UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Who are some of your favourite S&C coaches?

3/19/13 8:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never heard of Fletcher before...Funny videos.

He wont make my list any time soon, but entertaining (for a minute or two).

TAKU

3/20/13 2:42 AM
banco
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pendlay, Clint Darden and that guy from lift, run, bang.

Think Cressey and Dan John are some of the most overrated strength coaches/authors.
3/20/13 9:48 AM
jeremy hamilton
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like CT Fletcher. I think there is a lot to learn from him. Nothing science based but his thinking and no nonsense approach is just what some people need. He has been at or near the top of his sport so he has real world experience to call on when he speaks. Something A LOT of people don't have that get a lot of attention anyway.
3/20/13 9:54 AM
vermonter
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Taku - 

Hey L.S.,

Okay...It figures...Vermoter would (with his love of science) be a fan of Bompa.

I place Bompa at the bottom of the pile when it comes to useful information of value. His first book ( Theory and Methodology of Training) is dry, dryer, driest. I read it 20+ years ago (give or take). I Choked on it several times. Even a good glass of milk wont help wash it down. I actually spent several years in the 1990's using strictly Bompa methods with myself and my clients. I used to take all the 1RMs, and crunch all the numbers, planned out my training blocks with extreme detail.

GIANT WASTE OF TIME!!! 

I've never bothered to read any of his more recent stuff as I learned that his methods (IMHO) are not worth the effort it takes to use them.

TAKU

P.S. I love science as well. Just not bad science.

Lol, easy killer.

You got two of em, although it's not Kenflo I was indicating in the picture but rather the arrow pointing to myself. Just a joke, of course, about self reliance.

You were right about socrates as well, although he's not my "favorite" philosopher, if I can ascribe such a label, but I figured he had one of the more recognizable faces. The point there was that I've learned as much about s&c by studying philosophy as I have by studying s&c.

And J-Ham was right about the other two. Zats and Bompa, in that order. I also thought it would be funny to post people who are very influencial but dont necessarily look the part.

In terms of people whose actual research and information had the greatest value density in my education of s&c I'd have to give it to Zats. The man is brilliant, and every page of his book has useful information. When I actually got to talk to the guy about my ideas, and he was interested, i pretty much shot a load into my pants. Graphic, but factual.

As far as Bompa goes, I'm going to have to disagree. Not with your (or Jeremy's) distaste of his writing however. I can see how someone might find it dull. I'm a guy that used to read health insurance law texts for fun, so dryness in writing doesn't always disuade me. The part I need to disagree with is the science of it. In the book you mention (the only of his works I have read) there isn't really much science involved. In fact its right in the title:

Theory and Methodology of Training

Compare to Zats's magnum opus:

Science and Practice of Strength Training

Zatsiorski is considerably more science minded, whereas Bompas work is highly theoretical, and almost completely a matter of conjecture. As such it's very hit or miss. In fact, it should come as no surprise that I find his periodization schemes pretty convoluted, and unnecessarily complex at best.

Here's a quote from a recent article I wrote:

"...to me, much of Bompa's book and the concept of periodization is akin to Descartes's Discourse on the Method. In the latter, Descartes wrote probably the most famous sentence in the history of philosophy, "Je pense, donc je suis." I think, therefore I am. It was one of the most brilliant and influential works in philosophy ever. But ultimately, Descartes was wrong in much of what he wrote. Similarly, and not in any way to discredit Bompa, but much of Theory and Methodology of Training is brilliant but flawed."

Make no mistake about my response. Tilla didn't ask "Who are the most consistently correct s&c coaches?" He asked about who our favorites were. Bompa is one of my favorites. Out of all coaches, his work probably influenced me the most. The first couple chapters of Theory and Methodology have influenced me more than probably any other single source of information outside of this forum. As such, he has achieved a lofty status in my opinion of coaches, much like descartes has for philosophers even though I think descartes was completely and unequivocally incorrect every one of his conclusions.

For both of them, the works still have a beauty, simplicity and perfection that will never be surpassed.

I find it funny that in looking at Bompa's updates to the book, it looks like he has removed the most influential parts of his theory haha. That's ok... I'll keep my own 30+ year old copy.
3/20/13 10:20 AM
joemama1034
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JUNIOR MILES SAID EVERYBODY SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Phone Post
3/20/13 10:32 AM
jeremy hamilton
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joemama1034 -  JUNIOR MILES SAID EVERYBODY SHUT THE FUCK UP!! Phone Post

....And they did, everybody shut the fuck up...
3/20/13 12:02 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Doug,

You said "He asked about who our favorites were." 

You're right...I just added my own little (off-topic) rant. It was not needed.

If he had asked "Who are the most consistently correct s&c coaches?" That would be a question that no  one would agree on (or very few I imagine).

