UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> How long to a blue belt at your school?

3/12/13 8:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my instructor is pretty quick with blues if he wants the guys to compete against blue belts.
3/14/13 6:06 PM
graciesrule
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Originally under Helio it was 40 lesson or about 8 months.
3/14/13 9:32 PM
burner22
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MountainMedic - 6 mos for me, but I came in with a background in judo & hapkido & I worked my ass off. 3-4 nights a week 3 hrs/night.
We didn't have formalized "next belt test is in october" kind of things. Coach would just tell you. Would happen in a couple corner of the gym w/o inturupting the class too much. Pass, handed a belt (that you didn't have to buy), round of applause, everybody back to work, whitebelts really gunning for you now lol.

I think constant work from a newborn with ability will belt in 1.5-2 years. Phone Post
Pretty much how it works in my gym as well. . Took me 2yrs.. Bout average for my school Phone Post
3/14/13 9:38 PM
krept
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

graciesrule - Originally under Helio it was 40 lesson or about 8 months.

Regarding this, someone with experience please correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that at the Gracie Academy it is basically the same. The students' progress is tracked on attendance cards that have the Combatives lessons laid out and they must compete each lesson 2-3x (I forget).

I also think they are limited to 2-3x per week, 1x per day so it would not count if someone took the AM lesson and then same PM lesson?

But... I do not think they are assessed while sparring. In fact I do not know if they are allowed to free roll prior to competing Combatives. And unlike the video tests, I don't think there is a test but after completion they get blue and go to Master Series classes.

Obviously I don't mention this to be critical (if it's even accurate), but its a contrast to the perception that a minimum time should somehow be imposed on those w/o a MA background.

In general, I think there is a lot of stress surrounding ambiguous criteria and to see perhaps the most direct lineage using this approach is interesting when the vast majority do differently. It's like there is a good amount of "gotta be sure my guys are tough" relative to other schools. Probably a reason for differing retention rates, too.
3/14/13 11:56 PM
graciesrule
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Helio's 40 lessons were private one on one which was the predecessor to the combatives program. Ryron/Rener changed all that.
3/15/13 3:18 PM
Herbish1
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got mine in 18 months training 5x a week sometimes 2 a days.

One kid got his in 4 months. He was also all state wrestling champion so he was no stranger to grappling.

The best thing to do is accept that your instructor knows better than you when someone deserves a promotion. Phone Post
3/16/13 5:58 PM
Eazy08
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It took me 1 year and 5 months, no prior experience and I trained 5-7 days a week

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.