UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Black Belt Fraud

3/14/13 12:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ilnosnirx
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gerbil you should sue that motherfucker for defamation!!!
3/14/13 12:12 PM
icon115
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck on healing. I for one learn a lot from your videos.

Thanks.
3/14/13 12:22 PM
Hillary
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We know you're legit. Ive never rolled with Jeremy but I've met him and watched him train at Gordo's along with following his Sherdog thread. That's clearly just 97%er hatin'. Phone Post
3/14/13 12:40 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like they removed all the (false) information after Dennis Asche commented.
3/14/13 12:55 PM
Gerbiljiujitsu
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my mind around this.  Now the owner of the site is saying that he wants me to act professional (which I have) and ask the internet posters to back down.

My real issue surrounding this is the fact that it is almost certain that the guy who owns the site is the guy who posted on the private Renzo forum and the guy who wrote the initial review.

Now he's aiming for plausible deniability and trying to play the "it wasn't me card".  The problem with that is that regardless of what you think, the internet is not anonymous and I'm hesitant to give any slack to a guy that literally tried to harm my business. 

It is clear that he knows the BJJ scene as he named people that are local and are not professional fighters.  He knew enough to post about these specific people and then accuse me.  

We are left with two options.  Either this guy is extremely naive, ignorant and stupid (all rolled into one) OR he is an asshole intent on defaming me. 

When you google "jeremy arel fraud" his site is the #2 to come up.  Because his site is still cached by google you can see that it clearly says that my lineage is questionable (which it is not).  The only reason his site is #2 and not #1 is because I made two threads that have similar titles as to circumvent his crappy website.

I may seek legal action as it is clear to me that this was set up to hurt my business and thus my lively hood.  What I need from this group is more information so that if I do choose to go to the authorities I will have a strong case.

I have already compiled some information from some professional internet security personnel.  If you guys have screen shots, past caches of the website, information from where he has posted before I would like you to post that in this thread so that I can collect it if I need to.  It will also allow other people to see what information is already collected and build off of it.

thanks.

Jeremy
3/14/13 12:59 PM
Gerbiljiujitsu
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for those of you who missed the posts on the Renzo Gracie private forum

This article was originally linked from the Renzo Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy Linkedin group. It's a private group but it looks like anyone can join.

I don't know if naming and shaming is allowed, but honestly, I don't care. 

The submitter, and I assume author's name is David Maille. he is from Charlotte NC.  Here's a link to his publc linked in profile that he used to post the article to the Renzo Gracie group right after joining.

[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=197709439&authType=name&authToken=goRB&goback=%2Egmp_166112%2Eamf_166112_197709439&trk=anetppl_profil"]http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=197709439&authType=name&authToken=goRB&goback=%2Egmp_166112%2Eamf_166112_197709439&trk=anetppl_profil[/URL]

Below is our exchange, I've removed my name from the conversation.

ME • I'm not saying this can't possibly be true, but you are aware that Jeremy Arel blogged his entire time while living and training in Brazil right?
10 hours ago

Follow David
David Maillie • Interesting- I blogged the whole time when I was in DC, did that make me President or a Congressman? Nope. If this guy really did earn a blackbelt then the Gordo Jiu Jitsu academy should have no problem verifying his blackbelt to the person that wrote that article on that website. If I were a world class BJJ trainer like Gordo or Royce Gracie I would know all of my blackbelts and be able to quickly verify them and I would stand behind them. Besides, I looked at the Great Grappling website and this Jeremy Arel's supposed training and it doesn't match up to someone that earned their BJJ blackbelt. It matches more in line with someone that went to Brazil for a few months, learned some techniques and then either bought their belt or just claimed to have one. According to the article both of his previous teachers in NC are both known frauds (I found the link to the Better Business Bureau warning on the one to be very interesting). Royce Gracie, personally takes students from these "teachers" and restarts them as white belts regardless of rank because their technique is terrible. From what I have read Gordo is very hard on his students, just like Gracie. Most likely he would have had his blackbelts along with purples, blues and whites roll with him and then restarted Arel as a white belt which means he couldn't possibly have earned a real BJJ blackbelt by now. Its just not possible. Well, in any case it will be interesting to hear what Gordo Jiu Jitsu has to say. If they say he really did earn one well then I suppose that would end that discussion. Wouldn't it? But, being that his lineage includes 2 known fraud BJJ teachers I don't have high hopes for Mr. Arel.
6 hours ago• Like

Me • I wasn't saying the act of blogging would make him a black belt, I'm saying you can easily verify how much time he spent in Rio. You can reach out to Dennis from Connection Rio as well to verify his training time. 

