UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Someone Critique my diet please?

3/18/13 5:39 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jdbruz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After a general consensus on my diet. Main goals are building muscle without gaining fat. Even losing fat. Weight is currently 114kg height 6'4 doing 5/3/1 4 days per week mon/tues thurs/fri and running Wednesday Saturday Sunday.

Breakfast 1 cup of oats with 1 cup of skim milk. Cup of coffee

Train mid morning

After training, 2 scoops whey protein and Gatorade.

Lunch 1 chicken breast with olive oil 3/4 cup of brown rice

Afternoon whey protein and maybe small amount of Greek yoghurt and fruit

Dinner 300g (approx) steak and 3 eggs.

Before bed whey protein

Other supps are multivitamin and dessicated beef liver tablets (bcaa's)

This is my diet on a general day in which I lift. Any advice would be awesome! Phone Post
3/18/13 7:05 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are the goals?

Too few veggies... why do you stack the fats in the evening? Why the whey?
3/18/13 7:06 AM
fuzzislipperz
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You need to increase your protein, I'm assuming based on your weight. Unless you have a higher than average body mass.... Do you happen to know what it is? That makes a significant difference in your macros. It actually makes ALL the difference. If you can provide your body mass and tell me a little more about how you spend the hours of the day you aren't in the gym, I can give more solid advice. Phone Post
3/18/13 7:34 AM
Jdbruz

fuzzislipperz - You need to increase your protein, I'm assuming based on your weight. Unless you have a higher than average body mass.... Do you happen to know what it is? That makes a significant difference in your macros. It actually makes ALL the difference. If you can provide your body mass and tell me a little more about how you spend the hours of the day you aren't in the gym, I can give more solid advice. Phone Post
Sorry Body mass? The hours that aren't in the gym are mildly active. But not overly Phone Post
3/18/13 7:36 AM
Jdbruz

Jorx - What are the goals?

No real purposeful stacking of fats in the evening. I don't eat any vegetables other than potato and corn (stupid I know) and I eat the eggs as a side with my steak rather than chips or mashed potatoes. Goals are to continue building muscle without or at least minimal body fat gain. Phone Post
3/18/13 8:29 AM
fuzzislipperz
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jdbruz -
fuzzislipperz - You need to increase your protein, I'm assuming based on your weight. Unless you have a higher than average body mass.... Do you happen to know what it is? That makes a significant difference in your macros. It actually makes ALL the difference. If you can provide your body mass and tell me a little more about how you spend the hours of the day you aren't in the gym, I can give more solid advice. Phone Post
Sorry Body mass? The hours that aren't in the gym are mildly active. But not overly Phone Post
Yes, your protein intake varies on the amount of lean muscle tissue you are made up of. For example, if you are 100lbs and you have 15% body fat...you have about 85lbs of lean tissue and you would base your daily protein intake off of 85lbs and what your goals are. Phone Post
3/18/13 10:59 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jdbruz - 
Jorx - What are the goals?

No real purposeful stacking of fats in the evening. I don't eat any vegetables other than potato and corn (stupid I know) and I eat the eggs as a side with my steak rather than chips or mashed potatoes. Goals are to continue building muscle without or at least minimal body fat gain. Phone Post

obviously, add more non-starchy veggies.
3/18/13 11:29 AM
sczott52
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jdbruz -  After a general consensus on my diet. Main goals are building muscle without gaining fat. Even losing fat. Weight is currently 114kg height 6'4 doing 5/3/1 4 days per week mon/tues thurs/fri and running Wednesday Saturday Sunday.

Train mid morning

Before bed whey protein

This is my diet on a general day in which I lift. Any advice would be awesome! Phone Post

Calculate your BMR and TDEE.  Once you find those out eat 20% more calories than your maintenance.  Make sure you get a minimum 1g of protein per lean LB of body mass, and a minimum of .40g per lb of body weight for fats.  Fill it the rest of the calories however you please preferrably from whole and minimally processed foods(vegtables are what will give you micronutrients).

Also unless you are a newb it is highly unlikely you will be able put on much muscle and lose fat.  Eating in a caloric surplus and compound lifts are the best way to build muscle.  But hitting your macros and keeping that surplus at 15-20% will limit your fat increase.

3/18/13 11:30 AM
sczott52
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also based on the diet you posted above it does not look like you're eating enough calories.

