UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Paramount ruined any potential GI Joe 2 had.

3/14/13 12:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
A_Butler
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GI Joe is one of those franchises with infinite amounts of potential, but ultimately gets dumbed down, pussified, cheesed up, and made way too damn PG. Such a waste. Phone Post
3/14/13 12:56 PM
venomAA
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't put all the blame of the fail of the first movie on Tatum. Even poor writing could be forgiven since its supposed to be a fun action movie.
I would blame it on the poor action sequences, the most boring action movie i have ever seen besides Transformers 3. I hope that maybe inclusion of Bruce Willis will fix this but i'll probably wait for rental instead of going out to the theater.
3/14/13 5:24 PM
killacox
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/13 5:24 PM
COOBRAAAA LALALALALALLALALALA

everything else is faggot shit

i did enjoy the snake eyes backstory but i wish they went with the unclassified storyline
3/14/13 6:43 PM
Zenoplata
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just hope I get to hear Yippie Ki-yay Motherfuckers as Cobra Commander is tossed out of a plane.

3/19/13 5:09 PM
DOOOOOOOOOM!!
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think tatum is that bad.  The writing was bad, but not so much him.  I'm looking forward to this movie.  Hope it doesn't take a huge shit on my childhood dreams.

3/22/13 8:36 AM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA - Lol I don't understand how The Rock gets acting gigs Phone Post
Uhh yeah, I don't get what you're talking about. The rock is a good actor. Always very believable. But everyone has their own tastes. Phone Post
3/22/13 5:19 PM
Zenoplata
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Transformers was good. I enjoyed all 3.

3/22/13 7:40 PM
BigWilliam
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously? They all sucked. Complete and total garbage.
3/22/13 8:32 PM
Juggernautt
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - Seriously? They all sucked. Complete and total garbage.
Part 1 was fuckin fantastic. The musical score, the fight scenes, Megatrons dialogue, Optimus dialogue. The first transformers movie is one of my favs period. Phone Post
3/23/13 10:59 AM
RedDragonUK
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed Transformers too. Fights were too close up beside that they werent bad. Tatum is wooden and a terrible actor. He could get better like Mark Wahlberg or stay the same and terrible like Clive Owen,time will tell.

Im reall disapointed they made a u turn on the original plan though Phone Post
3/28/13 3:08 PM
dizz
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Review from io9 (good geek site) of the second GI Joe:

There’s a very simple test to figure out if you’re going to enjoy G.I. Joe: Retaliation. Imagine a kid, playing with his toys, creating an epic, albeit not entirely coherent adventure for them; then imagine someone turned everything that kid imagined into a big-budget movie. If that sounds horrible to you, don’t go see this movie. If you understand why this is the highest compliment I can pay G.I. Joe: Retaliation, you should go ahead and buy your tickets now.

Retaliation improves upon its predecessor in pretty much every way imaginable. Gone are the Accelerator suits, non-epic car chases and Marlon Wayans. Retaliation feels like G.I. Joe — not like the cartoon, not just like the comic, but what people loved about the franchise (especially the toys). Director Jon M. Chu gets it. It’s like he made a checklist about what made G.I. Joe special, and decided Retaliation was gonna have all of it. Which means we get:

• A few covert Joe missions

• A few gadgets that are a little bit out there but not wholly unbelievable

• Ninja fights

• People shooting at each other

• Unique-looking military vehicles attacking each other

• More ninja fights

And Retaliation packs all this and more into its trim, just-under-100-minute run time. Between the entertainment on screen and the brisk pacing, there’s practically no time to think about the film’s plot holes and problems. I’ve listed a few in the spoiler-y musings section below, but let me assure you, when I realized them, I thought, “Well, that doesn’t make much sense, but I’m having such a good time. Who cares?”

Which is another way Retaliation improves on the original. Here’s a few more things Retaliation has/does better/does right more than Rise of Cobra:

• likeable characters

• Cool Cobra agents

• Made Cobra Commander look awesome

• Made Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow seem like badasses while they were adults

• A simultaneously goofy and cool Cobra plot to take over the world

• A simultaneously ridiculous let diabolical Cobra weapon they use to take over the world

• Raised the stakes almost immediately (i.e. had stakes)

Retaliation isn’t a perfect movie by any means — no one’s going to confuse it with Citizen Kane — but it’s a completely sold action movie while being a thoughtful love letter to G.I. Joe fans. But it’s not slavish devotion — Chu truly cherry picks the essence of G.I. Joe, and brings out its best to the big screen in a way that should entertain hardcore fans and mass audiences alike.

Assorted Non-Spoiler Musings:

• The Rock was born to be in a live-action G.I. Joe movie. I know he had a wrestling career before this, but this is his true calling.

• The fact that Chu somehow made this movie mesh with the nonsense of the first one, while somehow still being this entertaining, makes me feel he should win should kind of special Academy Award. “Best Transformation of Shit into Gold” or something like that.

