UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Question about the gauntlet.

3/16/13 6:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hunter V
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
3/16/13 6:37 PM
drx604
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not a problem in Canada since we don't have many black people....

We do this for bdays and we
do the throws for belt promos Phone Post
3/16/13 6:50 PM
green_machine
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can see what CUO is saying about some random white or blue belt pelting a higher belt on promotion day. If its just the guys at my gym that I train with day in day out I would have no problem with it. But our gym does our promotions at our affiliation HQ twice per year along with the other affiliates. We don't do the gauntlet, but I wouldn't like the idea of some random white belt that I've never trained with or met winding up and unloading on my back. Phone Post
3/16/13 7:08 PM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a fan either I've participated twice and mostly because I didn't want to be "that guy".
3/16/13 7:11 PM
Judo Scott
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My thing with it is being from the Navy I have seen how stuff like that can get out of control after a few generations of it.
3/16/13 7:15 PM
mishto chuckles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

green_machine - I can see what CUO is saying about some random white or blue belt pelting a higher belt on promotion day. If its just the guys at my gym that I train with day in day out I would have no problem with it. But our gym does our promotions at our affiliation HQ twice per year along with the other affiliates. We don't do the gauntlet, but I wouldn't like the idea of some random white belt that I've never trained with or met winding up and unloading on my back. Phone Post
I hope that when I get to be a black belt I don't take myself so seriously that I look down on white belts and get offended that they are having fun by shipping on me Phone Post
3/16/13 7:15 PM
mishto chuckles

Whipping Phone Post
3/16/13 7:56 PM
shen
631 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

green_machine -  I can see what CUO is saying about some random white or blue belt pelting a higher belt on promotion day. If its just the guys at my gym that I train with day in day out I would have no problem with it. But our gym does our promotions at our affiliation HQ twice per year along with the other affiliates. We don't do the gauntlet, but I wouldn't like the idea of some random white belt that I've never trained with or met winding up and unloading on my back. Phone Post

I agree with you & CUO, that it violates the time-honored principals of any rite-of-passage to have lower-ranked people hit higher-ranked people.

The idea behind any kind of hazing is always that those already "experienced" or "indoctrinated" are the ones to welcome the noobs to their new rank/class/strata whatever.

Sounds like some BJJ teachers need to read some Joseph Campbell or something.
3/16/13 7:57 PM
GrahamJ

temp226208 - Blue, please:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDabLLbjHmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8u9ljeqYQ

There it is.
I saw that first clip ages ago, and was looking for it; crazy.
It's like a gang 'jumping in' initiation ceremony - but even worse.
3/16/13 9:21 PM
mishto chuckles

shen - 
green_machine -  I can see what CUO is saying about some random white or blue belt pelting a higher belt on promotion day. If its just the guys at my gym that I train with day in day out I would have no problem with it. But our gym does our promotions at our affiliation HQ twice per year along with the other affiliates. We don't do the gauntlet, but I wouldn't like the idea of some random white belt that I've never trained with or met winding up and unloading on my back. Phone Post

I agree with you & CUO, that it violates the time-honored principals of any rite-of-passage to have lower-ranked people hit higher-ranked people.

The idea behind any kind of hazing is always that those already "experienced" or "indoctrinated" are the ones to welcome the noobs to their new rank/class/strata whatever.

Sounds like some BJJ teachers need to read some Joseph Campbell or something.

I think you are taking it all way too seriously....its fun, at least the ones ive been to....I have no problem with a lower belt smacking me especially if they are a friend and training partner....all in good fun

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.