UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White recalls early history with Mark Hunt

3/15/13 10:26 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1033 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

On Thursday, UFC President Dana White revealed just how close Hunt was to not even being in the UFC, let alone one more big win away from a shot at a belt. Hunt took the fight with Dos Santos only after White assured him that things he was upset about would be fixed.

Chief among those things? That the UFC didn't want to give him fights, but instead was willing to pay him the money owed him on his contract to just walk away.

"He felt very disrespected and felt like he never really belonged here," White said. "He had a losing record in PRIDE and we didn't want to bring him into the UFC, so we said, 'We'll pay you the money and you can ride off into the sunset and do your thing.' And he was like, 'F--- that. I want to be paid to fight.' First of all, a losing record, his age, the guy hadn't fought in a long time. It just made no sense to bring the guy in."

But Hunt stood his ground.

"He fought it and fought it and fought it, and finally we said, 'Fine. You wanna earn the money and fight for the money, come on in,'" White recalled.

read entire article...

3/15/13 10:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome, Hunt getting the respect he deserves.
3/15/13 10:32 PM
Hocky Balboa
7409 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Hunt manages to win his next fight and get the title shot...It will be one of the greatest stories in MMA History.

If he actually wins the title, fuggedaboutit. Phone Post
3/15/13 10:34 PM
Darth Ryase
1265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking about this when the JDS fight was announced. I remember after PRIDE got bought up the UFC had the rights to his contract or whatever, and for a few years there everyone was wondering where he was (kind of like Arona).

And I was surprised to see him finally get a fight, years after the buyout. If I said I'd seen him rising to contendership, I'd be lying. Phone Post
3/15/13 10:34 PM
UGCTT_granite007
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds right. Thanks! War Mark!!!!!

3/15/13 10:41 PM
dhughes
297 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love it!
3/15/13 11:07 PM
Forrest Spliffn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im so happy he is doing well.
They didn't even want the guy and he has since flattened some decent opponents.
Dude never shows up to cuddle and has shown little regard for his own personal safety. What more can u ask for?

War mark Phone Post
3/15/13 11:10 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Hunto.
3/15/13 11:31 PM
ShawnTheBadger
411 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark is a motherfucking Boss.

Long term fan.  Major respect.

His match with JDS completely overshadows the actual Main Event.

3/15/13 11:44 PM
Fedoral Crime
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And he lost his first fight too!

If the UFC cut him after that you couldn't really argue that it wasn't fair but thankfully they gave him a 2nd chance.

It would probably be one of the greatest moments in the history of the UFC if he wins the title. Real life Rocky type shit!

I live in Auckland now and I heard he's starting his camp here. I'd hate to be a complete faggott and go to the gym where he trains just to meet him, but how many times in your life do u get a chance to meet a living legend and possibly hold his balls?

(No homo. Just admiration for big Samoan balls) Phone Post
3/15/13 11:54 PM
Jaybrone
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Hunt somehow gets past JDS the hunt supporters on here would lose their fucking minds. And as one of those supporters I will be right there amongt them. WAR HUNTO! 

3/16/13 12:18 AM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShawnTheBadger - 

Mark is a motherfucking Boss.

Long term fan.  Major respect.

His match with JDS completely overshadows the actual Main Event.

This
3/16/13 12:33 AM
KimboByGhettoplex
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

redplayer50 - hmm

fighting for money or riding off into the sunset

sounds pretty badass either way honestly

a win win situation

work hard for a living/live off govt assistance... also win/win?
3/16/13 12:54 AM
Doem
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i really wonder what it was the UFC did to piss him off. I mean stuffing his whole crew into one hotel room sucks i understand, but turning down one of the biggest fights of the year? was it all about respect? was it money?
3/16/13 12:58 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

redplayer50 - hmm

fighting for money or riding off into the sunset

sounds pretty badass either way honestly

a win win situation
I think guys in his situation would have just taken the money Phone Post
3/16/13 1:17 AM
UGCTT_Song2
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky Balboa -  If Hunt manages to win his next fight and get the title shot...It will be one of the greatest stories in MMA History.

this

VTFU

3/16/13 1:50 AM
MichaelMeyers

That's some Rocky Balboa shit right there. He has to win the title now. It's destiny.
3/16/13 2:06 AM
sly fox
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice, good to hear dana stepped up too

3/16/13 2:09 AM
MountainMedic
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hocky Balboa - If Hunt manages to win his next fight and get the title shot...It will be one of the greatest stories in MMA History.

So motherhunting THIS!

who could possibly hate this idea?

Commies, puppy kickers, & 12ers.... that's who. Phone Post
3/16/13 3:17 PM
Fabefromfort

Hunt was one of the most entertaining guys in K1, and Pride. He use to goad people into these wars of attrition ,and seige. No holds barred, compliance to zero defense...in fact he use to create these wars where he'd present his head to the other guy to hit. Then dare the other guy to do the same.He did this with tons of guys including Ray Sefo. He and Ray Sefo loved to KO people. It was KO, or be KO'd with those guys, and Jerome Lebanner. The more spectacular the KO the better. Number one was a one punch KO that stiffed the other guy. then there was ..like a 2 or 3 or 4 punch beatdown KO. Then finally the KO that was built up over minutes or rounds of thrashing and hurting the other guy til he can't get up anymore. Hunt just obviously has to cut down on the Rice, and carbs. He has to make sure he has lots of wind which somehow he usually finds in some of these wars. He's old school loves fighting, doesn't duck anyone, anytime.. anywhere...Mano a mano, unless you bring more..in which case he's still be game..I think. Scary dude.
3/16/13 3:28 PM
CLINTK9
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hunt & Diaz are my two fav fighters right now!
3/16/13 3:31 PM
Samoa
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loved watching Mark fight since his early K-1 Days.  He took and gave some vicious beatings in kickboxing.  The Sefo fight is a classic, must see fight for fans.  He got plunger raped by that Middle Eastern kickboxer though.  (Not Abidi).

I have always liked guys like Hunt and Diaz (in the ring / cage).  They bring it EVERY time.  Win or lose, they are out there winging it and forcing the action.  I remember Hunt literally chasing Cro Cop around the ring with a look of disgust like "Where the FUCK are you going!?!"

3/16/13 4:31 PM
ranier wolfcastle
843 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

impressive move by hunt

if my boss offered to pay me not to work, i'd take it

hunt really likes fighting

3/16/13 5:23 PM
Uncle Creepy's Creepy Nephew
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samoa - 

Loved watching Mark fight since his early K-1 Days.  He took and gave some vicious beatings in kickboxing.  The Sefo fight is a classic, must see fight for fans.  He got plunger raped by that Middle Eastern kickboxer though.  (Not Abidi).

I have always liked guys like Hunt and Diaz (in the ring / cage).  They bring it EVERY time.  Win or lose, they are out there winging it and forcing the action.  I remember Hunt literally chasing Cro Cop around the ring with a look of disgust like "Where the FUCK are you going!?!"

WAas it this fight?

http://message.axkickboxing.com/images/user_uploaded/Paul/markhunt.jpg

(blue namer pretty please)

Hunt is the man I can remember when CroCop came out in Pride to fight him again and was wearing wrestling shoes!!!lol Hunts head is that hard!!

A true competitor and it warms the heart to see him doing so well in Today's UFC landscape.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.