UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Question about the gauntlet.

3/14/13 1:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
checkuroil
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't want to hijack Sean Roberts thread. But IMO the gauntlet is stupid in and of itself. It also seems kinda gay (grown me whipping a shirtless guy for fun). Not to mention the awkward race implications. ( I was at a promotion of a black guy and didn't feel it all that appropriate whipping him). As well, it seems the white belts get to let their inner bully out and put extra on it.

What are ur thoughtS Phone Post
3/14/13 1:10 PM
Blkbelt39
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer the flip or choke compared to this. Just my opinion. I've only had one of my students want to run it Phone Post
3/14/13 1:13 PM
7 Dust
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We only do it for B-Days. Belts you get thrown by Higher Belts.
3/14/13 1:14 PM
checkuroil
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot to add "haven't these guys gone through enough pain to get to the next rank. Why slap them with shit, especially guys getting their brown or black belts?" Phone Post
3/14/13 1:18 PM
X_Rated
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer the quiet promotion or getting thrown by HIGHER belts

3/14/13 1:23 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fan of the gauntlet. We do them for blue, purple and brown.

It' only gay if you try to run it in assless chaps.

It's only racist if you repeatedly yell "Your name is Toby!" at the blacks.
3/14/13 1:27 PM
checkuroil

Watching a blue belt whip a guy getting his black belt seemed absurd Phone Post
3/14/13 1:28 PM
quidditch
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ran the gauntlet when I got my blue belt but haven't since. I suggested an alternative, roll with everyone present, highest ranks first, 3min rds, and it caught on. By the time I got to the white belts, I was wishing that I'd run the gauntlet instead.
3/14/13 1:41 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil -  Watching a blue belt whip a guy getting his black belt seemed absurd Phone Post

why?
3/14/13 1:57 PM
Tango_MF
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I wrestled as a kid, kids that were deemed in need of punishment were made to run the gauntlet, not with belts but other stuff like pads lying around the room. I never had to run it, and I didn't participate. It was a really negative and kinda fucked up thing.

The gauntlet is like a riot - it lets you see people's true nature when they are anonymized - and I don't like what I see.
3/14/13 2:28 PM
jasculs
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guaranteed Grappling Improvement!, Click Here For More!
When we do promotions the person who guy promoted has to roll with everyone in the class from lowest rank to highest rank...

It's probably about 30 seconds per person but they are definitely really tired after...usually Phone Post
3/14/13 2:30 PM
SC7
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It also screams "We don't want women in class." Phone Post
3/14/13 2:38 PM
checkuroil

vegard -
checkuroil -  Watching a blue belt whip a guy getting his black belt seemed absurd Phone Post

why?
Who are they to be part of an induction ceremony for someone with higher rank. It's like having a guy who is getting his doctorate being handed his diploma by a guy with only a high school degree Phone Post
3/14/13 2:39 PM
checkuroil

jasculs - When we do promotions the person who guy promoted has to roll with everyone in the class from lowest rank to highest rank...

It's probably about 30 seconds per person but they are definitely really tired after...usually Phone Post
I like this. Phone Post
3/14/13 2:50 PM
checkuroil

TheBlackFist - there is no race implication, you made that up
It was being videotaped. I was uncomfortable with a tape of me whipping a black person on the web. Phone Post
3/14/13 2:54 PM
Jweinberg
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil -
vegard -

why?
Who are they to be part of an induction ceremony for someone with higher rank. It's like having a guy who is getting his doctorate being handed his diploma by a guy with only a high school degree Phone Post
What's really bothering you my son? It seems whatever it is- it has manifested into this waste of words and guided you into a dark place of unnecessary over analyzation - Phone Post
3/14/13 3:33 PM
checkuroil

WhoRunsBarterTown -
checkuroil - 
TheBlackFist - there is no race implication, you made that up
It was being videotaped. I was uncomfortable with a tape of me whipping a black person on the web. Phone Post

You are ridiculous
Everything can be taken out of context one day. Phone Post
3/14/13 3:40 PM
checkuroil

Jweinberg -
checkuroil -
vegard -

why?
What's really bothering you my son? It seems whatever it is- it has manifested into this waste of words and guided you into a dark place of unnecessary over analyzation - Phone Post
I think it's a forum for bullies to act out and encourages a gross part of humanity.

Why not celebrate and pat the guy on the back instead of punch them. Are we that archaic that we hit people to show appreciation Phone Post
3/14/13 3:43 PM
CoreNobody
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've only participated in one gauntlet ,guy getting his blue.No gi,shorts,no shirt.
I felt kinda weird about it being a white belt,I just lightly smacked him on his back.
Guys beat the shit out of him with belts,elastic bands,and fuckin jump ropes ...Fuck that!

I've only seen one BB given out.Just presented at a social event we were all at.
That was very cool. Phone Post
3/14/13 3:47 PM
plasticonoband
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ElPulpo - Fan of the gauntlet. We do them for blue, purple and brown.

It' only gay if you try to run it in assless chaps.

It's only racist if you repeatedly yell "Your name is Toby!" at the blacks.
Lol!!!! Phone Post
3/14/13 4:22 PM
GrahamJ

I like the gauntlet - within reason, of course.
Keep the jacket on, and walk the line; only hit the back (someone has lost an eye, before); everyone's laughing - including the guy getting whipped.
And after you, shake hands, hug, and wish them congratulations.

I guess I see it as a symbolic way of telling the promotee not to get to big for their boots...

Plus: the pain shouldn't be too much - you train BJJ for God's sake.

The instructor/students obviously have to make sure the person isn't made to feel uncomfortable, or like they're being bullied.
3/14/13 4:52 PM
hedgefunder

I got my blue from Renzo years ago. I was in somebody's closed guard during rolling time and the guy just suddenly clamped down and held me down tight....all of the sudden, I got smacked across the back with a belt a few times. the guy let go of me and I jumped up ready to smack whoever whipped me(I was utterly clueless as to what was going on). Turned around and there was Renzo with his arms open wide and a blue belt in his hand. He gave me a hug and tied the belt on me. Everybody in class lined up and shook my hand and congratulated me....that was it.

That was in 2001 and I remember it like it was yesterday. One of the absolute highlights of my bjj experiences.
3/14/13 5:13 PM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gauntlets are pretty fucking stupid. It's just fratboy/pack mentality crap that some love as they love rituals for group mentality shit. Never went through one for blue and purple but I will have to for brown. Black belts at my school never go through it.
3/14/13 5:16 PM
checkuroil

WhoRunsBarterTown - You are a strange guy with some deep emotional hangups.

Bullied? Come on. It's fun for everyone. We are all friends and we talk smack to each other when its going on. It's good fun. That you can read crazy strange motivations into it says more about you (or the people you train with) than anything else.

I mean if it reminds you of your uncle touching your inappropriately as a child and triggers some crazy flashbacks then don't do it. Otherwise I think you are reading way too much into a harmless and funny tradition.
Yeah, I'm the weird one for not wanting to whip my shirtless friend in celebration.

Give me a good reason to actually do it. Phone Post
3/14/13 5:18 PM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't make sense to me either.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.