UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Question about kid's ranks

3/13/13 4:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shen
630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a kid is, say, a Yellow Belt with a couple stripes, then he turns 16 and seems due for a promotion, is the next available rank always Blue Belt?

I mean you wouldn't take a kid from Yellow Belt to an adult rank of white belt with stripes.

I really don't know.

Thanks.
3/13/13 4:53 AM
Massa
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It think for tournaments that kid has to wear white.

I say give the kid a choice as to what he wears in class, you could keep giving him coloured belts if that is what he wants to do.

I don't see it hurting anyone either way.
3/13/13 5:19 AM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's 16 and only a yellow belt? Hah...

You better get to revising your curriculum, most of my students are 3rd degree black by 14. Phone Post
3/13/13 9:07 AM
SMACDADDY
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HoldYerGround -  He's 16 and only a yellow belt? Hah...

You better get to revising your curriculum, most of my students are 3rd degree black by 14. Phone Post

Shen getting Shen'd in his own thread... Blasphemy!
3/13/13 9:10 AM
Sir Taps
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep him at yellow until he's ready for his blue IMO.

James
3/13/13 9:33 AM
CJJScout
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Taps - Keep him at yellow until he's ready for his blue IMO.

James

This. I think if he wants to compete he could go either way.
3/13/13 11:13 AM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

obviously, it would depend on which membership level they purchased.
3/13/13 1:04 PM
shen
630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, this kid has a "Regular X-treme Membership" which is one of the lowest membership levels --just above the level where I don't even respond if they go unconscious.

--Thanks for the info!
3/13/13 2:06 PM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

did it take a couple yrs of training to get the yellow? if so blue belt.he still competes with kids his own age.

3/13/13 2:08 PM
Gward is good
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Taps - Keep him at yellow until he's ready for his blue IMO.

James

Agreed. That's what we do anyway.
3/13/13 2:27 PM
YPO
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was a Relson yellow belt and put on the blue belt on my 16th birthday. I would do the same if I had kid students. I've heard in some instances of green belt, they would go straight to purple, but I've never seen or heard that happen.
Back in the day, it was just solid colors and that is still how I go with.
3/13/13 3:56 PM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't understand any of this. I thought you had your own belt system?
3/13/13 4:07 PM
Akston
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you test for rank? How does the kid roll with blues? Phone Post
3/13/13 4:29 PM
TristanESP
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not make home wear the blue belt AND the yellow belt. That way people know he is a yellow belt BUT he is 16. Phone Post
3/13/13 4:40 PM
LittleWing
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - If a kid is, say, a Yellow Belt with a couple stripes, then he turns 16 and seems due for a promotion, is the next available rank always Blue Belt?

I mean you wouldn't take a kid from Yellow Belt to an adult rank of white belt with stripes.

I really don't know.

Thanks.

maybe best to put him as a white belt at 16 and then promote him with stripes if he shows he is capable of performing at an adult level? and not jsut rolling, but understanding the techniques as well.

tough to say rly... especially since kids seem to care much more about what colour their belt is. going home and telling mom and dad (or worse, your buddies) you are a white belt again would not feel good. but neither would getting a blue belt and then getting your show run by every white belt in the adult class.

3/13/13 4:42 PM
graciesrule
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grandmaster Mansur has kids go from Yellow and Orange to Blue belt, but a Green belt with a couple of years experience can go straight to purple belt skipping blue all together.
3/13/13 5:25 PM
shen

truehonor - I don't understand any of this. I thought you had your own belt system?

This is for BJJ, not for KaJuShenBo.

KaJuShenBo is taught ONLY to those who have the talent & dedication to purchase a "Black Diamond Elite" membership.

For the "regular" BJJ classes like his, I usually just put on an instructional dvd and catch a nap.
3/13/13 5:52 PM
shen

--OK guys, thank you all for the info!

(For those who wonder, the "kid" is quite good does well in rolling against adults, including very strong guys who have a few MMA fights)

So, I think he's gonna get a Blue Belt.

--and a 20-minute PowerPoint Presentation about the benefits of up grading his membership to the "Black Diamond Elite" level!
3/13/13 5:59 PM
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - --OK guys, thank you all for the info!

(For those who wonder, the "kid" is quite good does well in rolling against adults, including very strong guys who have a few MMA fights)

--and a 20-minute PowerPoint Presentation about the benefits of up grading his membership to the "Black Diamond Elite" level!

good

3/13/13 6:04 PM

shen make sure you let the parents know before hand.we like taking pics and watching things like that

3/13/13 6:27 PM
omoplautistic
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread was efficient. That fuzzy thread should take notice. You don't need 2000 posts to get important stuff DONE. Phone Post
3/13/13 6:32 PM
LittleWing
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omoplautistic -  This thread was efficient. That fuzzy thread should take notice. You don't need 2000 posts to get important stuff DONE. Phone Post

but WAIT...

shen is going to come back tomorrow with some HUGE news about this kid that is going to rock this thread!

he has had a bunch of ppl, who he can't name, contact him with a bunch of stuff he cant tell us about 

3/13/13 7:57 PM
shen

Edited: 03/13/13 8:17 PM
12, I will let his folks know for sure. But...

I just got some CrAzY info guys; this "kid" is apparently a very young looking 28-year old con artist from Rome, who was adopted by some unsuspecting parents 2-years ago... they think he's just 16!

Also, "he" is not truly a "he" if you know what I mean.

There's more, but I need to firm up the details with a midnight phone call to Vatican City. But, you guys know the new Pope...? Well, lets' just say he is very familiar with my student. VERY.

--and that's just for starters!
3/13/13 8:00 PM
Sir Taps
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - --OK guys, thank you all for the info!

If he's doing pretty well against the adults, then blue for sure.

And "Black Diamond Elite"? Really? I think he needs to be fasttracked onto the highly advanced "Carbon Fibre System". Carbon Fibre is cutting edge technology, and KaJuShenBo is a cutting edge martial art/danceform.

James
3/13/13 8:08 PM
shen

Edited: 03/13/13 8:15 PM
^ Usually, I like to start kids in the traditional Shendokai program so they learn proper Master-Student dynamics (determination, obedience, how to make my snacks, etc)

But this kid is talented --his dad's a very rich plastic surgeon-- so I think we'll go right to KaJuShenBo, with a "Black Diamond Elite" or "Black Diamond Titanium Plus" membership package.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.