TAKU

3/20/13 12:39 PM
vermonter
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haha now with THAT, i can agree Liam.
3/20/13 1:55 PM
BrutalMedic
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Motivation:

Martin Rooney

Getting someone fit:

Joel Jamieson

Getting someone strong:

Dave Tate, Jim Wendler (I find their chat very motivating)

Getting my own ass in gear:

Wiggy and Wendler.

End.
3/20/13 4:29 PM
Taku

Edited: 03/20/13 4:30 PM

Doug,

Just picked up a copy of "Science and Practice of Strength Training" (never read it). Having only just skimmed it today, I already see things I don't agree wiith or feel are even valid. I'll read the entire thing, in honor of you.

TAKU

3/20/13 7:14 PM
Buddhadev
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, I'll add to my previous list...

Mel Siff (RIP!)
Ken Leistner
Andrew Lewis ("Ali" from this forum's old days)
3/20/13 11:41 PM
leftlegtrumpcard
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ross enamit....constraining.com. they guy is a beast, and he doesn't water his material down with useless b.s. Phone Post
3/21/13 7:58 PM
Wiggy
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First of all, let me say "Thank You" to anyone and everyone who mentioned me on this thread (Neo, your list was badass - lol).  I'm humbled, appreciate your good words, and am glad that I've ever been able to help anyone.  So thanks.  :-)

As far as my own list, I've learned a lot from a lot of people.  Our own Taku is up there.  Leigh knows his shit, too.  As does Neo.  Forum member ash1 (Andy Hepler of Hepler Strength in North Carolina) doesn't post much, but trust me when I say he's an absolute badass.  Doug is a bit science-y for my tastes (I think everyone knows I'm the anecdotal guy), but he sure knows his shit.  Also learned bits that have really helped me from Jeremy Hamilton.

Jim Wendler is high on my list, and has been responsible for a big shift in how I train myself, athletes, regular guys, and design programs in general.  Not so much for 5/3/1 itself or specifically, but b/c I've adopted a lot of the same sorta philosophy - esp with regards to how I 80/20 things.  (I just put up a new youtube video on it recently, actually.)

Ross is great, as is Joel.  John Davies has turned quite eclectic, but I've learned quite a bit from him, too.

Honestly, I've been doing this shit for so long, and the way I do things is such an amalgamation of different styles, trends, methods, and such, that if I were to list everyone that's had an influence on and went into the stuff I do and create now, it would take me a helluva long time.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com/newsletter

3/21/13 10:15 PM
cheesesteak
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kevin Levrone
3/22/13 1:24 AM
MixedMartialArse
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely the dude behind the Broscience YouTube channel.

Rippletoe and Wendler which probably says more about where I am in my lifting career than anything. Phone Post
3/22/13 12:51 PM
vermonter

Taku - 

Doug,

Just picked up a copy of "Science and Practice of Strength Training" (never read it). Having only just skimmed it today, I already see things I don't agree wiith or feel are even valid. I'll read the entire thing, in honor of you.

TAKU

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

M.G. also just posted an interview of Zats as well.
3/22/13 2:12 PM
Taku

Hey gang,

I would also like to thank anyone who was kind enough to mention me on their coach list. I do my best and always just hope that I may be of some help to those out there looking for some assitance.

I also want to acknowledge my fellow Mods (past & present) who along with so many great people here on the S&C forum make it a place I feel is always worth visitng.

SIncerely,

Liam "TAKU" Bauer

3/22/13 2:49 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/22/13 2:57 PM
Conversation ends here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1OIWdXhk40

Adam

This one is even better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tmOiSvkCU
3/22/13 4:37 PM
Taku

Adam,

Awesome...how come I never heard of this guy. Is he the HC gyms secret weapon?

TAKU

3/22/13 4:44 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Liam,
He is now.
Adam
3/22/13 7:50 PM
Taku

Adam said: "He is now"

LOL@ that...AWESOME!!!

3/22/13 9:39 PM
cheesesteak
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ATTN: THERE IS A LLOYD IRVIN SUPPORTER ON THIS THREAD!!!!! AND A GOOD FRIEND OF ONE OF THE BIGGEST DIRTBAGS IN ALL OF MMA , MARCOS AVELAN!!!

LLOYD IRVIN WEBSITE!!!!!!

30Days Free!!!!!! Womens bootcamp!!!!!!

FAKE FOOD DRIVES!!!! AND TOY DRIVES!!! (the real objective is sign ups)

TESTIMONIALS

TESTIMONIALS

TESTIMONIALS
3/23/13 4:18 AM
Adam Singer

LoL. Phone Post
3/23/13 6:01 AM
KOArtist
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sal Pelosi Phone Post
3/23/13 6:55 AM
torquemada
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No love for Joe DeFranco here?

And I agree with many of the above. This forum has great contributors. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.