UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> coyote and wolf hybrid - coywolf

3/12/13 9:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Naderhood
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fangclan -
Naderhood - 

I've seen tons of them and spoken with some DNR officers about them. The coyotes here in New England are huge compared to the ones out west. They're bigger and they know it so they're less intimidated by people and ahng out in neighborhoods. Its very common for people to lose full sized dogs to a pack of coyotes. One of my friends lives on Cape Cod and let his indoor/outdoor cat out in the morning once the sun was up thinking it was safe because he lives in a culdesac and he saw his cat get killed by 3 coyotes. The cat was killed and carried away before he could even grab his pistol and get out there. Them things are no joke. Here in New Hampshire, especially the Northern part, people tend to have at least 2 dogs so when they let them out they're better able to defend themselves.

i dont liive out west.  in the midwest, a coyote is 30 pounds.  even at that size, they are not intimidated by people-- they naturally will follow anything, usually to see if you either flush game, or make a kill they might be able to scavenge off from.  it used to be common practice for farmers to carry rifles when combinging corn-- because the coyotes like to follow the 'bine and chase the rabbits they flush. its not new behavior, they would have been doing that long before we ever stepped onto the continent.  you can see them trotting by the interstates, out in fields in daylight,  all over the place.-- mainly due to the suburban takeover of what was once rural. boys are gaming on the x-box and not out running a trapline anymore.  none the less, they are NOT a threat to humans. 

my pussey neighbor takes a pistol with him when he takes his afternoon walk...he is sure the evil coyotes are gonna eat him. maybe if he keels over from a heart attack, they scavenge on him, but thats about it. 

i know you wont like to hear it, but from my perspective, whatever wildlife is more important than lost pets. there are hundreds of millions of songbirds hunted by subsidized hunters-- housecats that do it because they can..  where i live the city folk like to dump unwanted pets-- we take a half dozen dogs a year average in  (no kill) to shelters to try to rehome them. my dogs dont let any cat get close enough to try to friend us, and i am not sorry for that, as the place has plenty of bird feeders, and the only predation i want is from the raptors.  i do get coyotes in my yard, especially when the droughts dry up the streams around here-- they come in for water.  live and let live. you live out in the boonies, why not actually share it with them? must everything be a predator free park? no place for anything but us and our pets?

Woa woa woa, calm down with the holier than thou rhetoric. I never said anything about not wanting coyotes to live or die. I only told a story. I don't care if people lose a pet or not. My personal experience with them is seeing them run 500mph when being chased by the manager of the airport I was working at to keep them from eating birds on the runways. I don't think people worry about getting eaten by them. I think they worry about their dog that they are walking with getting eaten. The trails I used to run on Cape Cod were dog walking trails and people have lost dogs to coyotes. People who let their dog run off leash and one coyote will get its attention and bait it into chasing it an lead it into an ambush where it gets killed an eaten. My dog got I to a fight with a medium sized poodle on the trails and a week later that poodle got killed by coyotes. I think it's a risk you take by bringing your dog into coyote territory. Phone Post
3/12/13 9:37 AM
Meastt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow wrkahlc -

I used to live in Cartersville, GA. Neighbors in the cul-de-sac had coywolf pups, female coyote for a mother. Cute things.

But this is on a much larger scale of omgwhathavewedone.

You still out in GA? Phone Post
3/12/13 9:41 AM
Meastt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fangclan -
Naderhood - 

I've seen tons of them and spoken with some DNR officers about them. The coyotes here in New England are huge compared to the ones out west. They're bigger and they know it so they're less intimidated by people and ahng out in neighborhoods. Its very common for people to lose full sized dogs to a pack of coyotes. One of my friends lives on Cape Cod and let his indoor/outdoor cat out in the morning once the sun was up thinking it was safe because he lives in a culdesac and he saw his cat get killed by 3 coyotes. The cat was killed and carried away before he could even grab his pistol and get out there. Them things are no joke. Here in New Hampshire, especially the Northern part, people tend to have at least 2 dogs so when they let them out they're better able to defend themselves.

i dont liive out west.  in the midwest, a coyote is 30 pounds.  even at that size, they are not intimidated by people-- they naturally will follow anything, usually to see if you either flush game, or make a kill they might be able to scavenge off from.  it used to be common practice for farmers to carry rifles when combinging corn-- because the coyotes like to follow the 'bine and chase the rabbits they flush. its not new behavior, they would have been doing that long before we ever stepped onto the continent.  you can see them trotting by the interstates, out in fields in daylight,  all over the place.-- mainly due to the suburban takeover of what was once rural. boys are gaming on the x-box and not out running a trapline anymore.  none the less, they are NOT a threat to humans. 

my pussey neighbor takes a pistol with him when he takes his afternoon walk...he is sure the evil coyotes are gonna eat him. maybe if he keels over from a heart attack, they scavenge on him, but thats about it. 

i know you wont like to hear it, but from my perspective, whatever wildlife is more important than lost pets. there are hundreds of millions of songbirds hunted by subsidized hunters-- housecats that do it because they can..  where i live the city folk like to dump unwanted pets-- we take a half dozen dogs a year average in  (no kill) to shelters to try to rehome them. my dogs dont let any cat get close enough to try to friend us, and i am not sorry for that, as the place has plenty of bird feeders, and the only predation i want is from the raptors.  i do get coyotes in my yard, especially when the droughts dry up the streams around here-- they come in for water.  live and let live. you live out in the boonies, why not actually share it with them? must everything be a predator free park? no place for anything but us and our pets?

