UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Riddle was cut because he's a moron

3/15/13 9:17 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1032 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former UFC fighter Matt Riddle has made no secret of his use of marijuana, and holds a medical marijuana card issue by the state of Nevada.

However, regardless of state laws on the legality of marijuana, you cannot have it in your system when you compete in mixed martial arts, which is regulated in North America by state, provincial, tribal, or municipal government agencies. The same thing is true of course of alcohol - alcohol is legal, but you can't fight with alcohol in your system.

Riddle tested positive for marijuana at UFC 149 in 2012.

In an interview after the first positive test, Riddle discussed his use of marijuana, and offered some unfortunate remarks, that were presumably intended to be in jest.

"It makes me happy," said Riddle. "Honestly, it probably keeps me from beating my three kids because they’re always screaming and crying at me and my wife’s crazy and you know what life’s like,."

When he tested positive for marijuana a second time following UFC on Fuel 7, he was released by the company.

Rather than apologize, Riddle said he probably didn't want to come back.

"What I see happening is, a year or two from now the UFC calls me back after I've won probably like five or six fights, hopefully," said Riddle. "And I'll probably, at the time, say, ‘No.'"

UFC president Dana White was asked about Riddle at the UFC 158 pre-fight press conference media scrum, and was not impressed.

"Everybody's going to have an excuse of why they were cut," said White. "Matt Riddle did an interview before that fight where he said 'I smoke weed so that I don't beat my children' then he tests positive for it. He's a f---ing moron."

"That's why he's not here. He's cut because he's a moron."

White was blunt about Riddle's projection that he will probably say 'no' when asked back.

"I'll make it real easy for him," said White. "We just won't ask him."

What do you think UG? Is Riddle a victim of outdated laws? Too honest? Or is Dana right?

3/15/13 9:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PermitMeFisticuffsBrother
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ahahahahaha DFW tore him a new one.

shame because he was always ready for a scrap.
3/15/13 9:21 AM
BigWilliam
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going with Dana on this one.
3/15/13 9:22 AM
sockeye
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The weed is keeping Riddle from beating up Dana"

Lol I keed, both sides have their points but in this case it's only Dana's that matter since he's essentially in control Phone Post
3/15/13 9:24 AM
Legendash
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PermitMeFisticuffsBrother - ahahahahaha DFW tore him a new one.

He wasn't remotely up for a scrap with Che Mills in his last fight.
3/15/13 9:25 AM
bekk46
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am an occasional pot user, and totally disagree with weed being demonized as a hell drug and being illegal.

That said, riddle IS a moron, and I agree 100% with what Dana said Phone Post
3/15/13 9:27 AM
ryanJ
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care if people smoke weed and I don't think it is performance enhancing...but when you have a job, with rules breaking the rules is not a great idea and flaunting the fact that you are breaking the rules is a worse idea. 

If @ my job they say "be in by 8:00 AM everyday" and even though my performance is not at all impacted if I show up @ 8:15 and stay a little late instead...if I get caught coming in late a couple of times, I will probably have consequences. 

If I go around the office saying something like "Yeah, I come in late because I am at home railing my wife..." I am going to probably have even worse consequences. 

If I do all that AND I am not one of the top producers in my company...I am probably going to get fired, in part for being late and in part for just being dumb. 

sawdusk
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

telling you, like him or hate him, dana is as entertaining as some of the fights...
Trojan Rubber Guard
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingofBJJ - So the UFC simply cuts people for being morons, not because they suck as a fighter?
Apparently not all the time considering Nick Diaz is still in a title fight as of this post Phone Post
3/15/13 9:33 AM
11the11s

Saying you'd beat your kids is pretty bad... not quite sure how all the matt riddle dickriders don't understand that...
3/15/13 9:37 AM
Rabid Bunyip
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Weed keeps me from feeding my kids"

3/15/13 9:38 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When will Dana cut himself for being a moron?
3/15/13 9:40 AM
Periodik

Jumbo Reverse Shrimp - When will Dana cut himself for being a moron?

Was your name already taken Matt Riddle?
3/15/13 9:41 AM
Pride Wanderlei

ryanJ -

I don't care if people smoke weed and I don't think it is performance enhancing...but when you have a job, with rules breaking the rules is not a great idea and flaunting the fact that you are breaking the rules is a worse idea. 

