UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 5 day split routines

3/13/13 12:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gatorlaw
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interested to see whether anyone has tried these with any degree of success for hypertrophy.  I'd like to know if there are any solid 5-day split routines that are doable within 60 mins (or less) per day.

I'm thinking of trying it for a while to take a break from my strength routines.  Thanks in advance.

3/13/13 1:52 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In my experience a 5-day split routine is a waste of time. There is too much overlap from muscle group to muscle group. The smaller muscles (arms etc) are used in every upper-body exercise so they become over-trained easily. Most will stall on upper body and only make progress on lower body on this type of routine due to the above mentioned over-lap.

The key to a successful Split is to limit this and to allow for greater recovery.

Here are two splits I have had tremendous success with over the years:

CLASSIC Push - Pull - Lower Body

This would be along the lines of: an every other day (Mon - Wed - Fri + weekends off)  Chest Shoulders Tris / Back & Bis / Legs calves abs.

The second split which is less well know but has worked wonders is this:

Mon: Shoulders & Arms

Tue: Legs Calves Abs

Wed - Thu: Off

Fri Chest & Back

Sat - Sun: Off

This split allows for two days of rest after each very challenging workout (shoulders & arms being the least systemically tiring combo).

Hope all this is clear.

TAKU 

3/13/13 2:33 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To each there own. I dabbled in physique stuff for a little bit. I got pretty yoked on a 5-day split. It was 6 or so years ago, but if memory serves, I used this split:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/most_powerful_program_ever

I couple years before that, I had good success with a split program by Pavel Tsatsouline which was published in EAS's supplement review before he got really big. It was centered around the 20 rep squat. In the latter case, I got up to about 205 lbs (I'm 170 now - pic in profile) and still was pretty lean. It looked absolutely massive on my small frame.

That said, I feel hypertrophy is more a function diet than anything. The eating was ultimately my down fall. It was way too much work to eat as much as I had to. It took the fun out of life.

3/13/13 3:16 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You had better be hitting the sauce if you want the benefit of a 5 day split.
3/13/13 4:36 PM
WEB
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how do you guys feel about hi intense cardio on days you dont lift weights?
3/13/13 5:15 PM
gatorlaw
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WEB - how do you guys feel about hi intense cardio on days you dont lift weights?
Probably depends on your goals, but I understand that it's not ideal for recovery, especially if it follows leg day. Phone Post
3/13/13 5:24 PM
gatorlaw

And thanks for the responses, fellas.

3/13/13 9:22 PM
CMX
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

check out 8weeksout for cardio ? Phone Post
3/13/13 10:57 PM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5 day splits are fine all depends o. The person.

Monday back
Tuesday chest
Wednesday legs
Thursday shoulders
Friday off
Saturday arms
Sunday off

Check out physiques of greatness on YouTube. He's a natural lifter who does high volume 4/5 day training routines and he's got one of the best physiques I've ever seen. Phone Post
3/13/13 11:14 PM
Chocolate Shatner
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think ANY routine is going to depend on so many factors that it is impossible to determine for each person.

For example, I am currently on a 4 day a week routine (modified Westside template). Been doing it for three months, and while its been great for my physique in terms of appearance, I have not gained a single kilogram on any of my lifts (which is ironic since its a Westside template).

On the other hand, I'll soon switch to a 3 day a week template, a bit more HIT (basically, use one day to obliterate the shit outta either the chest, the back, or the legs, and then let them rest 7 except for some mobility work). Now, usually that gets me good gains, but takes my aesthetics to hell. I'm willing to do this mainly because of some other outside the weight room requirements on my body that will (hopefully) balance it out.

I've known people that do well on 2 day a week full body, others who do 6 day a week double splits.

The main thing for any program is going to be how much rest and recovery you have. If you cannot get the sleep, the rest, and the nutrition needed to let your body recover from a 5 day split, then don't fucking do it. Do a 4 day, do a 3 day, whatever.
3/16/13 12:44 AM

Jesus KO'd stayrad -
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash - 5 day splits are fine all depends o. The person.

Monday back
Tuesday chest
Wednesday legs
Thursday shoulders
Friday off
Saturday arms
Sunday off

Check out physiques of greatness on YouTube. He's a natural lifter who does high volume 4/5 day training routines and he's got one of the best physiques I've ever seen. Phone Post
He's also an annoying cunt Phone Post
Lol he's funny as fuck

Haters gon hate Phone Post
3/16/13 1:03 PM
Taku
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/16/13 2:45 PM

In my experience there are very few instances where a 100% natural athlete will thrive on high frequency training routines.

The only time this works well is when used during brief "BLITZ" cycles These brief cycles should last 1-3 weeks where volume, intensity, frequency, etc may all be increased just long enough to allow for a stimulus that may trigger an increased growth response.  The dose should then be brought back down to "norma"l levels, or even followed by brief lay-offs.

TAKU

3/16/13 2:58 PM
Taku

Something simple. Like this: http://tinyurl.com/aqseqkb

TAKU

3/16/13 3:58 PM
Taku

Some info on Over Training here: http://tinyurl.com/aqmv7kj

TAKU

3/17/13 6:39 AM

Jesus KO'd stayrad -
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash -
Jesus KO'd stayrad -
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash - 5 day splits are fine all depends o. The person.

Monday back
Tuesday chest
Wednesday legs
Thursday shoulders
Friday off
Saturday arms
Sunday off

He's also an annoying cunt Phone Post
Lol he's funny as fuck

Haters gon hate Phone Post
He obviously knows what he's doing training and nutrition wise but I can't get through ten seconds of one of his videos Phone Post
Haha fair call I guess he's definately a loud SOB Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.