UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Paramount ruined any potential GI Joe 2 had.

3/12/13 9:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zenoplata
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to this article I read they originally intended to kill off Duke (Channing Tatum) in the first 10 minutes of the film and go with the Rock and Bruce Willis as the main characters while keeping Snake Eyes (Ray Park) and a couple new and side characters.

Well after 21 Jump Street they completely reshot G.I. Joe 2 to include Channing Tatum.

And here I was actually going to see the movie. I literally turned off the first one as soon as his stupid fucking face showed up and they called him Duke. What a complete joke of casting. Fuck these movies!

3/12/13 10:04 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol I don't understand how The Rock gets acting gigs Phone Post
3/12/13 10:07 PM
Zenoplata
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Rock is a huge improvement on Channing Tatum.

He's a pretty viable action star. I can definitely see him kicking ass rather than Shia Lebouf, Ryan Gosling or Orlando Bloom.

3/13/13 12:40 AM
Juggernautt
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA - Lol I don't understand how The Rock gets acting gigs Phone Post
The rock is actually a good actor. Phone Post
3/13/13 2:14 AM
crunchysavior
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought this was common knowledge? I think Tatum had a scheduling conflict or something as well. They did test screenings of Gi-Joe 2 without him and they bombed horribly so they rewrote the whole thing and got him back on-board.
3/13/13 9:11 AM
Zenoplata

crunchysavior - Thought this was common knowledge? I think Tatum had a scheduling conflict or something as well. They did test screenings of Gi-Joe 2 without him and they bombed horribly so they rewrote the whole thing and got him back on-board.

The thing is the original film bombed horribly (maybe not in box office numbers, but neither would this film with or without Tatum.)

Reviews were horrible across the board and one of the main criticisms seems to have been Tatum. Like I've said before, I was going to give the original film a chance and literally turned it off as soon as I saw him pop up and get called Duke. It's literally one of the worst cast roles I've ever come across.

3/13/13 10:12 AM
paw
1427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata - 
crunchysavior - Thought this was common knowledge? I think Tatum had a scheduling conflict or something as well. They did test screenings of Gi-Joe 2 without him and they bombed horribly so they rewrote the whole thing and got him back on-board.

The thing is the original film bombed horribly (maybe not in box office numbers, but neither would this film with or without Tatum.)

Reviews were horrible across the board and one of the main criticisms seems to have been Tatum. Like I've said before, I was going to give the original film a chance and literally turned it off as soon as I saw him pop up and get called Duke. It's literally one of the worst cast roles I've ever come across.

You are so lucky you turned off the original film.  GI Joe is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

3/13/13 11:56 AM
YVEL MACHIDA
419 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Juggernautt -
I don't see his part in the movie bringing legitimacy to the franchise. I see it as a cash grab to get the mindless fast and the furious fans out to see GI Joe. Phone Post
3/13/13 12:07 PM
BigWilliam
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least they don't seem to have that screaming idiot marlon wayans in this one. But yeah the script and acting in the first one was beyond awful. This one will be better, but it will probably still suck.
3/13/13 12:29 PM
Zenoplata

YVEL MACHIDA - 
Juggernautt -
I don't see his part in the movie bringing legitimacy to the franchise. I see it as a cash grab to get the mindless fast and the furious fans out to see GI Joe. Phone Post

The thing is, neither does Channing Tatum.

They could've gotten literally anyone to play Duke and they would have pulled in a ton of cash from the lower age demographics they were probably aiming for with merchandise and what not.

The casting of Tatum only worked against them, it didn't affect markets that they already had, but it completely turned off older demographics, males between 17-35 that are normally a huge target for these types of movies.

Casting Tatum primarily draws females, who are already disinterested in the G.I. Joe franchise and are unlikely to view in large numbers due to his pressence.

To fix this, they brought in Bruce Willis and The Rock who are both very popular with males 17-35, and did away with Tatum but they found that they were pushing away the female segment they had earlier attracted and seemed to have been confusing people that saw the first film. Also, there seemed to be an interesting chemistry between The Rock and Tatum (probably similar to The Rock and John Cena from WM a few years ago, I don't really follow wrestling but when I heard he was back I watched shows that I knew he was gonna be on.)

The question is how they went about it, did they focus primarily on The Rock and Bruce Willis, or did they make the same mistake as last time and focus on Tatum? What they should've done from the beginning was cast him in a minor/side role and allowed for someone else to take the place of Duke.

