UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Black Belt Fraud

3/13/13 8:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gerbiljiujitsu
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evidently my BJJ credentials are being questioned.  I just cant decide if this person knows me personally and is trying to get back at me or if they are truly ignorant and don't know how to use google.

here is the link 

http://screamingreviews.com/warning-of-fake-bjj-instructors-and-blackbelts-in-north-and-south-carolina/?goback=%2Egde_166112_member_222103048

To say that I'm upset would be an understatement.  If this was a troll attempt then they were successful. The accusations and assumptions in this statement are so over the top ludicrous that I feel I must actually respond to clear my name in case someone that doesn't know me actually reads this.  

1. To suggest that my belt was bought from my instructor is infuriating. Like many of you have I have trained to get where I am and earned what I have.  My instructor has been around for a long time, and to question his integrity, and his value of BJJ is inexcusable
2. 2. I have never trained with, nor received rank from Scott Shields.  I have never rolled with, grappled with, trained with or anything of the sort with Mr. Shields.  The only interaction I have with this man came from two beneifit seminars that I was asked to teach at.
3. I did train with Luis Togno.  There is a lot of controversy surrounding this man.  People either loved him or hated him.  When I met Luis he was a certified 2nd degree black belt under Romero”Jacare” Cavalanti the head coach for Alliance BJJ.  Luis owned and operated an Alliance affiliate school for the total amount of time that I trained with Luis.  I received my blue belt and purple belt from Luis.  
4. Gordo awarded me both my brown belt and my black belt.  My whole trip is chronicled here http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f12/moving-brazil-05-06-2009-a-969605/ .  The trip was not a quick one, and this blog tells about all of my ups and downs in training.  It spans the better part of 3.5 years.  

I must say that I find the timing of this accusation infuriating as well.  I just got ACL surgery on Friday and I'm not in any condition to walk, let alone roll.  If this had been said 2 weeks ago I would have welcomed the opportunity to train with any doubter.

Also, why in the hell was my name brought up?  From the feel and flow of this article it seems to me that it was written about me.  Why not google my name?? why not call me or contact me?  You would rather (allegedly) send a letter to my instructor with a contentious tone?  This is infurating.

Does anyone have information on the person who wrote this article?  Does anyone know about the group that wrote it or the group that it was posted in?  Any information would be greatly helpful.

3/13/13 8:48 PM
TrappeBier
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who is this guy trashing you? Phone Post
3/13/13 8:52 PM
Gerbiljiujitsu
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have no clue.  That is part of the frustrating  part.

3/13/13 8:55 PM
shen
981 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/13 9:18 PM
I don't have any proof, but I THINK it may have possibly been written by that little kid you pulled the Mentos & Diet Coke trick on.

--Really though, good luck & get better!
3/13/13 8:56 PM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think the guy is local from his other reviews
3/13/13 8:57 PM
jackandcoke02
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go shit on him, we know you're legit
3/13/13 8:58 PM
gusto

how did you even find that page?
3/13/13 9:02 PM
Larfox
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Now it gets even worse as we have a student of Scott Shields and Luis Togno (both proven fake BJJ blackbelts) and he (Jeremy Arel) is teaching Brazilian jiu jitsu in nearby Fort Mill SC (his school is called Great Grappling in Fort Mill). <b>This clown trained under both these previous fraudsters so that means he is just as bad and then he claims to have trained under non other then Gordo Correa and his prestigious Gordo Jiu Jitsu academy.</b> It smells fishy at best to me. So, I contacted Gordo and his academy on their Facebook page to see if Jeremy Arel was really a blackbelt under him. Here is what I asked of the Gordo Jiu Jitsu academy and it will be interesting to see their response:"

Great inductive reasoning there.

It's also great that he posts this article prior to finishing his fact checking, like waiting for the response from GordoJJ's facebook page.
3/13/13 9:04 PM
Gerbiljiujitsu

gusto - how did you even find that page?

someone sent me a private message and warned me about it.  Told me that I might want to get on top of it before it got out of hand.

