UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Gracie Open Guard for Street (not sport)

3/14/13 3:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From looking at Gracie University curriculum online, I can see that they teach both "street" guards and "sport" guards. For example, they specifically refer to butterfly and spider as sport-specific guards.

I'm curious: what does the Gracie Academy teach as their basic open guard for self-defense purposes? I assume it would be something that works both gi and no gi, etc.

Thanks!
3/14/13 7:18 PM
krept
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I may be wrong but I believe the core revolves around their "punch block series" that has 4 or 5 phases. Phase 1 is closed IIRC and then it opens up. Part of the Combatives. Good info based on what I have seen. Phone Post
3/14/13 8:15 PM
markus
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guard 1.5
3/14/13 8:16 PM
PrisonMattressPuncher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

krept, correct. Their core guard for street revolves around the old vale tudo guard techniques which they have madeand sequenced into the punch block series. It is definitely not sport applicable,but deals with a striking opponent.

3/14/13 8:37 PM
The Mat Pimp
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For RGJJ: Upkicks to the grill and throat, axe kicks to kidneys, base of the skull and neck, knees to the orbitals, uppercut heels to the chin, etc. If a person puts your back to the ground in a fight, make them pay. The fastest submission is a good punt to the chin.
3/14/13 9:35 PM
Brian McLaughlin
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feet on hips with the shins controlling the inside of the biceps, hands cupping the triceps/elbow. Control the distance and the inside and you won't get hit Phone Post
3/14/13 9:47 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty familar with what SBG has taught v. punches: feet on their hips, elevate your hips to create distance, capture arms, shins in biceps.

The "punch block series" sounds pretty similar.
3/15/13 11:07 PM
X_Rated
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's also a de la riva type guard where you use one hook to keep yourself turning with a circling opponent with the other foot on the hip. Phone Post
3/16/13 6:20 AM
ams
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pretty familar with what SBG has taught v. punches: feet on their hips, elevate your hips to create distance, capture arms, shins in biceps.

I think it is more or less the same Phone Post
3/16/13 4:39 PM
hiptosser

X_Rated -  There's also a de la riva type guard where you use one hook to keep yourself turning with a circling opponent with the other foot on the hip. Phone Post

De La Rua guard !
3/16/13 4:47 PM
PrisonMattressPuncher

hiptosser - 
X_Rated -  There's also a de la riva type guard where you use one hook to keep yourself turning with a circling opponent with the other foot on the hip. Phone Post

De La Rua guard !

What you did there, I see it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.