If @ my job they say "be in by 8:00 AM everyday" and even though my performance is not at all impacted if I show up @ 8:15 and stay a little late instead...if I get caught coming in late a couple of times, I will probably have consequences. 

If I go around the office saying something like "Yeah, I come in late because I am at home railing my wife..." I am going to probably have even worse consequences. 

If I do all that AND I am not one of the top producers in my company...I am probably going to get fired, in part for being late and in part for just being dumb. 

That is apples and oranges to Riddles case....

I see both sides of it Phone Post
3/15/13 9:42 AM
ryanJ
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - 
Trojan Rubber Guard -
KingofBJJ - So the UFC simply cuts people for being morons, not because they suck as a fighter?
Apparently not all the time considering Nick Diaz is still in a title fight as of this post Phone Post
Disgusting, isn't it? Phone Post

I don't know...in relationships the amount of bullshit you put up with is directly proportional to how hot the chick is...She is a 9+, you put up with some shit...she is 5 or 6, you kick her to the curb if she starts being a bitch. 

Diaz is a 9 when it comes to bringing value to the UFC, Riddle is a 5...

3/15/13 9:44 AM
awesomestprime
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rabid Bunyip - 

"Weed keeps me from feeding my kids"

yes
3/15/13 9:48 AM
RML
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/15/13 9:49 AM
KingofBJJ - So the UFC simply cuts people for being morons, not because they suck as a fighter?

Question.

If you ran a business would you fire someone that's a moron and jeopardizes the image of your company, even if they are good at their job?

How about someone that has failed two drug tests and mouths off to the media about beating their kids.. joke or not??

3/15/13 9:51 AM
devilishstoner
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana's right on this one, IMO. If Riddle had played the game "just this much" he might have gotten the Dave Herman treatment instead of being exiled. How the fuck do you allow yourself to have two wins overturned and not even pretend to be embarrassed or contrite?
3/15/13 9:51 AM
danggook
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

played him like a riddle Phone Post
3/15/13 10:09 AM
sevr1

11the11s - Saying you'd beat your kids is pretty bad... not quite sure how all the matt riddle dickriders don't understand that...

This.

This.

And more of this.

And on top of that, he has repeatedly failed tests and has blanket syndrome. Sure, he's a decent fighter. But all this trouble/potentially bad press is not worth it for a mid tier guy.
3/15/13 10:42 AM
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

However, regardless of state laws on the legality of marijuana, you cannot have it in your system when you compete in mixed martial arts, which is regulated in North America by state, provincial, tribal, or municipal government agencies. The same thing is true of course of alcohol - alcohol is legal, but you can't fight with alcohol in your system.

Not that I disagree with Dana White, because Matt Riddle very much is a moron, but this is a completely fallacious comparison. Riddle, like ever other MMA fighter who has tested positive for marijuana by an athletic commission, did not test positive for THC, he tested positive for marijuana metabolites.

That is to say, he'd smoked weed within the last 30 days or so (basically he smoked up recently enough that any trace at all showed up), he wasn't high when he was in the ring.

You can get drunk as hell the day before a fight and commissions don't give a fuck as long as you're sober by the time of the fight. It's not the same at all. If they raised the

On a related note, I very much believe Nick Diaz has been laying off the weed, as he's been one angry motherfucker lately. If you let him smoke up until 5 days before the fight or whatever he might be more professional in his case.
3/15/13 10:43 AM
inf0
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way man.. Riddle seems like a very bright individual... homie

3/15/13 10:49 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Legendash -
PermitMeFisticuffsBrother - ahahahahaha DFW tore him a new one.

He wasn't remotely up for a scrap with Che Mills in his last fight.
Kind of announced before the fight even started though didn't he. He exposed Mills. He should move to WSOF though. I am not really feeling his current home that much.

I actually still think he will be back in the UFC. Dude is going to string some wins together. Might take him two years in the wilderness though and a serious dose of humility on his part. Phone Post
3/15/13 11:00 AM
anti_hate101
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shame he said it in such a dumb way, because he has a point.. Saying that, if my job required me to stop for the sake of a 10k prize + incentives, sometimes you have to make sacrifices.
3/15/13 11:06 AM
Authority Figure

Obvious reason, obvious. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.