I honestly can't understand why you would write an article accusing him of being a fraud when you have zero proof and with a little google searching you can find the pictures of him in Rio training at Gordo's. You can see his belt color in the photo's and videos taken at the time. You can read his blog of his entire time in Rio over at the sherdog.net grappling forums. 

May I ask what are you qualifications to judge the quality of his instruction? Have you visited his school and offered a challenge? Go old school. 

FYI, I don't actually know him except through the forums and the videos he posts. I train at the Renzo Gracie Training Facilty in CT, so I'm in no way affiliated with Great Grappling.
6 hours ago

Me • Also, where did you get this info: "Royce Gracie, personally takes students from these "teachers" and restarts them as white belts regardless of rank because their technique is terrible." 

I didn't see that in any of the links you posted.
3/14/13 12:59 PM
chitownbjj
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope u took screenshots of the initial story that was posted. Otherwise, look for a cached copy or use the Internet time machine and take screenshots. Phone Post
3/14/13 1:00 PM
checkuroil
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with moving forward legally. More people need to experience consequences for running off at the mouth on the Internet.
And since its not legal to punch him, then this is the happy medium

Also he posted the story before even confirming with gordo. He admitted it in the story. That right there is some bullshit Phone Post
3/14/13 1:09 PM
nogidavid
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub
3/14/13 2:31 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i bet its lloyd tryin to spread that heat elsewhere

3/14/13 3:03 PM
The Gimp
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd think long and hard about taking legal action man.

First of all a lawsuit is a tremendous amount of time, stress, money, and effort. You will likely have to invest a lot of your own time in the lawsuit, which means less time to grapple, teach your students, hang out with your family, etc.

Second of all, what do you think the effect will be?

Will you get money from this guy? He may be judgment proof, but you won't know until you have already invested a significant amount of money into your case. Do you really want to spend thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars obtaining a shiny judgment which is worth exactly nothing?

Will you change this gentleman's behavior? He's already backed off and removed the material from his website. I don't know if you can get a court order preventing him from libeling you in the future, but even if you could, it's not very good for you. He could libel you again and then you'd have to go back to the legal system and spend more time and money to get it taken down. Plus a lawsuit tends to escalate emotion and bad behavior so he may decide fuck it, if Gerbil's suing me I'll just put that shit right back up until a judge orders me to take it down.

Do you have any friends or students who are lawyers? I strongly encourage you to speak with them before filing suit. (If you go to a lawyer you don't know, of course he or she may encourage you to file suit because he or she wants to get paid. Ugly but that can be the reality of it).

In a funny way a lawsuit can actually lend legitimacy to this guy. People might start to wonder why you are so concerned about this joker.

Again I'd talk to a lawyer you trust if possible. And if you have time and money to burn and you want to teach this jerk a lesson, then maybe go for it. But pursuing a lawsuit is a giant pain in the ass - worth avoiding if you can.

Just my .02 Good luck man! Hope to train with you someday soon.
3/14/13 11:10 PM
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/13 11:20 PM

let it go,your legit,it will blow over.take your time coming back,dont rush it.heal up soon.when you think your ready give it a couple more weeks.

3/14/13 11:20 PM
jackandcoke02
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sufferingsuckatash - i bet its lloyd tryin to spread that heat elsewhere

I had the same thought.....
3/15/13 2:34 AM
JoejitsuMD
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 -

let it go,your legit,it will blow over.take your time coming back,dont rush it.heal up soon.when you think your ready give it a couple more weeks.

Agreed. Try to not let it consume you. There are bad people out there, rise above it. Look forward to seeing more videos when you get healthy. Phone Post
3/15/13 3:46 AM
LEMon
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Every time I watch your videos I'm like wow this dude keeps calling out Joe rogan, that's brave for an old Chinese man..that's you right?

Your vids are great man you seem like a good coach, I too would follow legal action. Can you scan a certificate from Gordo? That pretty much shuts his argument down Phone Post
3/15/13 5:54 AM
Akston
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soon. Gif Phone Post
3/16/13 1:48 PM
patches
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i skimmed through this thread so i apologize in advance if im wrong....but you got your bb in 3.5 years? again being lazy and didnt read everything.
3/17/13 7:52 AM
PayItForward
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

talk to lawyer friends.

going legal may be a pyrrhic victory.

i still think it's this guy...:

3/17/13 7:53 AM
PayItForward
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

patches - i skimmed through this thread so i apologize in advance if im wrong....but you got your bb in 3.5 years? again being lazy and didnt read everything.

i read it as 3.5 from purple.
3/17/13 2:06 PM
QAM256
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

patches - i skimmed through this thread so i apologize in advance if im wrong....but you got your bb in 3.5 years? again being lazy and didnt read everything.
Purple to black Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.