 AM
Chocolate Shatner
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Prowler is a very awesome piece of equipment, but to be honest, there are a lot of ways to do the same thing with cheaper stuff.

Make a sled out of an old tire, some decent amount of rope, and add weights to that. I made mine using a total of 10 dollars in equipment (10 meters of rope, two eyebolts). My added weight is some rocks that I had in my garden. Drag that fucking thing up a hill for a while.

If you want to push instead of pull, put your car in neutral. As you noticed, you get a good workout pushing that fucker around. I can remember semi-fondly as a high school kid pushing my father's 1986 Bronco II for leg work. My dad would sit in the driver's seat "encouraging" me, and when we hit the end of the block (the end of each sprint push), I'd rest, go around to the front of the truck, and push the fucker back to the house.
3/11/13 2:18 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta agree with the "not worth it" crowd. I have a Prowler. I love it. It's really just kind of a fun toy for me though. Plenty of other ways to do similar conditioning that aren't nearly as expensive.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.