UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Spent the weekend training with Saulo

3/11/13 4:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was pretty much amazing. Some of the stuff about understanding the real point of positions and techniques I would of never understood had it not been a full 3 days. He didn't teach anything crazy but the repetition and the constant reminder of the why in each position drove everything home.

If you ever get a chance to train with him do it..

*just bragging*
3/11/13 4:47 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any particularly poignant takeaways? Pretty jealous here

3/11/13 4:55 PM
checkuroil
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does he teach Saturday classes at university of jj Phone Post
3/11/13 5:06 PM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

X_Rated - 

Any particularly poignant takeaways? Pretty jealous here

I don't know about poignant but for me the biggest lightbulb moment was when he was showing us guard pass after guard pass. He explained why they worked and why so many people fail at them and it always boiled down to lateral movement and finding proper balance.

Basically for me the reason so many of my passes fail is I never took the time to understand the balance through out the movement. Instead I just tried to approximate the movement going through the steps like I was painting by numbers. Every seminar of his I have been to I have always heard him say you have to understand the position but it never clicked what he really meant till now.

I am doing a disservice to the idea he was sharing but trying to put into my own words.
3/11/13 5:07 PM
Judo Scott

checkuroil -  Does he teach Saturday classes at university of jj Phone Post

it was a seminar
3/11/13 7:34 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saulo's a great instructor ,he showed jordan some stuff when he was 11 and he still puts it to use.

now if i could just find the  11/2 hr  vid from the private,that would be great.

3/12/13 12:08 AM
VincentVega
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scott, what rank are you under Saulo? Phone Post
3/12/13 2:11 AM
Judo Scott

I'm a purple under Scott Oates who's a Saulo Black Belt
3/12/13 4:33 AM
VincentVega
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool! We met. Im the BB from NJ, Chris Brough. It was great meeting you, and yes the event was awesome!! Phone Post
3/12/13 9:04 AM
andre
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exactly my experience with him. Phone Post
3/12/13 10:14 AM
Judo Scott

VincentVega -  Very cool! We met. Im the BB from NJ, Chris Brough. It was great meeting you, and yes the event was awesome!! Phone Post

It was great meeting you Chris :-)
3/12/13 12:15 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - 

saulo's a great instructor ,he showed jordan some stuff when he was 11 and he still puts it to use.

now if i could just find the  11/2 hr  vid from the private,that would be great.

He lets you take videos during private lessons? Wonder if he still allows that...i know Xande doesn't.
3/12/13 2:45 PM
Breeze05
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saulo's Jits is simple and effective with his personal expericence add. I learned alot from his DVDs and seminar I went to about 3 years ago in Va Beach.
3/12/13 3:15 PM
mbalz izhairy

Saulo was doing stuff in 1997 that people have just caught on to in the last few years. For a few years in the late 90's he was untouchable.
3/12/13 10:15 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

icon115 - 
12 - 

He lets you take videos during private lessons? Wonder if he still allows that...i know Xande doesn't.

yep,and we chanted sau loooooooooooooooooooo    sau looooooooooooo when he was dn 4-0 to jordan in the

world championships  with 1 min left . as the crowd roared   (saulo and i )  saulo passes guard takes the back

and time runs out.saulo wins 7 -4  and everyone was happy.

i think i only paid 80.00 or a 100.00 bucks.caique set it up,could  have been when  jordan was teaching caiques kids classes. that lite a fire under some of his guys

3/12/13 11:38 PM
amc6825
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Jordan competed against him years later? I don't really understand Phone Post
3/13/13 1:02 AM

amc6825 -  So Jordan competed against him years later? I don't really understand Phone Post

no no ,jordan was just a kid  ,.it was saulo being a nice man a making a little kid feel good.

it was a private lesson ,they sparred and  the last min  was the count dn with saulo doing the play x play.

(while sparring)

just a side of saulo ppl might not see.he was very cool AND IT WAS A GREAT LESSON

3/13/13 8:34 AM
CodeGeek
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best part of training with Saulo is when he loudly exclaims "YES!!" when you do something right.
3/13/13 11:22 AM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 - Very cool. Hope to train with him someday.
3/13/13 11:49 AM
Judo Scott

CodeGeek - The best part of training with Saulo is when he loudly exclaims "YES!!" when you do something right.

LOL yeah it definitely feels like earning a gold star from the teacher. :-)
3/13/13 2:19 PM

icon115 - 12 - Very cool. Hope to train with him someday.

just like scott said "amazing"

3/14/13 10:54 AM
BigEyedFish
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gonna be in SD in November. Really going to try and get a private with him.
3/17/13 5:04 AM
ElFeroz

Saulo loves to re create the Mundial feeling. He would say " Saulo passes and the crowd chants Saulo Saulo..... It's pretty cool even though he's smashing the fuck out of you. So he just doesn't do that to little kids,you may feel like one Lol Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.