UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Let's talk about CHAD OWENs fighting...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/23/13 4:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wopyojah
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i miss the old days!! I still claim it was dana whites bald headed ass that killed Hawaii mma
3/26/13 3:39 AM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I loved the olden days of mma. Loved it. My wife was my girlfriend back then and man was she ever cool about my nightlife. I used to party and bbq before and go happy place after the mma events. I used to train with the fighters at top secret Gracie Waikiki before there was a Gracie Waikiki just because they stayed at the Waikiki Sand Villa.

Anyway, I hope Chad does well. I'm too old and live to far to do any partying before or after it but will watch it.

As to what killed Hawaii mma. My view is two things.

One is the fights in Hawaii got ghetto and expensive with bad match ups and entirely late ending events. I swear one time, the fights ended and the lights came on and at least half the remaining crowd was sleeping. Must've been close to midnight when it ended and it started at 3:30 p.m or something.

Two, when Hawaii tried to legitimize mma and get it regulated, it became a cash cow for the legislature and they absolutely killed it with taxes and fees. Should have just left it illegal and unregulated but I understand the reasons.

I am really glad I went to every mma event I could afford back in the day because there were some great fights and promotions. Both TJ and BJ held great events, exciting fights.
3/26/13 3:51 AM
falsecrack
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3.  Bj penn decided to fight some of the best guys at the weightclass above his natural weight

3/26/13 6:04 AM
FCTV808
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/26/13 6:04 AM

pretty much jjmtg nailed it on the head.  not sure how to unghetto it. game over.

3/26/13 12:26 PM
fnunderful
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How to unghetto? No girlfriends, family members or whore groupies. As a matter of fact the only women allowed should be paid professionals like the ones good ole TJ told us about. They can treat it like the hooligan problem in european soccer. Anyone who acts a fool gets banned from MMA events everywhere for LIFE! If you are with a group and one person gets tossed, you all get tossed (but only the instigator gets banned). This will allow for self regulation and perhaps cover the mouth of your douche bag friend who can't stop himself from screaming "stand em up ref".
3/26/13 4:07 PM
FCTV808
343 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you will then have an event of 1.

3/26/13 5:57 PM
JIMMYNAKS
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I remember just going to Superbrawls and ROTR events and being a little bit of a fight snob, then thinking I'd give one of the smaller Kick it & Dick it shows a chance I went.

As soon as I heard a guy yell to the fighter "Kick him in the surf shorts!" I wanted to leave.
3/26/13 9:28 PM
ChinoV
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Small venues is where the new generation get their experience, but I hear you guys, haha. I moved here in 2006, I've been to all the Blaisdell events since I got here (missed one or two due to work). I looked forward to moving here cause Hawaii was a mecca for MMA. I knew about Superbrawl/Icon, ROTR, and was looking forward to seeing it all live.

But Jjmtg nailed it. But they got some good shows still, at least I think so. Destiny & X-1 do a great job, but some of the other shows can give MMA a bad wrap here in Hawaii. Drunk uncles, loud tittas, douchbag entourages, etc. It's not a place I would want to take my family, even if I'm there to support a friend.

But overall I'll support the local fighters and most local shows. The smaller shows is where everyone gets their experience, without them it would be impossible to grow MMA here. Hawaii MMA is benefiting now, we have guys fighting in the UFC, Guam, Phillippines, mainland, and other places.
3/28/13 12:22 AM
JIMMYNAKS
409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well put. The smaller shows give them the experience needed to move up to the big shows. Sadly, there's no "Big Shows" anymore in the way SuperBrawl / ICON Sports or ROTR was.

You know what also kills local MMA? Certain people's mindset.

If you had asked Niko Vitale back in the day what he did for a living, he'd say construction. Egan Inoue, Pharmacuticals or whatever he was doing at the time. Etc.....

Now days you ask these kids what their job is and they tell you "I stay one MMA Fightah."

My reply?

"so.... Unemployed then?"

The joke is lost on them. Phone Post
3/28/13 4:01 AM
FCTV808

future meth head award.

3/28/13 9:50 PM
fake808sports
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder if CO is just doing a "favor" for someone. His promotion helps (at least a little). In fact I just might end up going.

Those SB/Icon Sport days were sure good.
3/28/13 10:11 PM
FCTV808

welcome to the HG fake808sports!

3/29/13 2:31 AM
fake808sports

Thanks. I dont want to be a lurker any more.

That said, im probably gonna go to this event, my first since Pro Elite.
3/29/13 3:40 AM
JIMMYNAKS

fake808sports - Thanks. I dont want to be a lurker any more.

That said, im probably gonna go to this event, my first since Pro Elite.
Good contributions. Welcome.

I forgot to mention Pro Elite. Those were some good shows I was fortunate enough to attend.

I hope they bring another show out here in 2013. Phone Post
3/29/13 3:59 AM
fake808sports

What ever happened to Galaxy MMA? My company sponsored them while they were around. I thought they had a tournament but they never finished it up.

Oh wait, I just thread crapped and went off topic. my bad.
3/29/13 4:50 AM
FCTV808

who was the promoter of galaxy? i forget

4/6/13 6:44 PM
hackett
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Me too. Hey, this show is tonight. Anyone going?

Aside... I'm looking re-open the blog as JNAK suggests, do a look back at a fight and try and tell the story around it. TBT for the TRT set... start with an old ROTR

4/6/13 9:07 PM
FCTV808

there are some old school mma rumblings i'm hearing back in hawaii...

4/7/13 3:07 AM
bigjabroni
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have results from these fights, specifically the Owens fight?
4/7/13 3:32 AM
JIMMYNAKS

False Boner? WTF?
4/7/13 3:33 AM
JIMMYNAKS

hackett - 

Me too. Hey, this show is tonight. Anyone going?

Aside... I'm looking re-open the blog as JNAK suggests, do a look back at a fight and try and tell the story around it. TBT for the TRT set... start with an old ROTR

*Subscribed
4/7/13 4:02 AM
JIMMYNAKS

Chad Owens wins by decision according to my friend
4/7/13 12:38 PM
FCTV808

good job chad!

now hang up the gloves and get back to FOOTBALL so my dad doesn't have another heart attack!

4/7/13 11:03 PM
ChinoV
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1 MMA fight then retire? Does that officially qualify him as a "retired Pro MMA Fighter?" What do you guys think? No disrespect to Chad or his opponent, but Fighting 1 fight against another newbie doesnt really qualify him as a "Pro MMA Fighter" in my books, yet.

Chad is a natural athlete, & that gives him a great edge over most guys. I'd Like to see some more him fighting in MMA. Anybody got the video?
4/8/13 1:27 AM
fnunderful
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's got one more fight than I have and one more win as well. I'm not sure if he cares to be called a retired anything. Perhaps he just wanted to give it a shot while he had the opportunity. I hear he's a pretty big deal in the Canadian League. Perhaps could even make it back to the NFL? Took a lot of guts to risk a career to take a shot at fighting just because you wanted to see if you could win.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.