UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Did Nick Diaz learn from the Condit fight?

3/13/13 11:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GarlicSauce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a big fan of both Diaz and GSP. But everyone (including me) already knows GSP's gameplan: takedowns. Lots and lots of takedowns. He will most likely have a decision win.

But do you think Diaz learned from the Condit fight that he has to vary his game? That his smart opponents won't just stand there and bang with him?

Will we see a new Nick Diaz?
3/13/13 12:37 PM
orcus

"But do you think Diaz learned from the Condit fight that he has to vary his game? That his smart opponents won't just stand there and bang with him?"

What can he do about it? It's possible he has worked on cutting off the ring, but if GSP doesn't like the standup he will just take him down and there's nothing Nick can do to stop it.

3/13/13 12:44 PM
MITman2k
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if it's a matter of "learning" to vary his game as much as it's a matter of whether he has the capability to implement a given one. I think with the Condit fight, Diaz was expecting Condit to 'stand and trade' more and  and when he didn't get that, he didn't vary his game enough to win (on the judges score cards) .

In this fight, if GSP does indeed go for the takedown, then Diaz pretty much alredy knows what he has to do (either stop the takedown or sub him) and the question won't be whether he adjusted to something unexpected, but whether he has the capability to implement the defense against something he knows is already coming.

That being said, GSP may not go straight for takedowns, and instead mix the threat of the takedown with his striking to try and get the upperhand in that arena(and if that fails then he can still go fo the take down). In that case, Diaz adjusting his gameplan from the one mentioned above will indeed be important(as will be whether he has enough skill to implement it)

3/13/13 1:25 PM
white

Why wouldn't GSP just try to outwork him on the feet? He's faster, stronger, has greater agility, footwork and a more varied offensive arsenal. GSP could just as easily outbox him (not to be confused with out-punching him) and call it a day. Diaz is much more dangerous on his back and in scrambles than he his is standing.
3/13/13 1:53 PM
Jay-dog

white - Why wouldn't GSP just try to outwork him on the feet? He's faster, stronger, has greater agility, footwork and a more varied offensive arsenal. GSP could just as easily outbox him (not to be confused with out-punching him) and call it a day. Diaz is much more dangerous on his back and in scrambles than he his is standing.
No way GSP out boxes Diaz. Even if he has the footwork to do so. I don't think he has the mentality for it. Phone Post
3/13/13 5:11 PM
JunkieDog

Jay-dog - 
white - Why wouldn't GSP just try to outwork him on the feet? He's faster, stronger, has greater agility, footwork and a more varied offensive arsenal. GSP could just as easily outbox him (not to be confused with out-punching him) and call it a day. Diaz is much more dangerous on his back and in scrambles than he his is standing.
No way GSP out boxes Diaz. Even if he has the footwork to do so. I don't think he has the mentality for it. Phone Post

That delusion is strong with this one ^^^^^
3/13/13 7:33 PM
Jay-dog

JunkieDog -
Jay-dog - 

That delusion is strong with this one ^^^^^
No not delusional. Let's be honest George stands with guys like Jake Shields he takes down and smothers guys like Diaz. I guess I shouldn't say "no way" but it is highly unlikely he will stay standing long in this fight. It's a smart way to fight if you have the ability to dictate where the fight goes. The last way I see George winning is on his feet. Most likely wins by decision. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.