UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Colossus: I did it with brute force and heart

3/13/13 1:13 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This is number nineteen in Jack Brown’s series of interviews with MMA fighters and personalities, and for this particular interview, we’re honored to feature the always entertaining, veteran MMA heavyweight, James “The Colossus” Thompson.  The 6’ 5” British giant has fought all over the world at heavyweight and super heavyweight.  As large of a man as he is, his persona is often larger.  Please enjoy our conversation below.

Jack Brown: What was your first experience with martial arts/combat sports and what do you think of it now, looking back?

James Thompson: I started late, at 23.  Before that, I'd just been a big guy who hit the weights.  I liked sports, but had never been compelled to get involved until I saw MMA.

JB: You've fought in many different MMA organizations over the course of your long career.  Which organization impressed you most and why?

JT: Easy.  PRIDE.  It wasn't all good, far from it, last minute phone calls asking you to fight, constant switching opponents, etc.  But they knew how to put on a great show and make MMA magic.  Plus, I liked fighting MMA in front of people who knew about the sport of MMA.

JB: Which fight do you regard as your most "complete" performance as fighter?

JT: That's a good question.  And it’s a hard one.  I’ve gotten by mostly on brute force and heart.  I was pleased with my fight with Fujita even though it was a loss and I ran out of gas.

JB: You've fought so many of MMA's most physically imposing fighters - Giant Silva, Mariusz Pudzianowski, Bob Sapp, and Bobby Lashley, just to name a few.  Of all the fighters you've fought who were known primarily for their physique, who impressed you most with their technique?

JT: Ermm… Sapp was really f---ing strong.  I'll give him that.

JB: Now that nearly five years have gone by, how do you view your controversial loss to Kimbo Slice back in EliteXC?

JT: The same.  They gave him every chance to come back, but gave me none.  Such is life.  I learned a lot from that.  See me vs. Pudz, 2.

JB: What rematches would you be most interested in?

JT: I'd like to fight anyone who's beaten me, but the two guys who hold wins over me that kill me are Neil Grove and Rob Broughton.

JB: Who are the other MMA fighters that you enjoy watching and what is the quality that you most respect in other fighters?

JT: So many.  My old favorites were Enson and Frye.  Now I love watching Joachim Hansen and Frankie Edgar.  I like watching anyone with heart.

JB: You have many interests outside of fighting. What pursuits are you currently putting the most energy into?

JT: I love writing, so I'm always writing my Colossal Concerns blogs and trying to get though my book, “Gym Tales and Colossal Adventures.”  But with the podcasts, the videos I’m doing, etc., I find it hard to focus on one thing.  My site colossalcollective.com has everything under one roof.  It's up, but not finished.  Check it out.

JB: I've deduced from your Twitter that you're a fan of the writer, Irvine Welsh.  He's one of my favorite authors as well, and I'm very curious about which of his books you enjoyed most and what it is that you like about his style of writing.

JT: Yeah I'm talking to him on Twitter, which is a big deal for me as he's my favorite author.  That’s why I like twitter.  Now were twitter m8's.  It's hard because they’re all so good, but I liked “Filth” and my favorite is “Marabou Stork Nightmares.”

JB: Last question, James, and I am so glad that you took the time to do this.  At UFC 156, a former opponent of yours lost in a dramatic upset defeat.  What did you think of Bigfoot Silva's KO of Alistair Overeem?

JT: I think he'll learn from it.  You are most likely to lose when you think you've got the game and your opponent figures you out.  There’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance.  Overeem learned that.

Thank you so much for reading, and please follow @JColossus and @jackjohnbrown on Twitter, and check out James-The-Colossus-Thompson and jackjohnbrownmma on Facebook.