3/13/13 9:04 PM
value tudo

How hard did you kick this dude's ass?
3/13/13 9:06 PM
vegard
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

can't wait for gordo's response
3/13/13 9:13 PM
TrappeBier
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What was the Sucuri (RIP) drama? Phone Post
3/13/13 9:15 PM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude obviously doesn't know to come on the Atama forum to call out fake black belts.

Can you contact him through that website? Do you think it could be a competitor or someone you may have had a disagreement with in the past trying to get at you? Phone Post
3/13/13 9:18 PM
Gerbiljiujitsu

TristanESP -  Dude obviously doesn't know to come on the Atama forum to call out fake black belts.

Can you contact him through that website? Do you think it could be a competitor or someone you may have had a disagreement with in the past trying to get at you? Phone Post

I'm not sure.  I posted a reply on his blog and it's waiting for moderation. 

It may be an instructor at another school that has lost students.  I'm not sure, nor am I sure if I'll ever find out.

3/13/13 9:20 PM
Gumby
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got nothing to add, other than Gerbil is indeed legit, and i get to roll with Gordo tonight :)
3/13/13 9:34 PM
gusto

Gerbiljiujitsu - 
gusto - how did you even find that page?

someone sent me a private message and warned me about it.  Told me that I might want to get on top of it before it got out of hand.

i dont know man, that is a junk website. whoever informed you about it must have some info.
3/13/13 10:02 PM
Synado
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well I teased you earlier. But I enjoy your technique post and you seem like an awesome instructor.
3/13/13 10:07 PM
Synado
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you near another school who competes with you for students?
3/13/13 10:24 PM
Rick Screeton
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

legit

3/13/13 10:26 PM
dustyaguas

I'm in for this

3/13/13 10:29 PM
puppet
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gumby - I got nothing to add, other than Gerbil is indeed legit, and i get to roll with Gordo tonight :)
Sick Phone Post
3/13/13 10:36 PM
SiuHung
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gerbil, I don't know you personally and have never trained with you (although I'd welcome the opportunity). Your youtube vids are always very detailed and helpful and I have no doubt whatsoever of the legitimacy of your rank. I always am impressed with the selfless sharing of your knowledge.
Forget this fool, recover and get back on the mat. It's just some desperate Ahole who's trying to get a rise out of you.

Mike C.
3/13/13 10:40 PM
BayviewJiuJitsu

Sounds like someone is trying to hype up a Royce Gracie affiliate since Royce is mentioned as "challenging" one of the fake bb's and your also accused of not being able to "hold par" with Royce Gracie blue belts. Is there some affiliate near by? Have some badass blue belts come into your school doing the Gracie Train?
3/13/13 10:51 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I followed the "moving to Brazil" blog from start to finish. That's why it seems pretty funny to me that anyone would call Jeremy's credentials into question. Phone Post
3/13/13 10:54 PM
Synado

Edited: 03/13/13 10:55 PM
BayviewJiuJitsu - Sounds like someone is trying to hype up a Royce Gracie affiliate since Royce is mentioned as "challenging" one of the fake bb's and your also accused of not being able to "hold par" with Royce Gracie blue belts. Is there some affiliate near by? Have some badass blue belts come into your school doing the Gracie Train?

Based off this post I want to make a preemptive strike for Steve Hall who is Royce Gracie affiliate in the area to avoid finger pointing. I was thinking of visiting Luis but made a post on here and Steve invited me over. I told him when I was there that I was thinking of going to Luis place because it closer, but his time was off. Steve said he was a cool guy and said nothing bad about him. Just before this spirals into some wackiness. I know Steve used to post on these boards and might chime in at some point. But if it is a Royce affiliate, I am sure it wasn't Steve. This is when I just dropped into town on a visit. I also trained with one of Gerbils students who was a nice guy and very sharp. I have respect for both of them and don't want some OG math turning this thread into a mess.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.