3/18/13 6:04 PM
Jdbruz

sczott52 -
Jdbruz -  After a general consensus on my diet. Main goals are building muscle without gaining fat. Even losing fat. Weight is currently 114kg height 6'4 doing 5/3/1 4 days per week mon/tues thurs/fri and running Wednesday Saturday Sunday.

Train mid morning

Before bed whey protein

Calculate your BMR and TDEE.  Once you find those out eat 20% more calories than your maintenance.  Make sure you get a minimum 1g of protein per lean LB of body mass, and a minimum of .40g per lb of body weight for fats.  Fill it the rest of the calories however you please preferrably from whole and minimally processed foods(vegtables are what will give you micronutrients).

Also unless you are a newb it is highly unlikely you will be able put on much muscle and lose fat.  Eating in a caloric surplus and compound lifts are the best way to build muscle.  But hitting your macros and keeping that surplus at 15-20% will limit your fat increase.

Thanks mate, I really try to limit my carb intake as I put fat on extremely easily. I know I probably should be eating a bit more but I just worry about that fat gain. My TDEE is around 2500 cals. What would you suggest for more added protein? I aim for roughly 200-250g a day at the moment Phone Post
3/18/13 6:06 PM
Jdbruz

fuzzislipperz -
Jdbruz -
Yes, your protein intake varies on the amount of lean muscle tissue you are made up of. For example, if you are 100lbs and you have 15% body fat...you have about 85lbs of lean tissue and you would base your daily protein intake off of 85lbs and what your goals are. Phone Post
Ok thanks mate, I get what you mean now. Phone Post
3/18/13 11:17 PM
Jdbruz

BernardHopkins - more protein shakes during the day.

dont go more than 3.5hrs without 25g of protein if you can help it (and if you can afford it)

if you dont have a big appetite then get some flax oil and add a few teaspoons to each shake. tastes like shit but protein shakes arent meant to be for enjoying flavor, and a few tsp of flax oil can easily add over 100 cals.

have a shake in the morning with your oatmeal.

dont worry about counting calories because its too stressful unless you are making money off this.

just eat until you're full. then eat a little more.

i could go on and on but reality is 50 people will comment in this thread and most of us will argue with the other guy and you will end up taking bits and pieces from each of us

IMO the best way to figure out what to do is to google and read as much as you can about everything. stay away from mens health magazines

Thanks mate. Sounds good enough to me. Appreciate it. Phone Post
3/19/13 12:08 AM
sczott52

dont go more than 3.5hrs without 25g of protein if you can help it (and if you can afford it)

if you dont have a big appetite then get some flax oil and add a few teaspoons to each shake. tastes like shit but protein shakes arent meant to be for enjoying flavor, and a few tsp of flax oil can easily add over 100 cals.

dont worry about counting calories because its too stressful unless you are making money off this.

i could go on and on but reality is 50 people will comment in this thread and most of us will argue with the other guy and you will end up taking bits and pieces from each of us

IMO the best way to figure out what to do is to google and read as much as you can about everything. stay away from mens health magazines

Meal timing is not a significant factor when it comes to body composition. Eat whenever your want or when it's convenient. Was created by supplement companies so you could buy more: you guessed it protein shakes.

Take a protein shake if you want, but its not necessary to gain muscle. Phone Post
3/19/13 4:18 AM
Jdbruz

Yeah I get ya, what else other than more shakes would you suggest to boost protein intake? Say more chicken and more steak for lunch and dinner? Maybe eggs with breakfast? Phone Post
3/19/13 4:18 AM
Jdbruz

sczott52 -

Meal timing is not a significant factor when it comes to body composition. Eat whenever your want or when it's convenient. Was created by supplement companies so you could buy more: you guessed it protein shakes.

Take a protein shake if you want, but its not necessary to gain muscle. Phone Post
Above post was for you mate Phone Post
3/19/13 5:09 AM
Jorx
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add non-strachy veggies...

I think I ate about half a pound spinach and half a pound cabbage this morning... some buckwheat, some pork... it was glorious...
3/19/13 5:55 AM
Jdbruz

Jorx - Add non-strachy veggies...

