UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Question about the gauntlet.

3/15/13 1:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
misterw
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a bit silly and unnecessary, but anything beyond just getting your belt handed to you with congratulations is unnecessary.

How is getting thrown by upper belts not a form of hazing in the same way? How is having to roll w/ everyone until you are utterly exhausted not a form of hazing in the same way?
3/15/13 1:54 AM
tf1
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My first instructor made us run the gauntlet for stripes. When I got to blue belt, it was the fifth time I had to run. I ran it for purple and expect to run in the future.

It only hurts a little. Phone Post
3/15/13 2:28 AM
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is clearly hazing. If you like hazing, just admit you like hazing. It is fucking lame as hell though. Phone Post
3/15/13 2:29 AM
demandango
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And don't try to characterise it as a bjj thing. Not everyone does it, as has been explained. Phone Post
3/15/13 9:12 AM
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil - 
Jweinberg -
checkuroil -
vegard -
checkuroil -  Watching a blue belt whip a guy getting his black belt seemed absurd Phone Post

why?
Who are they to be part of an induction ceremony for someone with higher rank. It's like having a guy who is getting his doctorate being handed his diploma by a guy with only a high school degree Phone Post
What's really bothering you my son? It seems whatever it is- it has manifested into this waste of words and guided you into a dark place of unnecessary over analyzation - Phone Post
I think it's a forum for bullies to act out and encourages a gross part of humanity.

Why not celebrate and pat the guy on the back instead of punch them. Are we that archaic that we hit people to show appreciation Phone Post

how the times have changed,you a good man cuo

3/15/13 9:24 AM
forumnewb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

demandango -  It is clearly hazing. If you like hazing, just admit you like hazing. It is fucking lame as hell though. Phone Post

3/15/13 9:32 AM
deepu
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a type of hazing but guys, exaggerate a little why don't you. It does not hurt that bad (keep a rash guard on), and you don't whip the face. As for racial connotations when whipping a black guy, dude, that's just you thinking that.
3/15/13 12:28 PM
,DBK,
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm part of the "think it's good fun and support it but don't think anyone lower ranking than you should participate" camp. Maybe it's from being in the military. I know that I was severely belt-whipped on my birthday at the gym and just laughed the whole time, aside from the occasional "Ow, you (expletive deleted!)"
3/15/13 12:45 PM
Ozzimandias
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty stupid.  We have never done it at Machado dallas.

3/15/13 5:58 PM
Howard Kinnard
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am in the "for" camp.

As for the 55 year old hobby practitioner; they would get whipped with the same level of intensity I would roll with them - probably on a similar level to the whipping my 7 year old daughter got.

People make sure they are going to be there if they know someone is going to move up a belt - not because they want to whip the shit out of them, but because they want to be part of the whole thing.

White belts are part of the team too - why shouldn't they be allowed to join in the whipping? It gives the higher belts the opportunity to point out that the white belts are even shit at whipping :-)

It's a bit if fun - I'd be disappointed if it didn't happen. Phone Post
3/15/13 6:13 PM
checkuroil
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whites haven't earned the right to haze anyone Phone Post
3/15/13 6:44 PM
Howard Kinnard
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When have people earned the right?
If they guys have been there a while, they have been paying their dues. It's good natured pay back time for them.
Really new guys are probably too timid too unsure of everything hard anyway, especially against guys who dominate them. Phone Post
3/15/13 6:46 PM
Howard Kinnard

^^...too unsure of themselves to whip really hard anyway, especially..... Phone Post
3/15/13 6:48 PM
Howard Kinnard

^^...too unsure of themselves to whip really hard anyway, especially..... Phone Post
3/15/13 6:48 PM
Howard Kinnard

3/15/13 6:50 PM
Howard Kinnard

3/15/13 11:38 PM
quality

checkuroil - 
Jweinberg -
checkuroil -
vegard -
checkuroil -  Watching a blue belt whip a guy getting his black belt seemed absurd Phone Post

why?
Who are they to be part of an induction ceremony for someone with higher rank. It's like having a guy who is getting his doctorate being handed his diploma by a guy with only a high school degree Phone Post
What's really bothering you my son? It seems whatever it is- it has manifested into this waste of words and guided you into a dark place of unnecessary over analyzation - Phone Post
I think it's a forum for bullies to act out and encourages a gross part of humanity.

