UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Davis: I had to google Magalhaes to find who he wa

3/16/13 4:03 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"He campaigned for the fight, as I say. He went out and actively campaigned for the fight on Twitter and my biggest thing is - if you want to call a guy out and you start getting fans into it and they think that I'm running from you. I literally just googled the guy to see who he was.

It gets to a point where I'm like, if you want to fight so bad, we'll make it happen. If the people on Twitter want to see it and I'm sure other fans at home want to see it, then I want to accommodate."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

3/16/13 4:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_EnderTL
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol. Good for Vinny, though.

3/16/13 4:07 PM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol, he knows exactly who he is.
3/16/13 4:09 PM
Xavier Wolfe
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Yeah man I mean I was fully unaware of this surging light heavyweight contender" Phone Post
3/16/13 4:14 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's actually not that surprising he wouldn't know who Vinny is. Not saying Vinny is unpopular, but a lot of athletes don't follow the sport they compete in very closely, which I admit is strange.

3/16/13 4:16 PM
GodSaveTheReem
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see this fight being a super-awkward standup affair with lots of kicks that dont land
3/16/13 4:22 PM
thedirtyburger

How do you practice MMA and not know of Vinny?
- ADCC champ
- world JJ champ
- TUF runner up

Those are some credentials that don't go unnoticed Phone Post
3/16/13 4:42 PM
MrHughes1991
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaelismyhero -
wvugreenlantern - If you also watched the Matt Hughes Q&A you'd have more evidence of how fighters don't follow fighters.

I didnt watch it. What did Matt say?
He just said if you were a plumber you wouldn't watch tv about plumbers. He says he doesn't watch all the fights, just the cards that he finds exciting Phone Post
3/16/13 4:42 PM
Wet Fish
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a fan of Davis or his style Phone Post
3/16/13 4:45 PM
thedirtyburger

MrHughes1991 -
Chaelismyhero -
wvugreenlantern - If you also watched the Matt Hughes Q&A you'd have more evidence of how fighters don't follow fighters.

He just said if you were a plumber you wouldn't watch tv about plumbers. He says he doesn't watch all the fights, just the cards that he finds exciting Phone Post
To me, this makes no sense. I love watching tv about my profession because I can relate Phone Post
3/16/13 4:47 PM
Authority Figure

thedirtyburger -  How do you practice MMA and not know of Vinny?
- ADCC champ
- world JJ champ
- TUF runner up

Seriously,

I would wager that 90% of fighters don't follow TUF, unless one of their teammates is auditioning or competing on the show.

Davis is a wrestler. He might respect  BJJ tournaments, but I doubt he follows or really gives a darn about who wins or competes in them. He may have some awareness of ADCC, but only if he knows other wrestlers that competed.

Vinny's initial UFC stint was so short, that it's possible that an up and comer like Phil just ignored him and focused on the guys who were real keys to getting ranked.

NomoRomophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phil better google gogoplata. Phone Post
Spoonie Luv

Is that the tranny fighter? Phone Post
3/16/13 4:50 PM
shaqitup
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrHughes1991 - 
Chaelismyhero -

I would think guys would want to watch a lot of fights, especially of other guys in their division.

3/16/13 4:51 PM
3 Sided Square
435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

King Mo also googled Emmanuel Newton. Phone Post
3/16/13 4:54 PM
KC007

I hope Phil read about how Vinny is a jiujitsu ace. Phone Post
3/16/13 4:55 PM
mr1709

he does know who he is he was just trying to be funny

That sure went over all your heads
3/16/13 4:55 PM
thedirtyburger

Authority Figure -
- ADCC champ
- world JJ champ
- TUF runner up

Seriously,

I would wager that 90% of fighters don't follow TUF, unless one of their teammates is auditioning or competing on the show.

Davis is a wrestler. He might respect  BJJ tournaments, but I doubt he follows or really gives a darn about who wins or competes in them. He may have some awareness of ADCC, but only if he knows other wrestlers that competed.

Vinny's initial UFC stint was so short, that it's possible that an up and comer like Phil just ignored him and focused on the guys who were real keys to getting ranked.

The guy wasn't just on TUF, he headlined a TUF card. and Davis isnt wrestling anymore.... this is mixed martial arts, there is JJ involved. Plus they are in the same division, wouldn't you want to at least know the competition of the organization and weight class that you fight in? Phone Post
3/16/13 4:58 PM
Zaph
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure -
- ADCC champ
- world JJ champ
- TUF runner up

Seriously,

Exactly. Phone Post
3/16/13 4:58 PM
Winston Wolf
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no offense to Vinnie but hes not his competition and on no rankings would he be top 20 Probly not even top 30
3/16/13 5:03 PM
vaginal tear
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher - Hopefully I don't get banned, but vinny came off like a jackass by calling Davis out then turning down the fight on short notice. If you tell someone you want to fight them and then have the opportunity to fight them, fight them. Phone Post
That's not what happened at all. Vinny called him out for the feb card when Phil was set to fight in Dec against forrest. Phil only wanted to fight him in Dec and Vinny said he would when if it was at heavy weight. He offered heavy weight due to the fact that he had 30 lbs to cut.

Yes Phil should continue to google all the platas, Phone Post
3/16/13 5:04 PM
Dana Van Gogh
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure -
- ADCC champ
- world JJ champ
- TUF runner up

Seriously,

Vinny won ADCC but he won the worlds? Phone Post
3/16/13 5:06 PM
Authority Figure

thedirtyburger - 
Authority Figure -
- ADCC champ
- world JJ champ
- TUF runner up

Seriously,

The guy wasn't just on TUF, he headlined a TUF card. and Davis isnt wrestling anymore.... this is mixed martial arts, there is JJ involved. Plus they are in the same division, wouldn't you want to at least know the competition of the organization and weight class that you fight in? Phone Post

My point stands. I think most UFC fighters completely ignore TUF fighters, main event or not, that don't make the news or get tons of mentions from Dana. Phil seems pretty focused on specific things. Not a stretch to imagaine him ignore a ton of fighters.

I can also see how he wouldn't consider someone like Vinny to be his competition. Doesn't mean its true, but I could see how he would take it that way.

I have no doubt that most fighters don't know every fighter signed to the UFC in their division. What were the last three fights Vinny had in the U.S. anyway?

3/16/13 5:09 PM
vaginal tear
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frank Gallagher -
vaginal tear -
Frank Gallagher - Hopefully I don't get banned, but vinny came off like a jackass by calling Davis out then turning down the fight on short notice. If you tell someone you want to fight them and then have the opportunity to fight them, fight them. Phone Post
That's not what happened at all. Vinny called him out for the feb card when Phil was set to fight in Dec against forrest. Phil only wanted to fight him in Dec and Vinny said he would when if it was at heavy weight. He offered heavy weight due to the fact that he had 30 lbs to cut.

Yes Phil should continue to google all the platas, Phone Post
You're revising history. Phone Post
No. Just paid attention when it happened. Phone Post
3/16/13 5:13 PM
sillypants

If true, he doesn't deserve whatever assistance he thought research would have provided for his prep. Guy's a legend, despite not owning the belt.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.