UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Training around a lower back herniation

3/16/13 12:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Synopsis: After years of progressive degeneration following a 7 year old injury, I had an MRI last week, got my results in and I have significant posterior l4/l5 and l5/s1 disk herniations. No more standing heavy lifts for me, period.

I'm now forced to rely on supine/prone exercises, and machines like leg pressing. Even doing a 95lb unilateral lift causes sharp back pain now.

While I use machines for accessory work (mostly upper body), I've always had a strong preference for freeweights. The only lower body machine I've used was a donkey calve raise apparatus.

My question is- have any of you that made significant gains on squats/deads and conventional standing lifts, been able to approach those levels of hypertrophy with leg pressing/leg curls/glute-ham etc but no standing freeweight lifts?
3/16/13 9:46 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could you use one of those squat belts, where you straddle the weight?

http://compare.ebay.com/like/120887500608?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
3/16/13 2:37 PM
HERTSWENIP
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/16/13 2:37 PM
Interesting... I've seen them before in videos, but never been able to try one, totally forgot about those, that might just work. But it would require the platform (for full range movement) and I don't have room for a home gym right now, definitely something to keep in mind, thanks. I wonder what the max load handling capacity is for the belt (stuffing 7 plates wouldn't be practical I think)
3/16/13 2:47 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not sure but Ross Enamait has a home made belt that would
hold it, not sure if your hips could though.

Working out at home, iv'e heard about some guys digging a hole
to straddle. haha

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.