UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Best Marketing Returns 4 bjj School

3/13/13 6:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJER
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those of you who do marketing. What's the best bang for the buck?

Have been looking at several options but most seem like a scam.
3/13/13 7:02 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/13/13 7:44 PM
shen
630 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/13 8:51 PM
I have heard really good things about purchasing a 30-second spot during the Superbowl. Haven't really looked into it.
3/13/13 9:09 PM
cumprido1
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The superbowl ad prob costs about the same as lloyds megaballer seminar. Phone Post
3/13/13 9:17 PM
Tehunamatata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7min abs Phone Post
3/14/13 12:55 AM
BJJER
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh, superbowl. That's little league. My school already pulls 5 trillion a year but i still want more.
3/14/13 1:35 AM
Team Python
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/13 1:35 AM
The PennySaver
3/14/13 2:36 AM
DK Chaos
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to be a big fan of all the Team LI stuff, (never bought any of it just watched all the hype vids on youtube etc.) recent events have put me off it a little bit though.

I'm starting to think that maybe the best way to market jiu jitsu is just like any other service, just make sure that each class / session is really great, well organised, everybody gains something from it. I think too many people worry about how do i get 100 new sign ups this month whereas they'd be better focusing on the people they do have and encouraging those people to spread the word.
3/14/13 6:39 AM
meatrokket
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is relevant to my interests. Phone Post
3/14/13 6:43 AM
JSho
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - I have heard really good things about purchasing a 30-second spot during the Superbowl. Haven't really looked into it.
For shame, a real baller would go for a minimum of 60... Phone Post
3/14/13 6:47 AM
mchapman
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say constant, consistent marketing. YouTube, google, yelp, blogging, also getting out and meeting people. Direct mail to your zip if you have the budget. Phone Post
3/14/13 8:45 AM
Akston
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Facebook Phone Post
3/14/13 9:48 AM
27CrazyFeet
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first do all the free stuff correct

when someone googles "your town mma/bjj/judo/self defense/karate" your website should come up. your facebook should come up your youtube etc etc

then adwords

i stopped using facebook ads

going to start a radio campaign

going to start doing fliers in my city

supporting charity events

and im ramping up how i get referrals as well

im just getting started i marketing my biz in a lot of ways but i feel i learned a lot and im willing to share. hopefully others are willing as well
3/14/13 10:06 AM
rayonyx7
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Create an association.
Get a bunch of non-black belts paying to be part of your association.
Require mandatory seminars with bb proffesor(s).
Require buying association merchandise (gi, patch, rash guard, etc..).
Create programs to certify non-black belt coaches.
Have a beginners, executive,cardio kick boxing, women, and childern's class (your real money makers).
Have iron clad contracts where it's expensive to sign for short periods of time (eg. 200 a month for 1 year sign up) vs. discounted rates for longer term contracts (eg. 3 year contract $135 a month).
Always talk about how your academy has a family vibe (funny my family never charges me to hang with them)

Profit!!

There you go my fren. Please feel free to use this amazing information free of charge.
3/14/13 2:13 PM
BJJWorkouts
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People do business with people they like.

Be likeable and approachable.

I have owned 2 facilities (Fitness not BJJ) and 95% of my clients came from referrals. And I did all the typical marketing stuff...FB, SEO etc....but the majority of folks came from other happy folks.
3/14/13 4:21 PM
Team Python

1. Make sure you are on the top of the list of the search engines in your area. A good informative website on what they will get from your school.

2. Referrals are a big plus and you can even give a student money for a referral that signs up. Most of my students come from referrals and Word of Mouth is so important. Your reputation is everything. Treat your students and their family members well and they will spread the word about you.

3. Charge a reasonable price for your monthly tuition and don't do 2 year contracts. 1 year the most. I do 6 month contracts and I have had guys with me for over 9 years.

4. Have a good reputation and teach well. Nobody is going to recommend a shitty school. Teach the big 3...self defense, vale-tudo and competition. A well rounded curriculum will attract various types of students. Everybody trains for various reasons.

5. Fliers are good as well and place them in businesses that would attract potential students. Don't use cheesy paper ones instead get the glossy card style fliers.

6. Design attractive school shirts and have your website and phone number on them.....these are walking bill boards and free advertisement and students love wearing school shirts.

Just remember retention is just as important as getting students to sign up. Make learning possible for everyone. Have a curriculum that makes learning easier to follow and help students track their progress.

3/14/13 6:04 PM
NTXMMAjunky
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Python hit some good points. Retention is key. People will always quit but make sure you can look yourself in the mirror and give yourself a reason why. To be in a business like this you have to have a passion for it. People will feed of that. It's easy to spot the instructor who is trying to make the sale rather than trying to get someone else to love what he loves. Phone Post
3/14/13 6:47 PM
BJJER

Python.

Great advice, thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.