UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Will dead lifts help my squat?

3/14/13 3:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lukinho
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This may be a dumb question, but any info is appreciated. Ive recently been focusing on my squat and making some good, slow gains. In the past, I have not focused on the dead lift. Will developing my dead lift help me improve my squat? Also, please feel free to advise on any other exercises that will help with gains in my squat. Thanks in advance for the info. Phone Post
3/14/13 6:59 PM
6mildollarman
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obvious answer: squat more to get better and go bigger in squats.

But at far as deadlifts go, I've noticed decent gains with my squat when I started deadlifting. It made my back my back much stronger and therefore able to better handle heavier loads on my upper back during squats. It also helped overall stability and cure my case of the "jiggles"during heavy squats by strengthening my posterior chain and spinae erectors.

Deadlifts helped fixed my hamstring to quad strength ratio (finally corrected this muscular imbalance).

The two go hand in hand IMO. Phone Post
3/14/13 8:17 PM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes

/ Phone Post
3/15/13 8:17 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course. Training hard on your deadlift will help your squats and training your squat will also help your deadlift. For other accessory exercises to help your squat I'd recommend Good Mornings, Front squats, box squats, hip belt squats, pause squats, bottom up squats, band squats, reverse band squats, squats, squats, squats......you just need to SQUAT MORE!!!
3/15/13 11:59 AM
Lukinho
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you for the responses and info! Phone Post
3/15/13 5:27 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/15/13 5:30 PM
Dead Lifts
Heavy Sled Pulls
Olympic Squats
Wide Stance Squats
Low Squats
Dead Stop Squats
Pause Squats
Box Squats
Chain/Band Squats*
Reverse Band Squats*
Bulgarian Squats
1/2 & 1/4 Squats
High Box Squats
Lunges
Step-Ups
Zercher Squat
Walkouts
Rack Pulls
Pistols
Hack Squats
GHR's
Reverse Hyperextensions
Cable/Band Pull-Throughs
Leg Presses/Shuttle Presses
Good Mornings
Calf Raises
Abdominal Exercises
Jump Squats
Depth Jumps w/Barbell
Bounds
Tuck Jumps
3/28/13 6:12 AM
OiKing

I have found the opposite to be true. Getting my squat numbers up helps my deadlift (somewhat) but raising my deadlift has never really helped my squat. Although nothing helps raise my deadlifts like good mornings (although they also do absolutely nothing to help raise my squats).

But I have always struggled with my squat. For the longest time I would kind of fall forward and have to good morning the weight up (check out Layne Nortons heavy squats on youtube to see what I mean). So deadlifts may well help others in ways they didn't help my squat.
3/28/13 10:00 AM
AdrianK
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats odd I find Good Mornings the best accessory for my squats. Guess we all respond differently
4/24/13 5:45 PM
supersaiyan

Edited: 04/24/13 5:46 PM
Lukinho - 

This may be a dumb question, but any info is appreciated. Ive recently been focusing on my squat and making some good, slow gains. In the past, I have not focused on the dead lift. Will developing my dead lift help me improve my squat? Also, please feel free to advise on any other exercises that will help with gains in my squat. Thanks in advance for the info. Phone Post

not such thing as a dumb question here bro..i can advocate that deads n squats go hand n hand for most folks as for myself.

i cant really ascertain if it helped my squats but i would say perhaps its possible considering i can and have pulled more with deads than squats.. never really did anything more on the squats than than 400+ lbs for squats...didnt have a need to do more than that considering i did 5x5 with it.

the deads i was a lil more lucid with and would do over 500+ easily ..plus it was less risky compared to the squat.
4/24/13 5:48 PM
supersaiyan

like 6mildollarman mentioned...i do believe the deads help the stabilizer muscles and core areas like abs n hips and back areas tho
4/25/13 3:12 PM
CMX
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My deads are much higher than my squat numbers and even tho it keeps going up, my squat has completely stalled Phone Post
4/25/13 6:30 PM
AdrianK

I find when one or the other stalls out it's good to leave it alone for awhile. Replace it with similar exercise or cycle through varying similar exercises before coming back to it. Like for deadlift, stop deadlifting from the floor with Olympic bar for a few weeks. One week hit some heavy rack pulls, the next some deficit pulls, the next use a trapbar, the next use a thick bar. Then when I go back I always have something more and set some type of PR.

For squats do few weeks the same way, switch to front squat, then hip belt squat, heavy leg press, high end partials, bottom up squats. Same thing happens you come back and blast a PR. The hip belt and leg press really help spare your back as they pretty much remove it from the lift all together allowing you more time recover the back while still strengthening your legs.

Not that I'm advocating dropping regular squats all the time but sometimes you have allow yourself that flexibility so you can focus more attention on other lifts. It's great to be committed to the big movements like powerlifts and overhead pressing but you can't always just rigidly stick to them over and over week after week especially as the weights rise and you become more advanced.

Varying your rep schemes and weights week to week will also help a great deal. My progress really took off after being pretty stalled when I stopped trying to go heavy all the time and always trying to add weight to my max lifts. I still go for PR's all the time but I spend a lot more time going for rep records rather than max effort records. Remember that is rep sets that "Develop" your strength and 1RM that "Display" your strength. The Cube Method Ebook has a great program for cycling through different rep schemes and alternating between max effort dynamic effort on all your lifts at different times. It worth checking out if you haven't already.

A question that came mind when reading about some of you guys who are struggling with your squat is Where are you squatting? Are you inside a good solid rack with the rails set at the right height? And have you bailed out on some heavy attempts? My squat really started taking off when I bought my power rack and after I got used to using it and trusting it after bailing out on some big lifts. When you have that complete confidence and can be fearless you will push the limits and see what your really made of in this lift. It's amazing how much we hold back when we don't have that total confidence. I'm sure most of you probably do squat in a rack but in case you weren't that was certainly the answer for me.
4/29/13 7:25 PM
TwoGuysOneCup
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THE REAL QUESTION IS... will deadlifts make my ass big like squats will?
4/29/13 8:35 PM
BazUK
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Deadlifts will improve your squats as they are working the antagonistic muscles in the legs and building massive strength in you post. chain.

Try adding farmers walks and heavy sandbag/keg carries as well. Will work well for improving both squats and deads.

Baz
5/1/13 1:48 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BazUK - Deadlifts will improve your squats as they are working the antagonistic muscles in the legs and building massive strength in you post. chain.

Try adding farmers walks and heavy sandbag/keg carries as well. Will work well for improving both squats and deads.

Baz

Squats and deads don't work antagonistic muscles, they work exactly the same muscles but simply change where the emphasis is placed.
5/1/13 8:58 AM
banco

OiKing - I have found the opposite to be true. Getting my squat numbers up helps my deadlift (somewhat) but raising my deadlift has never really helped my squat. Although nothing helps raise my deadlifts like good mornings (although they also do absolutely nothing to help raise my squats).

But I have always struggled with my squat. For the longest time I would kind of fall forward and have to good morning the weight up (check out Layne Nortons heavy squats on youtube to see what I mean). So deadlifts may well help others in ways they didn't help my squat.

I've the same experience with squatting translating to heavier deadlifts but not the other way around.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.