UnderGround Forums

Revgear League BJJGround >> Question about the gauntlet.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/14/13 5:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
checkuroil
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Up not to Phone Post
3/14/13 5:29 PM
Hunter V
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is a hazing ritual and you can't explain it any other way. Now mind you some guys love that sort of shit as once again, its pack mentality type crap. And if they like it then more power to them, but it def is not something I will ever allow if I have a school.
3/14/13 5:38 PM
Tréasach
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My instructor is not a fan of the gauntlet either. We just line up to shake the guys hand after he gets his new belt tied on by our instructor.

3/14/13 5:46 PM
scyman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Count me in as someone who likes it. It's something like a right of passage, and like others said a ritual that can be shared with others that have gone through it and a common bond. I guess it really depends on your training atmosphere, school, and partners. I can see how it's not for everyone. For those that think it's just stupid and serves no purpose, for many people it's actually a positive thing and you should try to at least respect that.
3/14/13 6:04 PM
Jonno

GrahamJ - I like the gauntlet - within reason, of course.
Keep the jacket on, and walk the line; only hit the back (someone has lost an eye, before); everyone's laughing - including the guy getting whipped.
And after you, shake hands, hug, and wish them congratulations.

I guess I see it as a symbolic way of telling the promotee not to get to big for their boots...

Plus: the pain shouldn't be too much - you train BJJ for God's sake.

The instructor/students obviously have to make sure the person isn't made to feel uncomfortable, or like they're being bullied.
Some logical words about how the gauntlet should be done.
IMO the gauntlet is one of those old school traditions that some clubs will stick with and others as people have said will have their own ways to see in belt promotions. Phone Post
3/14/13 6:07 PM
fakezaga
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have done gauntlets and no longer like them.

I can confess that once as a bitter white belt, I hauled off a whupped a guy especially hard b/c I was jealous of his promotion. I feel OK talking about it because the guy is now one of my best friends and I made peace with him about it.

No matter how hard you swing, it doesn't hurt much, but I just think it is pointless hazing. I sincerely doubt that it is an old Brazilian tradition (does Humaita do it? I heard the Rickson academy does not/did not.)

I think it is just about bonding, ritual and groupthink. I don't think it is healthy to do these things mindlessly and I just cannot get my head around it. We have seen where that can lead.

There are other ways to bond and celebrate. Go out to dinner, have a beer, have a decent conversation where you get to know your teammates, whatever.
3/14/13 6:12 PM
Hunter V
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sunderground - 
checkuroil -  I don't want to hijack Sean Roberts thread. But IMO the gauntlet is stupid in and of itself. It also seems kinda gay (grown me whipping a shirtless guy for fun). Not to mention the awkward race implications. ( I was at a promotion of a black guy and didn't feel it all that appropriate whipping him). As well, it seems the white belts get to let their inner bully out and put extra on it.

What are ur thoughtS Phone Post

"Passar no corredor" is a tradition and its one of many things that differentiate BJJ from other martial arts.

You are off the mark and I dislike the gentrification of something that never was supposed to be ghey. When I hear that a school does NOT do it, I wonder. It goes with schools that have stripe "tests" every three months that you pay for.

The only thing I will say about Sean's video is that I wish he had walked it instead of running.

The Gracie Academy in the US and all of the Humaita association never do it. It's def NOT a tradition that all of bjj follows as I know old school guys who even think its idiotic, still to each their own.
3/14/13 6:18 PM
JZilla
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know some GB schools don't so it /legal reasons I think)

My club does it but it's voluntary and you can keep the gi on. Also you walk slowly . No running. Some guys will stop half way and so some push ups or squats to ham it up
Once there and back for blue, twice there and back purple, three times brown. No whipping for black

Re females. I've never seen a female get whipped really. Some of them walk the corridor but they get baby strokes and that's it. Phone Post
3/14/13 6:42 PM
PTM2020
1910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Chris Hauter start that tradition way, way back?  Some sorta marine thing iirc.

