UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Who are some of your favourite S&C coaches?

3/17/13 10:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And what makes you like them?
3/17/13 12:13 PM
tristar
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/17/13 12:14 PM
Rippetoe. Simple, straightforward info with no unnecessary bullshit. He will teach you how to get strong.
3/17/13 1:59 PM
CMX
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wendler, Jameison Phone Post
3/17/13 2:01 PM
CMX
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wendler easy to follow program , straight shooter, Jameison good coach does a great job of explaining why things work and how to properly use equipment Phone Post
3/17/13 2:53 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joel Jameison, Ross Enamait, and Jim Wendler.

Because they know what they're doing, and they don't mind answering my questions no mater how stupid they are.
3/17/13 2:53 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/13 12:43 PM

Many coaches are deserving of admiration (Mark Asanovich, Dan Riley, Tom Kelso, et. al.).

One of the best: 

Ken Mannie, Strength and Conditioning Coach at Michigan State University. Coach Mannie is one of the most intelligent, motivating, result-producing and organized people on the planet. I highly recommend you read his stuff, listen to his interviews, and talk to his athletes. You will be positively overwhelmed by him.

TAKU

Coach Mannie articles here: http://tinyurl.com/csb4stn

3/17/13 3:05 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot to add this forum, I have learned as much here as I have anywhere.
3/17/13 3:16 PM
Zero1
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pavel Tsatsouline, Steve Maxwell, Jon Hinds
3/17/13 4:14 PM
CMX

I forgot to ad Matt Fury Phone Post
3/17/13 7:04 PM
Jacks Wasted Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JamesDean57 - I forgot to add this forum, I have learned as much here as I have anywhere.
+1 Phone Post
3/17/13 10:22 PM
NeoSpartan
499 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My five favorite strength & conditioning coaches

1) wiggy
2) wiggy
3) wiggy
4) wiggy
and
5) wiggy

He spits that hot fiyaah
3/18/13 7:55 AM
LCSULLA
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve Maxwell, Taku, Joel J, Ross E, Wendler, and John Pinder.

And if all these fail...the P90X guy.
3/18/13 9:11 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eric Cressey is the man. He stands out heads and tails above the rest for me.

Other guys who I follow closely (in no particular order):
Jim Smith (Diesel Crew)
Mike Robertson
Jason Ferruggia
Joel Jameison
Cal Dietz (U of Minnesota) - Triphasic training is great stuff!
Todd Hamer (RMU)

Taku - I have heard many good things about the S&C program at MSU. Thanks for the link.

I will also say that we are fortunate to have many knowledgable posters on here as well!
3/18/13 10:50 AM
vermonter
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These guys:

And my brothers and sisters on this forum.
3/18/13 10:58 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku, Vermonter (sometimes), Steve Maxwell (lunatic), Mike Mahler, Anthony DiLuglio, Eric Cressey (as far as pro-sports, another lunatic who has an insane passion for minute details that make all the difference), Boyle (some things), my friend and mentor Eugene Dalid (Drexel Uni, Mets, his own gym), Pavel when it comes to bodyweight and mobility stuff....
3/18/13 1:36 PM
Adam Singer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joel Jameison
Martin Rooney
Dan John
Liam
Jim Wendler
3/18/13 2:08 PM
tristar
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been enjoying reading Dean Somerset's (spl?) work lately as well. Smart guy
3/18/13 3:09 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/13 8:58 AM

Liam (taku)

Fish (SCRAPPER)

Matt (Wiggy)

Doug (Vermonter)

Pavel T.

Scott Sonnon (some of you will roll your eyes, but he's a good guy with a lot to say who gives a lot away FOR FREE)

Becca Borawski (ringgirl -- she breaks the logic and science of her recommendations down in a way that few people do; she's also very, very cutting-edge and is always innovating/reassessing her methods)

Krist Scott-Dixon (she branded herself as a "women's strength and conditioning advocate" but ended up putting ones of the best "soup-to-nuts" S&C websites together and it doesn't hurt that she's HILARIOUS: http://www.stumptuous.com/)

3/18/13 8:57 PM
Taku
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/13 8:57 PM

Hey L.S.,

Yeah, check it out. Also try ASAP.

Their advisory board is like a who's who:

• Ted Lambrinides        Strength Coach                        University of Kentucky
  • Ray Oliver            Strength Coach                                U.K. Wildcats
  • Mickey Marotti     Strength Coach                                University of Florida
  • Tatsuya Okawa   Training Expert                                Tokyo, Japan
  • Dan Riley            Strength Coach                                
  • Dr Ken Leistner   Strength Expert                                Valley Stream, NY
  • Chet Furhman    Strength Coach                                 
  • Mark Wateska    Strength Coach                                Indiana University
  • Ken Mannie        Strength Coach                                 Michigan State Univ.
  • Shaun Brown      Strength Coach                                University of Virginia
  • Mark Asanovich  Strength Coach                              
  • Matt Krause        Strength Coach                                Cincinnati Reds

They have a lot of great information including tons of pod-casts (audio stuff)

TAKU

3/19/13 8:59 AM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^Dr. Ken is freakin' badass!
3/19/13 4:48 PM
Taku

Edited: 03/19/13 4:49 PM

Hey Doug,

Who are your friends? I only recognize K-flo (and maybe So-crates).

TAKU

3/19/13 4:53 PM
jeremy hamilton
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/13 4:54 PM
^^^^^^ Taku, I think it's Zats and Bompa.

Bompa works better than Melatonin and Benadryl...
3/19/13 6:17 PM
Taku

Edited: 03/19/13 6:17 PM

Hey L.S.,

Okay...It figures...Vermoter would (with his love of science) be a fan of Bompa.

I place Bompa at the bottom of the pile when it comes to useful information of value. His first book ( Theory and Methodology of Training) is dry, dryer, driest. I read it 20+ years ago (give or take). I Choked on it several times. Even a good glass of milk wont help wash it down. I actually spent several years in the 1990's using strictly Bompa methods with myself and my clients. I used to take all the 1RMs, and crunch all the numbers, planned out my training blocks with extreme detail.

GIANT WASTE OF TIME!!! 

I've never bothered to read any of his more recent stuff as I learned that his methods (IMHO) are not worth the effort it takes to use them.

TAKU

P.S. I love science as well. Just not bad science.

3/19/13 6:30 PM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't read much bompa but his periodization stuff is nonsense Phone Post
3/19/13 8:12 PM
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greg Glassman and CT Fletcher Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.