UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What's next for Jake Ellenberger?

3/17/13 11:04 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Perhaps because there was a chance that Nick Diaz would be pulled from the title fight or entire card, again, the welterweight title bout was not the only fight contested at 170 Saturday night.

There was also the co-main event of Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks. That one ended up being the fight of the night, with the winner, Hendricks, getting the next title shot at champion Georges St-Pierre.

However, there was a third fight at UFC 158 with welterweight title implications, Jake Ellenberger vs. former Strikeforce welterweight champ Nate Marquardt. Ellenberger took that one in the first, earning Knockout of the Night.

"It was awesome," said an appreciative UFC presdient Dana White. "One of the things I said to him in the back, he didn't go for a takedown. He stood right in there with Nate Marquardt and banged and finished him....  he didn't wresthttp://tools.mixedmartialarts.com/frames.htmle with him. He stood up with him."

So what does that get Ellenberger, besides the $50,000 'of the night' performance bonus?

Ellenberger tweeted immediately after the fight.

"I would run through Johnny Bumdrix, wrote Ellenberger. "Faster than a pool shark late for a train."

However, Ellenberger, who has won eight of his past nine fights, does not know what is actually next.

"I'm not really sure right now," said Ellenberger. "I was just so focused on Nate Marquardt tonight and winning the fight. I've never turned down anyone in the UFC. Anyone they've put me against, I've matched up. I'm focusing on that title shot myself."

Ellenberger told Ariel Helwani after the fight that he thinks knocking out Nate Marquardt at UFC 158 puts him one fight away from a title shot.

So who is that one fight against?

Canadian Rory MacDonald?

Brazilian Demian Maia?

A rematch with Danish fighter Martin Kampmann?

Where in the world is Jake Ellenberger's next opponent?

3/17/13 11:05 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia... imo Phone Post
3/17/13 11:08 AM
Diazgreasedmybutthole
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia would be good. Phone Post
3/17/13 11:10 AM
stillmatic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rory Macdonald
3/17/13 11:11 AM
yellow wrkahlc
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia would get finished, imo.

Jake has hands, and they have power, so like, um, he hits them to their faces.

3/17/13 11:12 AM
stillmatic

Maia would be a horrible fight for him. I don't think he could stop Maia's TD's and Maia would very likely sub him on the ground.
3/17/13 11:13 AM
Tilla
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like Jake, seems like a great guy.

I'd like to see him face the winner of the GSP/Hendricks fight.
3/17/13 11:19 AM
shugerrush

I second rory MacDonald Phone Post
3/17/13 11:21 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP vs Hendricks

Condit vs MacDonald

Maia vs Ellenberger

Kampmann vs Saffiedine

3/17/13 11:22 AM
JamesTheWelshDR
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winner of silva vs Hathaway Phone Post
3/17/13 11:26 AM
JOESONDO
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lawler would be awesome! Maia is not bad either just from a ranking stand point. Phone Post
3/17/13 11:35 AM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

after Maia's last fight, i don't think anyone really wants to fight him.... Ellenberger has plenty of power, but Maia's taken Silva's shots and kept walking...might be a bad matchup for Jake.

the WW division's in a weird spot...most of the top guys have already fought each other.

Ellenberger could rematch Condit, but i suspect Carlos might wanna take some time off to work on some new stuff and take care of some injuries (i'm just assuming his racked some up with the recent battles he's had).

Rory could be a good fight, as a win should jump him up in the rankings quite a bit. but i also suspect Rory wants a rematch with Carlos as well...

i presume Hendricks has the next title shot.... but who knows what wacky stuff will happen there.

btw, who's Saffiedine scheduled to fight?
3/17/13 11:37 AM
BshMstr
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthernIrishZombie - 

GSP vs Hendricks

Condit vs MacDonald

Maia vs Ellenberger

Kampmann vs Saffiedine

these are prolly the most logical match ups, based off the rankings...
3/17/13 11:38 AM
vaginal tear
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WelshWarrior - Maia... imo Phone Post
/ thread. Phone Post
3/17/13 12:29 PM
vaginal tear
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KingstonHawkeJr - I like the Robbie Lawlor fight a lot.
Ok I hadn't thought of that. Open thread! Phone Post
3/17/13 12:41 PM
A Samoan Busted My Dutchman
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP VS HENDRICKS
ELLENBERGER VS MACDONALD
MAIA VS LAWLER
MEIN VS SAFFIEDINE Phone Post
3/17/13 12:42 PM
A Samoan Busted My Dutchman
289 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Or maia vs saffeidine
Lawler vs Mein Phone Post
3/17/13 12:56 PM
canuck34
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see him fight Diaz. Phone Post
3/17/13 1:32 PM
Herbish1
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ellenberger/Macdonald and Diaz/Condit are the fights to make IMO
3/17/13 3:00 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Ellenberger vs MacDonald
Maia vs Saffiedine
3/17/13 4:06 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ellenberger vs MacDonald
3/17/13 4:13 PM
Beefcake the Mighty

Maia because if Rory beats him then what? Rory won't fight GSP and you eliminate a title contender. Rory needs to get that fight with Condit first.

3/18/13 9:11 AM
yabadaba
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ellenberger vs Maia

Diaz vs Lawler II

3/18/13 10:17 AM
adame09
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia or Rory Phone Post
3/18/13 10:21 AM
CLINTK9
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthernIrishZombie - 

GSP vs Hendricks

Condit vs MacDonald

Maia vs Ellenberger

Kampmann vs Saffiedine

Add Diaz vs Lawler 2 and we have us an AWESOME Card here!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.