3/14/13 6:51 PM
checkuroil
275 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who exactly started this tradition. On Carlson we threw people. On eddies, there was nothing, barra there's nothing. I don't see alliance do it and Gracie academy doesn't. Phone Post
3/14/13 6:51 PM
chitownbjj
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There will always be a few jerks that will use the gauntlet as an occasion to get heavy-handed w the strokes. But these are the same ppl that will roll like an asshole (cranking subs and rolling as if it's the final of the Mundials) so you will know who they are ahead of time anyway.

Definitely safety first and within reasons; however, there won't be much of anything left if you continue to pander to the few instead of the many.

http://youtu.be/zh8u9ljeqYQ Phone Post
3/14/13 6:59 PM
the fuge

CUO is in the right ... it will be a cold day in hell before I let some white people whip me for any reason, let alone for a belt ceremony
3/14/13 7:00 PM
demandango
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gauntlet is lame as fuck. Phone Post
3/14/13 7:09 PM
PTM2020
1910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil -  Who exactly started this tradition. On Carlson we threw people. On eddies, there was nothing, barra there's nothing. I don't see alliance do it and Gracie academy doesn't. Phone Post

I heard from a couple of people it was Hauter.   

One of early BB's at Rigans got it and Rigan just handed it to him.  Chris was like, 'wait a minute, you can't just hand it to him, we gotta do something.'    So then he brought it from his marine days.  Then it happened at pretyy much every belt, and then alot of those guys spread out to other schools.  

From what I understand, they've never done that in Brazil.  Only in America.

I could be wrong, maybe someone else can confirm or correct me.  

For now though, I blame Hauter. lol

3/14/13 7:17 PM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The congratulatory handshake is where it's at. Respectful and honorable. We have family watching these belt promotions, including kids and the elderly, so we try and keep it professional. Please don't whip me with the belt for saying this.
3/14/13 7:22 PM
checkuroil

I knew that macho shoe would be Brazilian Phone Post
3/14/13 7:22 PM
checkuroil

Not be Phone Post
3/14/13 7:28 PM
joemasepoos
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way , my instructor has been doing it before Chris Hauter even heard about BJJ , long ago in Brazil .

For the record I enjoy the gauntlet , both the whipping and the getting whipped , I consider it to be a bit of fun , I've never seen anyone get any injuries or anyone complaining about it . We dont go too hard on the girls and only hit the back .

The only thing gay about the gauntlet is wearing a gi or running . Just my opinion of course , everybody is different .
3/14/13 7:40 PM
shen
1509 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/14/13 7:58 PM
I do it in my kids classes at the Shendokan, but as the only adult, I do all the whipping. --Personally, I love it!

The odd scratched cornea, black eye or busted eardrum is no reason to stop a time-honored tradition.
3/14/13 7:56 PM
xxxxxxxx
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We did in when I trained in Japan about 10 years ago. Phone Post
3/14/13 7:58 PM
checkuroil

Hauters been a black for like fifteen years now Phone Post
3/14/13 9:02 PM
BenJay
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil -  Who exactly started this tradition. On Carlson we threw people. On eddies, there was nothing, barra there's nothing. I don't see alliance do it and Gracie academy doesn't. Phone Post

Alliance does it, never been to an Alliance grading where they haven't.

3/14/13 11:05 PM
Random Hero
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We don't do it for promotions but I've had to do it on my birthday. And to my knowledge I'm the only one who has ever had to at my gym lol. I was killing it in comps and training hard, helping out alot at the gym and other things, so i think it was kind of a "great job, your good shit in my books" kind of thing. It stings but after 30 seconds you forget it even happened. Also the better the friend, the harder they whip you. Haha Phone Post
3/15/13 1:02 AM
misterw
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a bit silly and unnecessary, but anything beyond just getting your belt handed to you with congratulations is unnecessary.

How is getting thrown by upper belts not a form of hazing in the same way? How is having to roll w/ everyone until you are utterly exhausted not a form of hazing in the same way?
3/15/13 1:54 AM
tf1
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My first instructor made us run the gauntlet for stripes. When I got to blue belt, it was the fifth time I had to run. I ran it for purple and expect to run in the future.

It only hurts a little. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.