• I hate that Channing Tatum seems like a likeable, funny guy. He was a black hole of acting in the first Joe movie, but between this and 21 Jump Street, he seems like a genuinely funny, aware dude. I HATE THAT. LET ME HATE YOU, CHANNING TATUM.

• Oh, one more thing — I personally wouldn’t recommend seeing it in 3D. The action scenes are edited so quick that the 3D actually makes them a little hard to follow, which is a shame. But it may have just been me.
3/29/13 12:47 AM
MickColins
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YVEL MACHIDA -
Juggernautt -
YVEL MACHIDA - Lol I don't understand how The Rock gets acting gigs Phone Post
The rock is actually a good actor. Phone Post
I don't see his part in the movie bringing legitimacy to the franchise. I see it as a cash grab to get the mindless fast and the furious fans out to see GI Joe. Phone Post
You think anything could bring legitimacy to a GI Joe movie? I caught the last one on cable and it was beyond stupid. It was drooling, shit your pants stupid. Phone Post
3/29/13 1:23 AM
Zenoplata

That review sounds promising as to the kind of movie I like.

The Rock brings legitimacy in the sense that he fits what you would probably envision this movie being. A kick-their-ass explosion and cheesy action line movie. If Arnold were younger he'd be the perfect guy to play Duke minus the accent, no one is expecting Daniel Day Lewis or Tom Hanks, it's suppose to be a campy action film, and that's exactly what the Rock stands for.

4/1/13 3:05 PM
ntcdef

some people will hate this movie not matter what.  Just remember what old Jack Burton say when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

This movie kicked ass

4/1/13 3:05 PM
ntcdef

Edited: 04/01/13 3:06 PM

4/1/13 3:06 PM
ntcdef

Edited: 04/01/13 3:07 PM

.... ugg

4/1/13 7:09 PM
Juggernautt
227 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ntcdef -

some people will hate this movie not matter what.  Just remember what old Jack Burton say when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

This movie kicked ass

What the hell Phone Post
4/2/13 2:51 PM
BillyRayChubbs
710 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This movie was exactly what GIJOE should have been in part one!!!

I went with my son, (who played the hell out of his GIJOE action figures) and my Dad who played with army figures when he was a little boy, and me of course who grew up in the 80's with the cartoon, and seriously owned ALL of the old school shit!!!

This movie was fucking amazing.

4/7/13 9:23 AM
Juggernautt

Dead Again -

Saw it just now.

I liked it, but Tatum/Duke did die in the movie. Where did the talk of it being reshot come from?

Wow he did? I still cant believe all my fav joes are dead. Heavy duty, gen hawk, duke and Scarlett.... man I wish they didnt kill them off Phone Post
4/7/13 1:54 PM
RedDragonUK
388 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Tatums out i'm in! Phone Post
4/7/13 5:29 PM
Zenoplata

Dead Again - 
Juggernautt - 
Dead Again -

Saw it just now.

I liked it, but Tatum/Duke did die in the movie. Where did the talk of it being reshot come from?

Wow he did? I still cant believe all my fav joes are dead. Heavy duty, gen hawk, duke and Scarlett.... man I wish they didnt kill them off Phone Post

Sorry for the spoiler. Didn't think about that when posting.

I was waiting for Duke to show up alive again during the entire movie because of this thread.

I'm guessing they put out a fake story that they reshot it with him in order to cover up the leaked spoiler that he died.

4/20/13 10:19 PM
effinggoof
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saw this today.

I completely agree with some of the earlier posts.

The Rock is the ideal guy to play the hero in a movie like this...the guy was perfect in this role.

Ninjas...it's got more fucking ninjas than I have seen in a recent movie, and the whole ninja arc is awesome.

Family friendly...took the kid to see it, and there was not one single moment in the movie where I felt uncomfortable with an 8 yo watching it.

Badass supporting cast.

Good on whomever decided to fork out the big bucks to get Ray Stevenson, Walton Goggins and Johnathan Pryce because, despite Stevensons awful accent, they absolutely nailed thier roles.

Finally. I appreciate as much as anyone that cartoons/cartoon inspired movies are capable of being taken as serious storytelling.

The people behind this movie went another way, and fully embraced the fact that this is an action movie for 7-12 yo boys. If you can watch it as your 10 yo self, it's awesome.

If you can't make yourself see it through a childs eyes, it's going to seem completely ridiculous.

4/21/13 1:46 AM
MarkRobinson
1131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im pretty much down for anything that has ninjas in it. Phone Post
4/22/13 2:51 AM
effinggoof
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson -  Im pretty much down for anything that has ninjas in it. Phone Post

Movies without ninjas would often be improved by the addition of ninjas.

If a movie has ninjas, then the only thing it needs is MORE NINJAS!

This movie has a lot of Ninjas.

4/22/13 4:40 AM
MarkRobinson
1131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

effinggoof -
MarkRobinson -  Im pretty much down for anything that has ninjas in it. Phone Post

Movies without ninjas would often be improved by the addition of ninjas.

If a movie has ninjas, then the only thing it needs is MORE NINJAS!

This movie has a lot of Ninjas.

I like your style, Fren.

Will vote up. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.