I kill them on site here in GA at my hunting property. We have plenty and they kill the fawn deer in the late spring. Phone Post
3/12/13 10:50 AM
A.W.Ashford
454 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NiteProwleR - in 4 pics
Phone Post
3/12/13 11:02 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want a coywolf pack of my own. Phone Post
3/12/13 11:11 AM
Rockstars
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We have them here in southern Ontario. 70-80lbs. Coyote population is getting out of control around here. Phone Post
3/12/13 11:16 AM
Dbulletproof
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dog gifs!
3/12/13 11:21 AM
bearockbrobama
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure -

Amaxing Phone Post
3/12/13 11:21 AM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think what you guys are talking about is the eatern coyotes just have wolf dna in them from generations ago. Its not like there are wolves breeding with coyotes. Wolves kill coyotes.

Having said that eastern coyotes are bigger because food is more abundent here. Prey is more abundant out here, so they simply just grow bigger.

I would love to see an 80lb coyote. people hunt them like crazy and i have yet to see a picture of an 80lb coyote.
3/12/13 11:26 AM
topteam71
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In PA they did a study and found wolf DNA in the coyotes here, it was published in our game laws manual. Can someone post a pic of one I shot back in 08 outside of Scranton.

[IMG]http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i242/guttooth71/gun019-1.jpg[/IMG]
3/12/13 11:39 AM
Naderhood
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muppetmower88 - I think what you guys are talking about is the eatern coyotes just have wolf dna in them from generations ago. Its not like there are wolves breeding with coyotes. Wolves kill coyotes.

Having said that eastern coyotes are bigger because food is more abundent here. Prey is more abundant out here, so they simply just grow bigger.

I would love to see an 80lb coyote. people hunt them like crazy and i have yet to see a picture of an 80lb coyote.

Do you think the coyotes are getting wolf DNA in them from eating wolf shit? NO, they got it from fucking wolves. A male wolf will fuck a dog or coyote if its in heat. Thats how we get wolf/dog hybrids.

3/12/13 12:04 PM
YousHerName
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub for the dog jumping out the window Phone Post
3/12/13 1:02 PM
GnP Sonnen

Authority Figure -

Lol! Phone Post
3/12/13 1:06 PM
nolabrum

Edited: 03/12/13 1:07 PM
skip to 1:30
3/12/13 1:15 PM
Naderhood

Well well well, all u knowitalls that said they didnt exist can suck it

And also, I KNEW Canada was to blame for this shit

3/13/13 2:35 AM
PoiuPoiu
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CBC - The Nature of Things

Meet the Coywolf - http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/meet-the-coywolf.html

A new carnivore has slipped unnoticed into cities across the Eastern seaboard from Toronto to Montreal to Boston and even New York. A versatile, new top predator that feasts on everything from rabbits to deer to moose. Scientists say it is one of the most adaptable mammals on the planet but what surprises them most is how this remarkable creature manages to live right alongside us but just out of view. We share our parks, our streets even our backyards with these wild animals, that both fascinate and baffle scientists, but few of us have ever seen a coywolf.

Part wolf, part coyote this new hybrid species is the subject of a startlingly beautiful new film called Meet the Coywolf. A documentary that will both shock and amaze you.
3/13/13 3:40 AM
osaewaza
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoiuPoiu - CBC - The Nature of Things

Meet the Coywolf - http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/meet-the-coywolf.html

A new carnivore has slipped unnoticed into cities across the Eastern seaboard from Toronto to Montreal to Boston and even New York. A versatile, new top predator that feasts on everything from rabbits to deer to moose. Scientists say it is one of the most adaptable mammals on the planet but what surprises them most is how this remarkable creature manages to live right alongside us but just out of view. We share our parks, our streets even our backyards with these wild animals, that both fascinate and baffle scientists, but few of us have ever seen a coywolf.

Part wolf, part coyote this new hybrid species is the subject of a startlingly beautiful new film called Meet the Coywolf. A documentary that will both shock and amaze you.

voted up
3/13/13 3:41 AM
PoiuPoiu
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fangclan - 

not smarter, not more pack oriented. you dont have a clue what you are posting. you are just ignorant. you seem to forget your own words-- 'aggressive', which is not in any of the literature you posted, you somehow it is written on your posts. 

