UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Beyond brawn

3/19/13 3:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton - Mcrobert will talk you into expecting average results, he can turn a potential winner into a loser.

i feel the opposite way. using his stuff, i finally convinced myself that i really could get a lot stronger.

i was young when i read his stuff, but for me it did the opposite of what you suggest. if i had a support group of really strong guys to learn from that probably would have been better, but i didnt.

im not crazy strong or anything now. i havent lifted weights since 2008 (i got back into bjj pretty heavily). but when i couldnt train bjj and focused on lifting for a while, mcroberts book helped me more than anything

after i did his stuff for a while, ai changed up to a 10x3 program and had some success with that too. but i dont think the 10X3 would have worked as good if i didnt go through a mcrobert program first
3/19/13 3:34 PM
jeremy hamilton
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gusto - 
jeremy hamilton - Mcrobert will talk you into expecting average results, he can turn a potential winner into a loser.

i feel the opposite way. using his stuff, i finally convinced myself that i really could get a lot stronger.

i was young when i read his stuff, but for me it did the opposite of what you suggest. if i had a support group of really strong guys to learn from that probably would have been better, but i didnt.

im not crazy strong or anything now. i havent lifted weights since 2008 (i got back into bjj pretty heavily). but when i couldnt train bjj and focused on lifting for a while, mcroberts book helped me more than anything

after i did his stuff for a while, ai changed up to a 10x3 program and had some success with that too. but i dont think the 10X3 would have worked as good if i didnt go through a mcrobert program first

I wont argue your results. If you gained from it then that's great. His stuff is for sure better than picking up a Flex magazine. To be honest I haven't even read the book but I have read a bunch of his articles, some of which I think were parts of the book.

I just don't really like his message and there are probably better books to read. Dinosaur Training and Power to the People come to mind.
3/19/13 3:39 PM
vermonter
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/13 3:42 PM
gusto - 
vermonter - Isn't Mcrobert's stuff just the 20 rep breathing squat every 10.732 weeks while adding .0137 lbs to the lift every time?

It's been a while since I've paid attention (like over a decade) but if so, come on... there's better ways to train.

my only critique of almost all of your S&C recs is that they are too science based. you might thing that is a silly comment so ill explain what i mean. there may absolutely be better methods as long as the trainee completes the work. so it is very important to consider "what is the best method" vs "what is the best method someone is willing and excited to do on a consistent basis"

Not silly because of the science based thing. I like science, I admit it. I also have a great imagination, so books not based on science don't really ever teach me anything new that I haven't already thought of. As such, they tend to be extremely boring. Also, recommending something purely because I find it fun isn't applicable to everyone... Not everyone thinks the same things are fun. But everyone can get better through science.

But yeah, I mean I agree with you totally... I have been pushing 'consistency' as a primary factor in fitness success (way more than what you actually do), and have been on the "best workout is the one you'll actually do" bandwagon for many years now.

Now the part I do think is silly, and i feel as though i must point this out (just for fun, no harm intended) is that you're critiquing my s$c recs because of how science based they are on a thread where the only book i suggested was Return of the King and the only recommendation I made was probably the simplest possible workout imaginable. Hahaha... its kind of ironic, no?
3/19/13 4:23 PM
gusto
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, i didnt see that until after i made my post but i wasnt going to edit it like a bitch
3/19/13 5:25 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton -
gusto - 

I wont argue your results. If you gained from it then that's great. His stuff is for sure better than picking up a Flex magazine. To be honest I haven't even read the book but I have read a bunch of his articles, some of which I think were parts of the book.

I just don't really like his message and there are probably better books to read. Dinosaur Training and Power to the People come to mind.
This is kind of how I felt about McRoberts vs Kubik. The training methods themselves aren't that different - both focus on heavy abbreviated training using the big exercises. But the mindset and attitude behind the authors are completely different. Brawn leaves you feeling like the world's biggest hardgainer who may be able to move respectable weights after 20 years. Dino Training leaves you feeling like you're going to conquer the world. Phone Post
3/20/13 10:03 AM
vermonter
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I can completely see that. I was convinced I was a "hardgainer" after McRoberts, for a good couple years. Turns out, I was just not exercising enough and too hard when I did exercise. Go figure.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.