Why not celebrate and pat the guy on the back instead of punch them. Are we that archaic that we hit people to show appreciation Phone Post

It's a sport where you choke people and twist limbs in unnatural ways, what do you expect?

At my school we don't do it. I could care less. As long as everyone else is getting whipped why not?

The whipping a black guy comment is dumb. Everyone gets a whipping regardless of race, it's equal rights. Now if you whipped the black guy extra hard that would be fucked up, but if not, who cares?
3/15/13 11:55 PM
mishto chuckles

checkuroil - Whites haven't earned the right to haze anyone Phone Post
Man you are ridiculous... Phone Post
3/15/13 11:56 PM
mishto chuckles

For the guys that don't like the gauntlet... Have you ever been to one... It's fun as hell, everyone is laughing and having fun even the guy getting whipped.... Don't make it more serious than it is Phone Post
3/16/13 1:57 AM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My teacher also does a takedown/throw when he promotes people.
At the last promotion, he hip tossed everyone.

Sadly, my break falls suck, and I have actually asked a judo friend to help me practice my break falls from a hip toss, just in case I ever get promoted.

I was thinking it would suck so hard to get promoted, and then get hurt in front of 200+ people because I didnt know how to fall properly.
3/16/13 10:52 AM
Hunter V
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mishto chuckles -  For the guys that don't like the gauntlet... Have you ever been to one... It's fun as hell, everyone is laughing and having fun even the guy getting whipped.... Don't make it more serious than it is Phone Post

Been to more than a few, still don't like it.
3/16/13 11:14 AM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the gauntlet. When and if I get promoted to black belt -- next up for me -- I'll ask to run the gauntlet. I think it's a lot of fun and a good bonding experience.

For the most part, I've found that white belts and blue belts won't hit the higher belts very hard. They're scared.

I've taken guys aside in the past and told them if they didn't hit me hard that I would make them sorry for it on the mat.

I think it's a way for everyone to feel equal and the same.

White belts almost never get to beat a higher belt on the mat. It's lose, lose, lose.

I like to think that the gauntlet helps to show them that they are equals, we are all the same and everyone - from the lowliest white belt to the black belt -- is part of the group.

I think by just showing up and training jiu jitsu, that you have "earned" your spot.
3/16/13 11:57 AM
Herbish1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hedgefunder - I got my blue from Renzo years ago. I was in somebody's closed guard during rolling time and the guy just suddenly clamped down and held me down tight....all of the sudden, I got smacked across the back with a belt a few times. the guy let go of me and I jumped up ready to smack whoever whipped me(I was utterly clueless as to what was going on). Turned around and there was Renzo with his arms open wide and a blue belt in his hand. He gave me a hug and tied the belt on me. Everybody in class lined up and shook my hand and congratulated me....that was it.

That was in 2001 and I remember it like it was yesterday. One of the absolute highlights of my bjj experiences.

This is how belt promotions are done at my school too. My instructor is a Renzo BB, so he's keeping that tradition going.
3/16/13 12:55 PM
temp226208
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blue, please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDabLLbjHmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8u9ljeqYQ
3/16/13 4:07 PM
mishto chuckles

Hunter V -
mishto chuckles -  For the guys that don't like the gauntlet... Have you ever been to one... It's fun as hell, everyone is laughing and having fun even the guy getting whipped.... Don't make it more serious than it is Phone Post

Been to more than a few, still don't like it.
Is this grumpy cat? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.