I think I ate about half a pound spinach and half a pound cabbage this morning... some buckwheat, some pork... it was glorious...
Thanks mate, one problem, and I know how stupid it is but I don't eat vegetables. Potato, corn, beetroot and carrot is it. Again stupid I know haha Phone Post
3/19/13 7:58 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you currently making good gains? Your diet looks decent overall to me. Like others have said, adding some non-starchy vegetables would be helpful. If you're getting 250 grams of protein a day I don't think you need anymore. But it looks like a good, healthy baseline diet that you could tweak depending on what goal is more important (muscle gain or fat loss). Phone Post
3/19/13 9:56 AM
sczott52

Jdbruz - Yeah I get ya, what else other than more shakes would you suggest to boost protein intake? Say more chicken and more steak for lunch and dinner? Maybe eggs with breakfast? Phone Post
Eggs are good. Eat whatever you like. Turkey, salmon, etc. Phone Post
3/19/13 10:01 AM
sczott52

BernardHopkins -
sczott52 - 

i dont think diet science was created by supplement companies

i never said drink as many shakes as u can.

i said dont go more than 3.5 hr without protein.

dont take my word for it, listen to every top level professional bodybuilder on the planet

or listen to mike dolce or any nutritionist

Actually scientists don't agree. Bro science which was largely created by supplement companies. Not saying it won't work, just saying it's not necessary. IF is popular right now where u only eat in an 8 hr or 6 hr window. Check out the nutritional forum of bodybuilding.com, or read some articles by Alan Aragon.

Also using body builders is not a good example as they pump all kinds of gear in their body which can change things entirely. Phone Post
3/19/13 10:43 AM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out this site.

http://www.leangains.com/
3/19/13 11:10 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sczott52 - 

seriously, WTF? lol
3/19/13 11:34 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

Look at any of the past (just 3 months) "Critique my diet" threads and see how much real, useful advice was given. Then, compare that to your "chuck whey protein shakes" comments. If you post what we perceive in our experience and/or know-how to be terrible advice, then you will get called out on it not only in this forum but any forum including a science classroom or any other professional setting.
3/19/13 11:50 AM
fuzzislipperz

BernardHopkins -
ArthurKnoqOut - 
sczott52 - 

seriously, WTF? lol

my bros, meal timing has so much to do with it. timing has absolutely nothing to do with supplement companies and they did not come up with this. I don't know where you have come up with that info only than in your own head, aka your opinion.

it's just not right bro but its your opinion so you're entitled to it

meal timing and combining carbs/fat/pro etc... has a lot to do with metabolism and insulin etc...

eating 2 big meals a day or having 6 small meals with protein constantly supplied every few hours will have 2 completely different effects on you. not just physically but inside you as well.

eating whenever you want or when its convenient is fine, nothing wrong with that for the average person. but for a guy who already has a workout regimen and is looking to add a good bit more lean muscle, eating the right foods at the right time has everything to do with it.

eating 2 times a day wont make you fat and 6 times a day wont make you skinny, so your first line "not a significant factor when it comes to body composition" is accurate. but we're talking about a weight lifter here with goals.

post your pics and show us how well your eating whenever you feel like it has worked for you in the gym.

OP i can't do this anymore...i knew this is what the thread would turn into. this forum is extremely predictable

You should read more than men's fitness and you'll understand why we are telling you that you're wrong.

Check out examine.com. Phone Post
3/19/13 11:52 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

fuzzislipperz - 
BernardHopkins -
ArthurKnoqOut - 
sczott52 - 

seriously, WTF? lol

my bros, meal timing has so much to do with it. timing has absolutely nothing to do with supplement companies and they did not come up with this. I don't know where you have come up with that info only than in your own head, aka your opinion.

it's just not right bro but its your opinion so you're entitled to it

meal timing and combining carbs/fat/pro etc... has a lot to do with metabolism and insulin etc...

eating 2 big meals a day or having 6 small meals with protein constantly supplied every few hours will have 2 completely different effects on you. not just physically but inside you as well.

eating whenever you want or when its convenient is fine, nothing wrong with that for the average person. but for a guy who already has a workout regimen and is looking to add a good bit more lean muscle, eating the right foods at the right time has everything to do with it.

eating 2 times a day wont make you fat and 6 times a day wont make you skinny, so your first line "not a significant factor when it comes to body composition" is accurate. but we're talking about a weight lifter here with goals.

post your pics and show us how well your eating whenever you feel like it has worked for you in the gym.

OP i can't do this anymore...i knew this is what the thread would turn into. this forum is extremely predictable

You should read more than men's fitness and you'll understand why we are telling you that you're wrong.

Check out examine.com. Phone Post

I legit LOL'd...hard. My daily VTFU goes to you, sir.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.