UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Wrasslin Baby

3/17/13 9:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dagnabbit
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ITS OFFICIAL!!!!!!!WRESTLING IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A PART OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!!!!AND ITS OFFICIAL.....WRESTLING WINS FIGHTS!!!!!ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON!!!!!
3/17/13 9:40 AM
MMOZ

Also, pay your taxes or you'll end up in jail like Nick Diaz. Phone Post
3/17/13 10:35 AM
jojoblue
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMOZ -  Also, pay your taxes or you'll end up in jail like Nick Diaz. Phone Post

lol I am a Diaz Brothers fan But yeah wtf was he thinking
3/17/13 10:52 AM
Meastt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dagnabbit - ITS OFFICIAL!!!!!!!WRESTLING IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE A PART OF MIXED MARTIAL ARTS!!!!AND ITS OFFICIAL.....WRESTLING WINS FIGHTS!!!!!ACCEPT IT AND MOVE ON!!!!!
It's true.

Please admit though that "wrasslin" winners will be the downfall of the UFC. Die hard fans and those who trane understand what's happening in a fight and can appreciate it.
Unfortunately the majority of fans (revenue) don't know what's going on and it only looks "boring" to them and that will only lead to less PPV buys, less interest and ultimately less money.

At the end of the day excitement wins fans and earns money. If the sport has evolved into smart "wrasslers" then the sport won't maintain a casual fan base and the business will implode from lack of revenue.

If you don't believe it......just tune into Olympic wrestling next time around.......oh wait.... Phone Post
3/17/13 12:18 PM
cantuna4u
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah wrestling wins.
But the prolem is the fighters who use it to avoid actually fighting.
In the long run i hope the UFC doesnt suffer for it. Phone Post
3/17/13 12:29 PM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cantuna4u -  Yeah wrestling wins.
But the prolem is the fighters who use it to avoid actually fighting.
In the long run i hope the UFC doesnt suffer for it. Phone Post

how is wrestling "avoiding the fight." In fact its taking the fight to the person. is it not? i mean i take you down and now i am controlling you but you have the opportunity to get up, try to submit me, strike off your back, sweep me.
3/17/13 12:33 PM
Seats Taken
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being a Wrestler growing up.... My view might be skewed...

But I don't think wrestling is any less exciting to watch then Machidas defensive striking.

Plus good wrestlers can hit some awesome take downs.

Blame the fighter; not the style. Phone Post
3/17/13 1:52 PM
cantuna4u

You said it Rocky. "controlling". Not beating the other guy. Yeah it "wins" points. But its not a fighting style. Treading water and swimming are not the same thing. Phone Post
3/17/13 2:20 PM
rockyrocks90
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cantuna4u -  You said it Rocky. "controlling". Not beating the other guy. Yeah it "wins" points. But its not a fighting style. Treading water and swimming are not the same thing. Phone Post

i control you for 25 minutes. you can do absolutly nothing to me you're helpless. thats beating someone in my eyes.
Diaz was beaten. he had no morale to fight back.
gsp landed more punched than diaz threw.

wrestling brings the fight to the opponent i have to move forward to take you down. Your turn to do something about it. if you cant you lose. tough shit
3/18/13 2:51 AM
cantuna4u

Yeah rocky that wins. Than what? Who wants to pay 55 dollars to see you fight? Ask Fitch how good that formula works... Phone Post
3/18/13 3:16 AM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soon every fighter will implement wrestling as a prereq to mma training right along side their bjj...thus negating wrestling/canceling eachother out and forcing standups/striking ... ironically this has already begun to happen, its only due to the recent showing by Diaz proving he has not evolved with the sport that we're even discussing it Phone Post
3/18/13 7:53 AM
MarcVanBas

Edited: 03/18/13 7:56 AM
wrestling wins a MMA sporting match up held under unified rules. That's if your better than your opponent at it and choose to use it.

A fight though is something different to this type of sporting match up.
3/18/13 8:22 AM
ausgepicht

LOL@all the Traditonal Martial Artists....I mean, BJJers upset by this thread. It stinks like spilled kool-aid in this thread. Sell your pajamas and learn to wrestle so you don't look stupid. BJJ is killing the sport noe wrestling. Anyone that has half a brain realizes you need to know how to strike, wrestle and grapple. Leave one out and you are an idiot. The only demographic that is fighting with the other parts are BJJers. Wreslers learn to strike and do BJJ. Strikers learn to wrestle and do BJJ. BJJers only learn to strike. Maybe 1% learns to wrestle. It's a lineage, sensei, and pajama cult and if you take up wrestling you are a Benedict Arnold in their eyes. Stupid. Learn it all. Makes me wonder if people who think this way, didnt think that way, where they would be.