Thanks to @KirikJenness for @theUG

There will likely be no more interviews posted this week as Jack travels to Montreal for UFC 158, but you can enjoy his accounts from recent trips to UFC 152, UFC 154, and UFC 156 on the UG.
Previous Jack Brown interviews:
#1 Dan Hardy
#2 Rose Namajunas
#3 Joe Lauzon
#4 War Machine
#5 Tom Lawlor
#6 Mike DolceDiet
#7 Reggie Warren
#8 Bas Rutten
#9 Bobby Razak
#10 Joe Proctor and Daron Cruickshank
#11 Chris Leben
#12 Tarec Saffiedine
#13 Dany Lauzon
#14 Jimmy Smith
#15 Phil Baroni
#16 Julie Kedzie
#18 Bec Hyatt

3/13/13 4:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mega Colossus
445 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/13 4:59 PM

As much as I'd like to disagree you, your right with all your comments. I don't want to be remembered as light entertainmen, as the guy whos ear exploded but still has he's boyish good looks. Even though  I'm getting on what I've learnt in the time I've been fighting mma means I'm ready, mental and physical  to make some shit happen. Belive me when I say this final part of my career I'm at a stage in life were im going to be able to show everyone  what I'm all about

3/13/13 4:23 PM
BigWilliam
277 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The loss to kimbo was garbage. Basically a fixed fight from the way I saw it.
3/13/13 4:54 PM
Steven McTowelie
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff.

Liking the videos, good interview.

All the best on the current and any future endeavours!

PS - Kimbo was garbage. Was frustrating but it is was it is (was?).
3/13/13 5:19 PM
Uncle Muay Thai
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mega Colossus -

As much as I'd like to disagree you, your right with all your comments. I don't want to be remembered as light entertainmen, as the guy whos ear exploded but still has he's boyish good looks. Even though  I'm getting on what I've learnt in the time I've been fighting mma means I'm ready, mental and physical  to make some shit happen. Belive me when I say this final part of my career I'm at a stage in life were im going to be able to show everyone  what I'm all about

Btw the name you were looking for was Coleen Nolan, back when you were on the JRE. Team colossus !!!!!!!! Phone Post
3/13/13 6:06 PM
Hammerfister
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just want to thank James for taking the time to do the interview. Decided early on that I wanted him for the series. It wasn't just because he also loves Irvine Welsh too. I got this thing for fighters that wear their hearts on their sleeves. They show us the duality that exists in humans and remind us that this is not a movie or video game. James is not a character actor. He's a timeless force of nature. Keep moving forward, James! And thanks for reading, UG -Jack Brown
3/13/13 6:20 PM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mega Colossus -

War! Phone Post
3/13/13 6:47 PM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hope to see you in the UFC big guy! Phone Post
3/13/13 6:50 PM
yellow wrkahlc
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I did it for the lulz"

3/13/13 7:04 PM
solidsnake
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mega Colossus, have you ever considered getting into action films in Hollywood?

Damn, you have such a marketing look and personality, would love to see you as a henchman in a future Jason Statham film.

Anyway, some of us old school fans are still routing for you to make a big run in MMA.

Good luck!
3/13/13 7:10 PM
Right Hand JO Power
1004 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

James is awesome. I love watching him fight. Phone Post
3/13/13 7:11 PM
Smellde Gluve
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mega Colossus - 

Hell yeah. Best of luck. Will be watching.

3/13/13 7:16 PM
MilosVP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/13 7:23 PM
Loved you on the Rogan podcast; great show.

Best of luck to you.
3/13/13 7:18 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for James Thompson

3/13/13 7:56 PM
ranier wolfcastle
994 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mute

3/13/13 8:22 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - The loss to kimbo was garbage. Basically a fixed fight from the way I saw it.
It was absolutely disgraceful, sickening really. That fight is the only reason I will never have a shred of respect for Dan Miragliotta. Phone Post
3/15/13 7:31 AM
PermitMeFisticuffsBrother
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who was the big guy in the small blue shorts?
3/15/13 7:36 AM
marrilia
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

James ...loved listening to you on the JRE ..hopefully we see going to see you back on one off the bog shows.. Phone Post
3/15/13 8:07 AM
Kirik
1745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Mega Colossus - 

That is a famous reply.

3/15/13 8:42 AM
Culinary Union Delegate
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think "The Acid House" is Welsh's best work. Just the right amount of grime. 

More Gypsy removal stories. 

3/15/13 8:43 AM
Snappy Whistleteeth
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2013, the year of the Colossus.... Phone Post
3/20/13 8:11 PM
Hammerfister
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read this yet? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.