3/13/13 12:30 PM
Zenoplata

And yeah, Marlon Waynes is complete shit.

The only good casting was Ray Park.

3/13/13 12:32 PM
dizz
542 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Juggernautt - 

I'm not going to lie, The Rock is my favorite actor in Hollywood. He has a TON of charisma, and he can act (see him playing a gay bodyguard in Be Cool). And from everything I've heard he's a pretty awesome guy.

Channing Tatum, on the other hand, cannot act. But I've come around on him a bit after 21 Jump Street, which was hilarious. I didn't hate the first GI Joe, it was good stupid entertainment (basically what Transformers should have been), and given that the Rock is in the sequel I will definitely be seeing it. Also, Ray Park as Snake Eyes is fuckin' great.
3/13/13 12:40 PM
Juggernautt
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata -

And yeah, Marlon Waynes is complete shit.

Storm shadow and scarlet were cast well I think, same for baroness and eccelstein is a decent actor as well as arnold vosloo. Marlon actuallydidn't bother me like I thought he would. I really enjoyed the first movie Phone Post
3/13/13 12:42 PM
Juggernautt

BigWilliam - At least they don't seem to have that screaming idiot marlon wayans in this one. But yeah the script and acting in the first one was beyond awful. This one will be better, but it will probably still suck.
Lol @ complaints about the script..its a GI Joe movie. What do you expect, it was never meant to be any more then mindless popcorn summer fun. Phone Post
3/13/13 12:58 PM
Zenoplata

Exactly, and I don't want to see the queer from Magic Mike and Step Up during my summer blockbuster movie.

3/13/13 2:45 PM
ntcdef
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think Channing Tatum was that bad.  The Wayne brother sucked ass crap, I hope he dies quickly in the next movie.  After watching the preview the other night I am excited to see this movie.  They fixed Snake Eyes and CC mask and added lots of ninja's 90's style.

3/13/13 3:07 PM
Liyon
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tatum was god-awful as Duke. He slept-walked through the entire movie. It was like Duke on heavy sedatives.

Besides, they already cast Duke. He's play by Josh Dushamel in the Transformers movies!!!
3/13/13 3:08 PM
BigWilliam
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no excuse for a movie to complete nonsense. It doesn't have to be a classic story, but it should at least make some kind of sense. Calling something a popcorn movie is a cop out to excuse lazy writing.
3/13/13 3:10 PM
Liyon
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem with the GIJoe movies is that they are conceptually flawed to begin with. They could have an all-star cast of heavy hitters and the movies would have still sucked. The overall storyline, the production design, the cinematography/directing/writing all suck.

IMO, GIJoe should have been Metal Gear Solid 4 meets Black Ops 2. Just check out any MGS4 cinematic and the Black in Black trailer for BO2 on youtube.
3/13/13 4:56 PM
paw
1427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/13 4:55 PM
Zenoplata - 

Truth!

3/13/13 11:31 PM
Juggernautt

BigWilliam - There is no excuse for a movie to complete nonsense. It doesn't have to be a classic story, but it should at least make some kind of sense. Calling something a popcorn movie is a cop out to excuse lazy writing.
Welll.. it made sense to me lol Phone Post
3/14/13 12:02 AM
NeoSpartan
490 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liyon - The problem with the GIJoe movies is that they are conceptually flawed to begin with. They could have an all-star cast of heavy hitters and the movies would have still sucked. The overall storyline, the production design, the cinematography/directing/writing all suck.

IMO, GIJoe should have been Metal Gear Solid 4 meets Black Ops 2. Just check out any MGS4 cinematic and the Black in Black trailer for BO2 on youtube.

^that last line

oh hear me producer gods!!!!!!!!!!!
3/14/13 9:14 AM
Daredevil73
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't like Tatum either, but as long as the Wayans brother isn't in it, I'll give it a shot.
3/14/13 9:23 AM
BigWilliam

You can sum up how bad gi joe was in one sentence.

Ice that SINKS in water.

The big final battle, the polar is gets cracked and they all panic because it will come down and crush the evil secret base. Not one person on the cast, the writing team or the crew had the common sense to point out, ice floats.
3/14/13 9:28 AM
Zenoplata

I didn't make it very far in that movie, I've heard about the floating ice thing though, lol.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.