UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How long to a blue belt at your school?

3/11/13 11:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mishto chuckles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had an odd path to Jiu Jitsu bc I did nogi and MMA for around 4 years before I got in the the gi... So I got my blue after 6 months or so. I've been seeing a few people getting blues in less than a year with average amounts of training nothing super dedicated... The school I'm at seems to be around the 1.5 year mark... There was a guy here that just got his blue after a year but he trains 6 days a week and more than once a day. Phone Post
3/11/13 11:50 PM
dojo stormer
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously?
Hasn't this been done to death?
3/11/13 11:57 PM
mishto chuckles

dojo stormer - Seriously?
Hasn't this been done to death?
Will this thread please you more if I bring up Lloyd Irvin? Phone Post
3/12/13 12:02 AM
KC007

About 2 years training minimum 3 times/week. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:55 AM
ROFL

took me two years, 4 times a week.
3/12/13 1:27 AM
SpeedKing9
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I received my blue in 1 year, 5-6 times a week. No prior grappling experience.
3/12/13 1:52 AM
X_Rated
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel like the standards are generally dropping for blue belts.. Dunno if it's just me but it seems people are getting promoted faster but they aren't learning any faster. Phone Post
3/12/13 2:13 AM
Shinsplint
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say 3ish.
3/12/13 2:24 AM
burner22
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KC007 - About 2 years training minimum 3 times/week. Phone Post
This Phone Post
3/12/13 2:28 AM
value tudo

2.5 years. Our white belts are killers by the time they get their blue belts.
3/12/13 2:44 AM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/12/13 2:48 AM
I don't give out a blue belt less than 2 years sometimes longer. I expect my students to be well rounded and have to train in self defense, vale-tudo and competition techniques along with learning the fundamentals of boxing which is covered in the VT classes. In the first 6 months they will be sparring with gloves working on their strike defense and offense from standing and on the ground.

I don't care how many medal they win they still have to wait 2 years plus if they can't stop from getting their face punched in during training they then it will take even longer.

3/12/13 3:55 AM
TheMessiah

I received mine in 15 months.. Training 2/3 times a week and competing at that time..

Just saw a guy get his blue after 13 months of training at 2/4 times a week. Wasn't to impressed by him getting it so quickly but who am I to say anything. Phone Post
3/12/13 4:00 AM
Massa
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your 6 months sounds reasonable, given your background.

Depends on the athlete when they start from scratch 1.5 to 3 years depending on the amount of mat time and competitions.

Getting your Blue Belt should be straight forward at a fully functioning club.
3/12/13 4:42 AM
90lb_weakling
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who cares about your stupid blue belts. Just train and shut the fuck up. BJJ is becoming ridiculous.
3/12/13 6:29 AM
mishto chuckles

90lb_weakling - Who cares about your stupid blue belts. Just train and shut the fuck up. BJJ is becoming ridiculous.

yeah thats sounds nice bud but it surely must bother you to see certain schools belting guys way too early when you have trained with them personally and know their skills are not up to par.  A guy training 3-4 days a week and getting his blue in less than a year is just not enough training to develop the skills required to be a blue in my opinion.

3/12/13 7:57 AM
Dana Van Gogh
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When guys say 3 or 4 times a week how long are these training sessions? I train 3 times a week but its 4 hours at a time. Phone Post
3/12/13 8:01 AM
90lb_weakling

Edited: 03/12/13 8:01 AM
No it doesn't. I feel really embarassed for them to be honest. Because the mats don't fucking lie. And someone who got a belt they don't deserve are usually laughed at behind their backs. A worse fate than getting a belt undeserved is the scorn you get from your training partners and the disrespect you suddenly earn for something that's probably not even your fault. So like I said. I'm embarrassed about it. However..

Maybe I'd care about a brown or black belt. Naturally someone like Ari Bolden annoys me. But a blue belt? Fucking lol. Oh no , someone got a belt signifying they are kind of getting a little bit of the basics and aren't a complete asswad anymore. Let's throw up the banners and have a party. Oh someone got it undeserved? Holy shit call the cops. This grave injustice of belting cannot go unpunished!

Seriously man. I know there's frustration of seeing complete fucktards belted. But for blue belt? Jesus christ.
3/12/13 8:18 AM
CoreNobody
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At my current school it's 3-4 years,all the blues are frustratingly good.
At my old school (GB) 6 months to 2 years,I could hold most of them (along with some so called purples)in check,and tapped a couple the first month or so.....not good.

Of rather be at a school that's not a belt factory,and it's definitely not.

Our purples would be BB's just about anywhere else. Phone Post
3/12/13 8:18 AM
Jessy30
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Good call and well said Phone Post
3/12/13 9:10 AM
ChokeUBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

About two years, must be well rounded in skills. Phone Post
3/12/13 9:28 AM
mishto chuckles

90lb_weakling - No it doesn't. I feel really embarassed for them to be honest. Because the mats don't fucking lie. And someone who got a belt they don't deserve are usually laughed at behind their backs. A worse fate than getting a belt undeserved is the scorn you get from your training partners and the disrespect you suddenly earn for something that's probably not even your fault. So like I said. I'm embarrassed about it. However..

Maybe I'd care about a brown or black belt. Naturally someone like Ari Bolden annoys me. But a blue belt? Fucking lol. Oh no , someone got a belt signifying they are kind of getting a little bit of the basics and aren't a complete asswad anymore. Let's throw up the banners and have a party. Oh someone got it undeserved? Holy shit call the cops. This grave injustice of belting cannot go unpunished!

Seriously man. I know there's frustration of seeing complete fucktards belted. But for blue belt? Jesus christ.
U mad bro? Phone Post
3/12/13 9:28 AM
mishto chuckles

90lb_weakling - No it doesn't. I feel really embarassed for them to be honest. Because the mats don't fucking lie. And someone who got a belt they don't deserve are usually laughed at behind their backs. A worse fate than getting a belt undeserved is the scorn you get from your training partners and the disrespect you suddenly earn for something that's probably not even your fault. So like I said. I'm embarrassed about it. However..

Settle down peppy you are gonna burst an oring Phone Post
3/12/13 9:34 AM
mishto chuckles

CoreNobody - At my current school it's 3-4 years,all the blues are frustratingly good.
At my old school (GB) 6 months to 2 years,I could hold most of them (along with some so called purples)in check,and tapped a couple the first month or so.....not good.

Of rather be at a school that's not a belt factory,and it's definitely not.

Our purples would be BB's just about anywhere else. Phone Post
Wow 4 years to get a blue... That's overkill man... If you are training regularly 2 years is a safe number I'd say.... 4 years is alot of time to get a your first belt Phone Post
3/12/13 9:42 AM
mishto chuckles

That is sort of a holier than though dooshy attitude... You don't concern yourself with the insignificant happenings of lower belts? If this is a martial art you deeply care about it should bother you that there are belt factories setting a low standard for belt levels Phone Post
3/12/13 9:51 AM
trianglegrrl
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We don't have a minimum length of time training, but we do have height requirements, and you have to be able to recite two of Shakespeare's sonnets from memory.

You get to choose the sonnets, though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.