UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> BJJ Chicago

3/13/13 9:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Phong Hong Kooey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am thinking of starting to train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There is a school a block from my house called Rio BJJ. The instructor is Pete "The Greek" Letsos. Can anyone tell me if he is a good instructor or would I be better off going to Carlson Gracie Jr or one of the other instructors in the area? Pedro Vianna, Jay Valko, Andre Negao, etc. Thank you very kindly.

PHK
3/13/13 9:22 PM
shen
973 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/13/13 9:24 PM
Most of those guys are from Carlson originally (not Negao).

Jay Valko posts here sometimes.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Chicago is not a bad place for BJJ.
3/13/13 9:23 PM
TristanESP
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All those places are legit. Obviously factors such as distance, price, and schedules will play a part in your decision but check them all out for the personality of the school. Some are more traditional some more casual, etc. which one one will you fit you best? Only way is to try. Phone Post
3/13/13 9:25 PM
tmgrtl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/13 11:16 AM
Lots of good Jiu Jitsu in Chicago. You can't go wrong at any Carlson Gracie affiliated academies, they're all very tight knit and train hard. My best friend trains at Copa BJJ under Mark Daley (Carlson Jr* Black Belt).

*edited for correction
3/13/13 9:38 PM
Tony Kush

pete the greek is a good teacher ive trained there before and it doesnt cost that much either he is one of juniors black belts you should try it out i believe the give a free week to see if you like it
3/13/13 9:44 PM
Tony Kush

are you into mma or just bjj training because pete the greek is just bjj i believe.carlson gracie jr has bjj,judo,muay thai.valko is a full mma program wrestling,boxing,judo,muay thai,bjj
3/13/13 10:13 PM
MickColins
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"My best friend trains at Copa BJJ under Mark Daley (Carlson Sr Black Belt)."

Mack the Knife is a Junior Blackbelt. I train at Junior's. We have Junior,Daniel Wanderley,Rudy Jimenez and Anthony Monahan teaching BJJ, Andre Campos teaches Judo and Andre Madiz teaches Muay Thai. I met Pete the Greek at one of Junior's barbecues and he was a nice dude. I don't think you can go wrong with anyplace, as people have said. Try out classes at all of them and see which one you like the most. Also, see which ones are the easiest to get to. Ive seen lots of dudes be like "oh, the travel doesnt matter" but after awhile it just burns them out.

3/13/13 10:56 PM
bonez05

Chicago training is all about location to your house.

If Pete's doesn't work out check us out. Chicagomma.com. Ralph Gracie affiliate under misho ceko
3/13/13 11:23 PM
aaronlapoi
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know most of the black belts in Chicago, but since you specifically asked about Pete I'll tell you about him. Pete is Awesome. It's that simple. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know him or is flat out lying. Back in the day before his injury he was a major competitor. He has an awesome style of jiu-jitsu that is very technical with crazy pressure. He knows what it's like to train like a world champion since he used to train regularly with guys like Andre Galvao and Fredson Paixao.
3/13/13 11:47 PM
7 Dust

Aaron hate to high jack the thread, but can you check out my judo question on the judo forum. Thx

Also there are endless places to train in Chicago. Visit all of them within reason. The one that matches the vibe your looking for is the key.
3/13/13 11:58 PM
Bruce Hoyer
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Compridobjj.com Phone Post
3/14/13 12:39 AM
MickColins
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bruce Hoyer - Compridobjj.com Phone Post
Comprido is way out in the suburbs. Phone Post
3/14/13 10:22 AM
insl

Check out the Carlson Gracie Headquarters, Carlson Jr. moved the school to 2866 N Milwaukee recently. I live in the same area and started training there when I moved to Chicago in December. I can't say enough good things about Junior and the other instructors and everyone that trains there, it's a great environment and I couldn't be happier with my training there.
3/14/13 10:25 AM
bonez05

Edited: 03/14/13 10:25 AM
Mick is right, Comprido is great, but he's the hell out there. Set yourself up for success and train based on convenience.

The first time you sit in a car for 45 min trying to get to class you'll quit. The way I look at it is, if there is a school that I can walk to , that may mean I can train 4 days a week vs driving to BFE i might only be able to train 2 - 3 days a week.

You can't go wrong with any of the instructors in the city.
3/14/13 11:16 AM
tmgrtl
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MickColins - 

"My best friend trains at Copa BJJ under Mark Daley (Carlson Sr Black Belt)."

Mack the Knife is a Junior Blackbelt. I train at Junior's. We have Junior,Daniel Wanderley,Rudy Jimenez and Anthony Monahan teaching BJJ, Andre Campos teaches Judo and Andre Madiz teaches Muay Thai. I met Pete the Greek at one of Junior's barbecues and he was a nice dude. I don't think you can go wrong with anyplace, as people have said. Try out classes at all of them and see which one you like the most. Also, see which ones are the easiest to get to. Ive seen lots of dudes be like "oh, the travel doesnt matter" but after awhile it just burns them out.

Oops, thanks for the correction! Love Chicago and its abundance of BJJ. I visited for the first time last year.
3/14/13 12:17 PM
porra
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

insl - Check out the Carlson Gracie Headquarters, Carlson Jr. moved the school to 2866 N Milwaukee recently. I live in the same area and started training there when I moved to Chicago in December. I can't say enough good things about Junior and the other instructors and everyone that trains there, it's a great environment and I couldn't be happier with my training there.
TTT for junior and the Carlson Gracie Team! Phone Post
3/14/13 5:12 PM
Phong Hong Kooey

I am looking for strictly BJJ. Maybe some Judo. No MMA or Thai Boxing. Aaronlapoi, what can you tell me about Pedro Vianna? I viewed a class at Pete The Greeks today. While I thought it was well run, unfortunately his class schedule is not conducive with my work schedule and I would only be able to make 2 classes per week. I appreciate everyone's solid responses.

Thanks,

PHK
3/14/13 5:35 PM
judoinmotion
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you are looking for BJJ and Judo, you must come and try out the classes at Carlson Gracie Chicago. The Judo classes are right after the Jiu-jitsu on Tuesdays and Thursdays nights and it has a great discount price for everyone who is currently training in JiuJitsu. The judo class is competition oriented for both judo and Bjj.
3/14/13 5:39 PM
matt murdock
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Valko BJJ has, I think, the most classes at the cheapest prices. Plus, we're right by the brown line and we have a huge parking lot and showers. We usually have a lot of higher belts in class and we teach a lot of take downs. And, this is important (especially in Chicago), no drama, politics or ego.

There's tons of good BJJ in Chicago, we're practically like Rio de Janeiro with a school every couple miles. I suggest you take a free class at as many of the places as possible.
3/14/13 6:45 PM
ams
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pedro Vianna is a good teacher Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.