Where would Diaz, Condit, Penn be today if their wrestling was as good? If had unstoppable takedowns and were on top? Demian Maia gets it and look what it's doing for him? He's climbing back up the ranks.

Figure it out you stupid kool-aid heads.

3/18/13 10:08 AM
ausgepicht

BadMon - 

lol @ fight it out.  wrestling = stalling.  stagnant. control.  man-hugging.

There is a reason why wrestling died.  it's one of the least viewed olympic sports.  fact. it's fucking BORING.  Who wants to watch 2 grown men hugging?  Let's be real.  

Wrestling died yet is winning championships?! HAHAHAHAHA! How many BJJers are winning championships via BJJ? Striking and wrestling wins belts. BJJ is the weakest link in MMA.

Cain: uses wrestling to win.

Jones: uses wrestling and striking.

Anderson Silva: uses striking (outside of triangling Chael which a 5 year old could do)

GSP: uses wrestling to win.

Benson Henderson: Striking and Wrestling to win.

Jose Aldo: Striking and wrestling defense.

Dom Cruz: Striking and wrestling defense.

Rene Barao:Striking and wrestling defense.

Might Mouse: Striking and Wrestling.

Notice on that list that even the Brazilians think it's the last thing needed? Where's you god/BJJ now? I'll tell you where it is: deader than wrestling.

Have a nice day!

3/18/13 10:25 AM
cm81

ausgepicht -

LOL@all the Traditonal Martial Artists....I mean, BJJers upset by this thread. It stinks like spilled kool-aid in this thread. Sell your pajamas and learn to wrestle so you don't look stupid. BJJ is killing the sport noe wrestling. Anyone that has half a brain realizes you need to know how to strike, wrestle and grapple. Leave one out and you are an idiot. The only demographic that is fighting with the other parts are BJJers. Wreslers learn to strike and do BJJ. Strikers learn to wrestle and do BJJ. BJJers only learn to strike. Maybe 1% learns to wrestle. It's a lineage, sensei, and pajama cult and if you take up wrestling you are a Benedict Arnold in their eyes. Stupid. Learn it all. Makes me wonder if people who think this way, didnt think that way, where they would be.

Where would Diaz, Condit, Penn be today if their wrestling was as good? If had unstoppable takedowns and were on top? Demian Maia gets it and look what it's doing for him? He's climbing back up the ranks.

No offense but your argument makes it seem as if we have been transported back to the pure style vs style days of Kerr vs Gurgel.

These days there is no such thing as a pure wrestler to make this kind of comparison. GSP a wrestler? You are aware he is a Gracie Barra black belt and trains with Roger and Braulio are you? Sure his takedowns helped but it was his crushing top game BJJ which helped make his takedowns meaningful once he got on the ground.

I fail to understand your gripe here. Most BJJers I know (myself) included do work wrestling takedowns or have a judo background.

One thing I do agree with you, and have done so for a long time is that BJJ guys tend to crosstrain more in striking than in wrestling, to their detriment. IMO all they should do is work takedowns. It was a shame to watch mat monsters like Maia and Aoki trading blows and not working their bread and butter. Glad Maia is on the right track now. Phone Post
3/18/13 10:39 AM
rockyrocks90

cantuna4u -  Yeah rocky that wins. Than what? Who wants to pay 55 dollars to see you fight? Ask Fitch how good that formula works... Phone Post

fitch has two houses and is currently doing well fininacially was making 66, 000 dollars afight. im sure hes doing just fine.
like i said if you dont like ground work go watch k1 or boxing.
there are relatively little lay and prayers right now. gsp? i didnt seem him stop throwing punches or tryi gto get a better position. Hendricks? was trying to pass half guard or strike from there when he got back to condits guard he stood up. Benson? doesnt stop moving.

clay guida may fit the mold but he finished gomi on the ground.

the rules actually prevent wrestlers from finishing when they took out headbutts and knees on the ground. an exciting fight could be had only if there are 2 willing partcipants.
fitch vs. silva was fing fantastic. Why? instead of complaining that fitch was taking him down he did something about it getting back up and looking for sweeps. Diaz had an opportunity to make it an exciting fight but he did not he walked around with his hands down like he was up 4-0. how about condit? hendricks kept taking him down..... he got back up and tried to take his head off. stop blaming the winners blame the guys who are complacent in losing a decision.

and btw GSP's numbers will do better than most boxing ppv's.

