UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How long to a blue belt at your school?

3/12/13 9:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dustyaguas
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lloyd said you get in your blue belt in 30 days!!!

3/12/13 9:57 AM
taylonr

Edited: 03/12/13 10:33 AM
I believe it's 2+ years at our school. I was talking to a blue last week and he said he was training about 2 years before he got his and that was "a little fast."

I've been at my gym for 7 months, I believe we've only had 1 blue belt test in that time. I think they usually have about 2 tests per year, so that obviously slows things down as well.

Additionally, 7 months in, I've only got one stripe. I started at a weird time, too. In that there really wasn't anyone that started (and stayed) within 2 months of me starting. All the guys with 2+ stripes on their white belt have been here over a year, so it's hard to compare.

** EDIT ** I should add that I have about 110-120 hours of mat time right now. I didn't keep track last year (August - December) but I'm at 65 hours this year, and last year was a bit less, I'm guessing around 50 hours.
3/12/13 9:58 AM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kinda funny to me that blue belts are discussing the merits of other blue belts and questioning the methodology of the black belts awarding ranks.

Not to say that there isn't belts being given too liberally or anything like that, but at blue you don't really know when belts should or should not be awarded.
3/12/13 10:01 AM
Christophr

I had thought that brown belt was the formal acknowledgement that a person had a well-rounded game.
3/12/13 10:17 AM
mishto chuckles

CJJScout - Kinda funny to me that blue belts are discussing the merits of other blue belts and questioning the methodology of the black belts awarding ranks.

Not to say that there isn't belts being given too liberally or anything like that, but at blue you don't really know when belts should or should not be awarded.
I've been on the mats since 2005 so I think I can make an observation... I got into the gi about two years ago Phone Post
3/12/13 10:22 AM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christophr - I had thought that brown belt was the formal acknowledgement that a person had a well-rounded game.
I thought it was black Phone Post
3/12/13 10:50 AM
MountainMedic
652 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 mos for me, but I came in with a background in judo & hapkido & I worked my ass off. 3-4 nights a week 3 hrs/night.
We didn't have formalized "next belt test is in october" kind of things. Coach would just tell you. Would happen in a couple corner of the gym w/o inturupting the class too much. Pass, handed a belt (that you didn't have to buy), round of applause, everybody back to work, whitebelts really gunning for you now lol.

I think constant work from a newborn with ability will belt in 1.5-2 years. Phone Post
3/12/13 10:51 AM
MountainMedic
652 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Newb not newborn, lol Phone Post
3/12/13 11:29 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mishto chuckles - 
90lb_weakling - Who cares about your stupid blue belts. Just train and shut the fuck up. BJJ is becoming ridiculous.

yeah thats sounds nice bud but it surely must bother you to see certain schools belting guys way too early when you have trained with them personally and know their skills are not up to par.  A guy training 3-4 days a week and getting his blue in less than a year is just not enough training to develop the skills required to be a blue in my opinion.

Whe you are with a good school and you know your education is among the best, you should not worry how long o rhow much longer it takes sutydenst at your school to achive a belt. The students at those other schools are the ones likely to be writing in on this forum with doubts and a self conciousness about having been "Promoted too soo" and "Not feeling ready" etc.
3/12/13 11:45 AM
john joe
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web/editorial
mine took a few years, our school is notoriously strict about giving belts out, we have some killer white belts who will give you a solid roll thanks to their time on the mat and pent-up rage at not being promoted, ha!

i only got my blue recently and i still dont feel right in it; from top position i am fine with most people purple and below, off my back i am shit. I have the worst open guard you have ever seen and my brick-like flexibility means my closed guard sucks as well. I actually move to half-guard or knee-shield on purpose just because its a much better guard for me than trying to work from closed.
3/12/13 12:01 PM
CoreNobody
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mishto chuckles -
CoreNobody - At my current school it's 3-4 years,all the blues are frustratingly good.
At my old school (GB) 6 months to 2 years,I could hold most of them (along with some so called purples)in check,and tapped a couple the first month or so.....not good.

Of rather be at a school that's not a belt factory,and it's definitely not.

Our purples would be BB's just about anywhere else. Phone Post
Wow 4 years to get a blue... That's overkill man... If you are training regularly 2 years is a safe number I'd say.... 4 years is alot of time to get a your first belt Phone Post
Agreed.
But I'd rather it this way than a belt factory.
Not really slamming other schools ( except my old one )but I want it to mean something when/if I finally get it. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:22 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mishto chuckles - 
CJJScout - Kinda funny to me that blue belts are discussing the merits of other blue belts and questioning the methodology of the black belts awarding ranks.

I've been on the mats since 2005 so I think I can make an observation... I got into the gi about two years ago Phone Post

I'm certainly not saying that you haven't earned your belt or put time in, and I certainly wasn't trying to single you out in my comment. I just find the whole thing amusing. I took part in a lot of these conversations as well and didn't realize how much I didn't know then relative to now. The whole wiser with age crap and all that is true.
3/12/13 12:24 PM
mishto chuckles

CoreNobody - 
mishto chuckles -
CoreNobody - At my current school it's 3-4 years,all the blues are frustratingly good.
At my old school (GB) 6 months to 2 years,I could hold most of them (along with some so called purples)in check,and tapped a couple the first month or so.....not good.

Of rather be at a school that's not a belt factory,and it's definitely not.

