UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dr. Benjamin: Struve, Silva should retire

3/12/13 12:04 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
927 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Steph Daniels: What are your thoughts on the series of punches Stefan Struve ate that not only dislodged a tooth, but fractured his jaw

Johnny Benjamin: When I saw it, I wasn't really surprised, because when I see a fighter get tired and start mouth breathing, trying to get as much air as possible into their lungs, I always think it's just a matter of time before they get their jaw broken. If you're not clenched down on that mouthpiece, you're very susceptible to what happened. We all know that Mark Hunt punches like a mule kicks, so it wasn't surprising at all, the outcome of that fight.

SD: How long would you personally recommend that Struve stay away from combat activity, considering the severity of his injuries?

JB: Many people think, and Stefan will probably think, 'The doctor said I'm good to go, so I'll get right back in the gym and go at it', but, even though we're great at healing bones, it's not so easy to heal the brain. How many times has he been knocked out? I know he's a young man, but he's been knocked out more than a few times.

At some point, someone really needs to ask the question, should he still be fighting? That many concussions, so quickly, and at this young age ... a person has two types of age, chronological and physiologic age. Stefan's license may say he's 25, but in physiologic years, he's much, much older than that, with all the concussive force that he's sustained.

SD: We just watched Wanderlei Silva go for broke in his fight with Brian Stann and sustain several blows that put him on the canvas, yet he came back for the victory. What are your thoughts there?

JB: Anybody who loves fighting, loves Wanderlei Silva. You just can't not like Wanderlei. It's impossible. Once again, if you like human beings, if you like people who can still remember where they put their car keys or the names of their kids, Then you should have hope that there's a life after fighting for Wandy, because he won't fight forever, and he won't live a long life if he continues doing what he's doing.

The types of concussive force that he's sustained can also lead to depression, which can make it a pretty difficult life in the future. I've been saying it for a few years now, Wandy, I love you, but please stop. Please retire.

read entire article...

3/12/13 12:12 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
pennviachoke
928 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its gonna be sad, and hopefully we don't see it, but a few of our favorite guys are gonna be jacked up later in life. I'm not looking forward to seeing a broken Wandy down the road...good advice from a smart man, hopefully the fighter's pay attention. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:14 PM
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny Benjamin will say anything to keep his name in the mma headlines
3/12/13 12:15 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
402 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - Johnny Benjamin will say anything to keep his name in the mma headlines
Definitely this. Reem should probably just hang em up too. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:16 PM
Leghound
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - Johnny Benjamin will say anything to keep his name in the mma headlines

This is true, but he's not saying anything that most people on here haven't hinted at already

3/12/13 12:17 PM
pennviachoke
928 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - Johnny Benjamin will say anything to keep his name in the mma headlines
I agree with this as well but he does have a good point about all the head trauma guys receive. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:22 PM
likatiga
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't usually like what the good Dr. has to say, but he's not wrong here.

Although, I don't think Struve should retire, I do think he's got to reconsider his fight strategy.
3/12/13 12:23 PM
Gullivers Travels

HexRei - Johnny Benjamin will say anything to keep his name in the mma headlines

What makes you think this? Research supports everything he said in regards to the dangers of repeated concussions.

It's only a matter of time before someone dies or faces severe damage from a single fight IMO.
3/12/13 12:25 PM
Brian Rule
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/12/13 12:36 PM
UG Blog at it again. He doesn't say Struve should retire. On Wandy yes he clearly states that but he doesn't say Struve should outright. To most saying "At some point" should convey not immediately but 'at some point.'

Anything to avoid a Lloyd Irvin story I guess

EDIT: Correction, in the full interview the doctor explains further, suggesting Struve should retire. But still the way in which this snippet is structured suggests that these are the answers in their entirely, which it shouldn't. Either put the whole fucking answer or indicate that the interviewee said more regarding that question

He actually continued with his answer...

I'm sure nobody will like to hear this, but Stefan Struve really needs to think about retiring. If it's not him that will make that decision, then Dana White needs to start talking to him about retiring. The question out there is how many sustained concussions is too many, and according to the latest literature that's coming out, the answer is starting to look like it's somewhere between two and three. That's where you start having permanent changes.

Knowing that data, Stefan is definitely beyond that number (Stefan has been TKO / KO 5 times), and someone really needs to initiate serious discussion with either him or his promoter that he probably needs to do something else for a living.
3/12/13 12:26 PM
HexRei

Gullivers Travels - 

What makes you think this? Research supports everything he said in regards to the dangers of repeated concussions.

It's only a matter of time before someone dies or faces severe damage from a single fight IMO.

what makes me think this? years of reading JB's articles, blogs, interviews, etc
3/12/13 12:27 PM
ender852
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what he is saying is sadly true, but he is just gonna get more hate for saying what people don't want to hear.

3/12/13 12:32 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
Gullivers Travels - 

what makes me think this? years of reading JB's articles, blogs, interviews, etc

Agreed, but he might be right about Wandy.

And as someone else said, Struve doesn't need to retire but he should really reconsider his gameplans from here on out.

3/12/13 12:39 PM
TDogg926
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Exactly. He desperately wants to stay relevant. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:46 PM
da Vinci 81
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol he gives his opinion on the health and welfare of a fighter and you guys are jumping down his throat telling him to piss off.

Fuck him for being concerned over someone receiving brain damage, right?? Phone Post
3/12/13 12:50 PM
Deepy
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regardless if he is an attention seeker, I wouldn't mind if Silva decided to hang 'em up. He's got nothing left to prove. I am sure he could still put on some really exciting fights, but it's just not worth it IMO. I don't want to see Wandy end up like Gary Goodridge, bless him. Phone Post
3/12/13 12:50 PM
Brigham
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's a douche Phone Post
3/12/13 12:52 PM
Matrixkick
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post
3/12/13 12:56 PM
HexRei

RobinVanRooney - 
Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - Struve should retire. This guy can go jump off a fucking bridge. Phone Post
Not really, Struve has been on the end of a few brutal knockouts. I suppose health doesn't matter. Phone Post

WHAT? A knockout? in MIXED MARTIAL ARTS? We need to make this human cock fighting illegal!
3/12/13 12:58 PM
Card
1853 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want Wand to go out on a win. Unlike so many others.

3/12/13 12:59 PM
Kerouac

Hexrei is still pissed at the Dr. for his stance against eunuched males beating up women.
3/12/13 1:01 PM
KC007

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - Struve should retire. This guy can go jump off a fucking bridge. Phone Post
Wtf ? Phone Post
3/12/13 1:03 PM
Flexo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not only has Struve been KO'd 4 times in the UFC, he's been clobbered in at least 2 of his other fights. He took a beating from Beuntello and Morecraft. At this rate I'm pretty sure he'll retire before he's 30. Phone Post
3/12/13 1:06 PM
Rookie Fighter

. Phone Post
3/12/13 1:06 PM
anti_hate101
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thread.. they say a few KO changes a person, but I reckon its only one proper heavy KO will change a person long term. From then on they will go down a lot easier.
3/12/13 1:10 PM
HexRei

Edited: 03/12/13 1:10 PM
sigh.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.