3/18/13 11:43 AM
ausgepicht

Edited: 03/18/13 11:58 AM
cm81 - 
ausgepicht -

No offense but your argument makes it seem as if we have been transported back to the pure style vs style days of Kerr vs Gurgel.

These days there is no such thing as a pure wrestler to make this kind of comparison. GSP a wrestler? You are aware he is a Gracie Barra black belt and trains with Roger and Braulio are you? Sure his takedowns helped but it was his crushing top game BJJ which helped make his takedowns meaningful once he got on the ground.

I fail to understand your gripe here. Most BJJers I know (myself) included do work wrestling takedowns or have a judo background.

One thing I do agree with you, and have done so for a long time is that BJJ guys tend to crosstrain more in striking than in wrestling, to their detriment. IMO all they should do is work takedowns. It was a shame to watch mat monsters like Maia and Aoki trading blows and not working their bread and butter. Glad Maia is on the right track now. Phone Post

I never mentioned "pure" anything, but advocated being well rounded INCLUDING BJJ. I also never said GSP was a wrestler. Did you miss Saturday night's fights where Hendricks and GSP used takedowns that couldn't be stopped and helped them win their fights? I am making the point that striking, wrestling, and grappling is MANDATORY in this day and age and you get "style vs style"? Seriously, that is pitiful reading comprehension. Did you miss where I said "LEARN IT ALL." Did you miss where I said "You need to learn how to strike, wrestle and grapple."?

Also if you think learning some wrestling takedowns is learning wrestling you are sadly mistaking and not learning how to wrestle. That's like saying you've been training BJJ by learning how to do mount escapes. No. Not even CLOSE.

But don't let that stop you from making up stuff and then countering it. Just slap that pancake on top of your rabbit head and have at it.

3/20/13 12:59 AM
cm81

ausgepicht -
cm81 - 
ausgepicht -

I never mentioned "pure" anything, but advocated being well rounded INCLUDING BJJ. I also never said GSP was a wrestler. Did you miss Saturday night's fights where Hendricks and GSP used takedowns that couldn't be stopped and helped them win their fights? I am making the point that striking, wrestling, and grappling is MANDATORY in this day and age and you get "style vs style"? Seriously, that is pitiful reading comprehension. Did you miss where I said "LEARN IT ALL." Did you miss where I said "You need to learn how to strike, wrestle and grapple."?

Also if you think learning some wrestling takedowns is learning wrestling you are sadly mistaking and not learning how to wrestle. That's like saying you've been training BJJ by learning how to do mount escapes. No. Not even CLOSE.

But don't let that stop you from making up stuff and then countering it. Just slap that pancake on top of your rabbit head and have at it.

Oh calm down you drama princess. I do agree with you on your fundamental points. Readjust your panties and breathe.

I just think you're beating a dead horse here. My point is that it isn't 1999 anymore (both you and I have been around MMA before then) where there really was a "pure" style thing going on.

All MMA guys today work wrestling. You think Condit and Diaz don't? The problem is no matter how much wrestling they do, they are never going to be at the level of Hendricks or GSP.

That said I do and have always conceded that wrestling is the most important aspect of modern 5min rd MMA. Longer rounds may be different but that is not the issue here. Phone Post
3/20/13 4:26 PM
ausgepicht

cm81 - 
ausgepicht -
cm81 - 
ausgepicht -

Oh calm down you drama princess. I do agree with you on your fundamental points. Readjust your panties and breathe.

I just think you're beating a dead horse here. My point is that it isn't 1999 anymore (both you and I have been around MMA before then) where there really was a "pure" style thing going on.

All MMA guys today work wrestling. You think Condit and Diaz don't? The problem is no matter how much wrestling they do, they are never going to be at the level of Hendricks or GSP.

That said I do and have always conceded that wrestling is the most important aspect of modern 5min rd MMA. Longer rounds may be different but that is not the issue here. Phone Post

You may possibly have the worst reading comprehension on the site and perhaps the biggest denial of anyone.  I am slagging the attitude of people who are trapped in the mentality that was common during the UFCs. You come on and get your panties in a wad and tell me I am thinking like the early UFCs? I pointed out YOUR error and you spin it and go into this whole denial bit? HAHA! Grow up man. We're all wrong. Just say "My bad. Didn't realize we are discussing the same thing."

As for calming down. Let's say for some odd reason you got my panties in a wad and I was worked up - though it's obvious now that you we're projecting. It's my perogative. I can have my panties bunched up all I want. What are you going to do about it? I'll tell you:

Nothing.

Have a nice day!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.