Our purples would be BB's just about anywhere else. Phone Post
Wow 4 years to get a blue... That's overkill man... If you are training regularly 2 years is a safe number I'd say.... 4 years is alot of time to get a your first belt Phone Post
Agreed.
But I'd rather it this way than a belt factory.
Not really slamming other schools ( except my old one )but I want it to mean something when/if I finally get it. Phone Post

yeah but at a certain point its just sandbagging.... imagine a 4 year guy competing against a white belt that has been working his ass off for a year or so..... 

3/12/13 12:36 PM
A_Butler
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Generally it's 2 years. But we have a lot of guys knocking on 3. Most of them are MMA competitors and don't spend a lot of time in the gi. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:42 PM
Christophr

X_Rated - 
Christophr - I had thought that brown belt was the formal acknowledgement that a person had a well-rounded game.
I thought it was black Phone Post

OK.
3/12/13 12:56 PM
TheMessiah

mishto chuckles -
90lb_weakling - Who cares about your stupid blue belts. Just train and shut the fuck up. BJJ is becoming ridiculous.

yeah thats sounds nice bud but it surely must bother you to see certain schools belting guys way too early when you have trained with them personally and know their skills are not up to par.  A guy training 3-4 days a week and getting his blue in less than a year is just not enough training to develop the skills required to be a blue in my opinion.

I agree with this Phone Post
3/12/13 1:02 PM
BJJER

Yeah like 10 years bro, but our blue belts are like black belts at other schools.

Really!?

If it's taking your instructor 3-4 years to create a competent blue belt, then I'm sorry to say but your instructor is not cut out for teaching. He may be good at BJJ but not a good teacher.
3/12/13 1:07 PM
benzobrace
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A blue belt doesnt mean that much anymore, but when I started, there were no black,brown,or purple belts in the state. So a blue belt, could run a school, although they could not promote. I knew of 3 in the state at that time, and they each ran a school,so it did mean something back then. I got my blue belt after teaching for 3 years, & would not promote to blue unless you could teach. Where once it was a rarity, times have changed, & because there are now so many, the perceived value of the once prestigious blue belt,is no longer what it used to be.
3/12/13 1:22 PM
BJJER

TheMessiah - 
mishto chuckles -

I agree with this Phone Post

I think it depends on many factors.

I got my blue belt in a little over a year, I think 15 months. I was training 4-5 times a week for at least 3 hours a night. That's 12 to 15 hours a week X 66 weeks, total training time of 792-990 hours of mat time.

Compare that to a guy training 1.5 hours a night 2-3 times a week for the same 15 months. That's 3-4.5 hours a week X 66 weeks = 198-297 total training time.

The two blue belts earned in the same amount of time are not created equal. And that's not even bringing up the quality of training partners and the natural abilities of the individual.

If you're at a school with 7 black belts and an assortment of other higher belts you will most likely get better quicker than the guy that's at a school that's three years old and has two purple belts and nothing higher than that other than the instructor.
3/12/13 1:40 PM
MountainMedic

benzobrace - A blue belt doesnt mean that much anymore, but when I started, there were no black,brown,or purple belts in the state. So a blue belt, could run a school, although they could not promote. I knew of 3 in the state at that time, and they each ran a school,so it did mean something back then. I got my blue belt after teaching for 3 years, & would not promote to blue unless you could teach. Where once it was a rarity, times have changed, & because there are now so many, the perceived value of the once prestigious blue belt,is no longer what it used to be.
A blue belt is & should be a huge accomplishment. I think its like 80-90% never go past this point.

Like most things these days, this old man looks back and remembers when things worth doing were supposed to be hard. Phone Post
3/12/13 2:14 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think the standards have risen... but access to information and techniques have. The problem with broadening your access to techniques however, is that you lose focus on the basics... which is really what you should be trying to get a small grasp of.. at least the technical movements for an armbar, triangle, hip escape etc if not the timing and sensitivity for them.

Generally speaking, I see new blue belts and even white belts pursuing the cutting edge of the sports bjj spectrum. It's great that they;re so interested and engaged and I understand wanting to differentiatr yourself from the people doing omoplatas kimura sweeps what have you.. but it's a case of trying to fucking fly before you can even walk

3/12/13 2:22 PM
TheBearStare
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive noticed our school that most are getting it at the 1.5 year mark. though ive also noticed a pattern of them not knowing what i feel are the essentials. they get exposed to too much and simple stuff gets glossed over. maybe im just not with the times.
3/12/13 3:25 PM
Akston
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Year and a half to two and a half, depends on a million factors but that's the short and long range of it. Phone Post
3/12/13 5:49 PM
poolparty

I started in nogi. I did 1.5 years nogi, switched schools then 1.5 years gi. 3 years to blue belt.
3/12/13 6:47 PM
CoreNobody
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic -
benzobrace - A blue belt doesnt mean that much anymore, but when I started, there were no black,brown,or purple belts in the state. So a blue belt, could run a school, although they could not promote. I knew of 3 in the state at that time, and they each ran a school,so it did mean something back then. I got my blue belt after teaching for 3 years, & would not promote to blue unless you could teach. Where once it was a rarity, times have changed, & because there are now so many, the perceived value of the once prestigious blue belt,is no longer what it used to be.
A blue belt is & should be a huge accomplishment. I think its like 80-90% never go past this point.

Like most things these days, this old man looks back and remembers when things worth doing were supposed to be hard. Phone Post
*stands and claps* Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.