'crazy'-- then review the posts on the thread-- cujo,  mewling baby predator calls, some goober saying they needed a 'native tracker' to find the ones a half hour from him., star wars 'be afraid'. 

you own thread is evidence you are wrong. 

you dont even have the courage of conviction to own up to your intent.  face it you wanted to be popular with the guys, and made up a cool story.  THATS trying too hard. 

direct quotes from scientists in the "meet the coywolf" documentary

"more aggressive, bolder" than a normal coyote

"more adapatble, more intelligent"

"they tend to hunt in pairs, unlike wolves that hunt in packs"
3/13/13 4:16 AM
burner22
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not seeing what the fuss is here, so what, wolves breed with coyotes, and the produce a smaller version of a wolf. So what?
Also, Who gives a shit if they eat a few poodles. Poodles are the queerest things on planet earth.
you should count yourself lucky you get to see such beautiful creatures in the wild Phone Post
3/13/13 4:22 AM
sparkuri
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tehunajammedaconeinmyjimmo - 

The Red Wolfs mortal enemy?

I'm savin that one

lol

3/13/13 4:30 AM
Peeixes
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

old and busted: wolfs howling at moon t-shirt from kroger

new hotness: coywolf roving mars tank top from state fair

7/8/13 5:26 PM
PTM2020
1350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol@Kujo

7/8/13 8:56 PM
yellow wrkahlc is dead

Meastt -
yellow wrkahlc -

I used to live in Cartersville, GA. Neighbors in the cul-de-sac had coywolf pups, female coyote for a mother. Cute things.

But this is on a much larger scale of omgwhathavewedone.

You still out in GA? Phone Post
Yessir, North in Alpharetta Phone Post 3.0
7/8/13 8:58 PM
hubris
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coyotes kill Toronto singer in Cape Breton

Park official says 1 coyote dead, staff looking for 2nd animal

Last Updated: Thursday, October 29, 2009 | 12:48 AM AT CBC News

A 19-year-old folk singer from Toronto has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

Taylor Josephine Stephanie Luciow, who went by the stage name Taylor Mitchell, died overnight at the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax. She had been on tour in the Maritimes.

Mitchell was hiking on the Skyline Trail when she was attacked Tuesday afternoon. She was taken to the hospital in Cheticamp, then airlifted to Halifax in critical condition.

Park officials said Mitchell was walking the trail alone. They said other hikers managed to scare off the coyotes and call 911.

An RCMP officer shot at one of the animals but couldn't find the body. Later Tuesday evening, park staff located another coyote and killed it. Derek Quann, the park's resource conservation manager, said he doesn't know whether it was one of the ones involved in the attack. He said there were no signs on the animal's body that it had been shot.

Quann said he believes there are five or six coyotes in the area. Park staff were still trying to track down the other coyote involved in the attack Wednesday.

"One of the individuals may be dead now and may have gone off into the woods and died after some distance," said Quann.

Germaine LeMoine, a Parks Canada spokeswoman, said the hunt for the second coyote would go "around the clock." The trail where the attack happened has been barricaded.

LeMoine said even if a second animal is found and killed, the trail would not be opened until officials could conclude they had both coyotes involved in the attack and the trail was safe for the public.

Rare attack
Bob Bancroft, a retired biologist with the Department of Natural Resources, said this kind of attack is extremely rare and he's never heard of such a serious case in Nova Scotia.

He said coyotes, which are normally up to 50 pounds, are usually very shy, though they can be bold.

"In situations like a national park [where] usually there's no hunting and no trapping allowed, they can get used to a human presence and not have much fear of any retribution," Bancroft told CBC News.

It's unclear what happened in the woods on Tuesday.

When park staff arrived, Mitchell was already en route to Sacred Heart Hospital in Cheticamp, said Quann.

Bancroft said coyotes team up to take down deer, and it's possible the hiker didn't even realize what was happening.

"They may have snuck up on her and knocked her over before she even knew what happened," he said. "They may have been youngsters. They just may not have had a lot of experience, or they may have just capitalized on a situation where a young person was acting vulnerable and very frightened by their presence."

He said there's a slight possibility that the animals had rabies.

Quann said the coyotes might have been hungry or might have been protecting a kill. He said the animals that park staff saw Tuesday night were "quite agitated."

"Our experience in the past for any aggressive coyote which has been submitted for analysis, we haven't had one come back yet as having testing positive for something like rabies, although sometimes they will come back being emaciated animals, perhaps desperate and hungry," he said.

Bancroft had his own run-in with a coyote several years ago when he was alone in the woods.

"A coyote came straight at me. It happened very, very quickly. It stopped and I just stood my ground, I didn't act," he said. "It actually regrouped and charged again. And I think the fact that I didn't act like a prey item convinced it to leave me alone."

Bancroft advises hikers to be alert and leave their iPods at home. He also suggests carrying a knife.

The Skyline Trail, one of the most popular trails in the park, has been closed and barricaded.
7/8/13 9:19 PM
PoiuPoiu

[quote= fangclan]

again, all you are doing is making a scary story. the truth is neither are a worry to humans

[/quote}

is this poster still around?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.