UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Even die hard GSP fans were dissapointed

3/18/13 12:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Masakyst
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's harder to finish a fighter who is being fully defensive, just trying to survive. Especially Nick Diaz, dude has an iron chin and an impenetrable ground game. You can't really be surprised that GSP wasn't the first guy ever to finish Nick.

If Nick had been a little more offensive, GSP might have found that opening for a finish. But it takes two people to fight, and GSP was the only one fighting.
3/18/13 12:22 PM
Wasa-B
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Diaz Fanboys Silver Lining Journey Continues

As a GSP fan, I wasnt that thrilled about his performance. He didnt really deliver.

As a Diaz fan, I was lessed thrilled about his. He completely failed to deliver.

Conclusion: I was more disappointed in Diaz than GSP.
3/18/13 12:22 PM
Griffdog
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

John Nic -  GSP is just making money and has little killer instinct left. He's still a phenomenal athlete and correctly ranked as #3 P4P. If he was so terrible, someone would have beaten him by now. Phone Post

Absolutely true. Unfortunately, GSP will always be that fighter that you wonder just how good he could have been.

Just think what he could have done over the years if he had Anderson or Wanderlei killer instinct? Just think if he cared more about fighting than winning?

Matt Serra ruined the WW division. He stole GSP's ferocity. He made him doubt himself. George has never been the same.

It's just so frustrating to think about the kind of fighter George could be with so much talent and athleticism.

It has always seemed that Diaz was fighting over his head and won based on aggression and will.

If you mixed Diaz's aggression and killer instinct with George's athleticism and talent....wow.
3/18/13 12:23 PM
suess
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CLINTK9 - 
suess - 

i wasn't disappointed.  

hey did you guys hear what the first m in mma stands for?  wild and crazy stuff if you ask me.

I thought mixed Martial Arts was + Karate, Kung Fu, Wrestling, Boxing, Kickboxing, Sambo, etc! And using these skills to defeat your opponent.

playing it safe, maintaining position, & doing just enough to stay up on the cards, so 3 other people, who are not in the fight, say you did better or more than the other guy so you win, is not mixed martial arts. Its sport fighting and taking advantage of the current judging system.

diaz is notorious for being impossible to finish in normal circumstances.  then he went in against GSP and turtled on the ground, stayed away on the feet, and you expect GSP to be responsible for that?  umm, ok!  

3/18/13 12:26 PM
MaliceX
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nexuscrawlers - 
MaliceX - Blanketing sucks.

If you can't advance position on top, there should be a stalling call or this sport will suffer.

under pride rules there wouldnt have been a yellow card for stalling. idk waht fight you watched, but there wasnt any stalling going on. there was some ground action, and Nick did a good job defending and trying to keep gsp tied up, but i didnt see any "stalling" in this fight.

Did I say anything about Pride rules?

GSP failed to advance having the dominant position.

I think we need a stalling call for that, real wrestling has a stall call and a stalemate to keep the action going.
3/18/13 12:26 PM
Wasa-B
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ "If you mixed Diaz's aggression and killer instinct with George's athleticism and talent....wow."

True cept Diaz's aggression was absent against GSP. GSP is getting all the shit for the underwhelmingness of the fight though.
3/18/13 12:27 PM
mmavixen
1091 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a fan of both guys, though I was rooting for Diaz.

It definitely wasn't the beatdown GSP promised and I'll levae it at that.  He's such a great guy that I find it hard to criticize him.

3/18/13 12:28 PM
Masakyst
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

If you can't advance position on top, there should be a stalling call or this sport will suffer.

under pride rules there wouldnt have been a yellow card for stalling. idk waht fight you watched, but there wasnt any stalling going on. there was some ground action, and Nick did a good job defending and trying to keep gsp tied up, but i didnt see any "stalling" in this fight.

I think we need a stalling call for that, real wrestling has a stall call and a stalemate to keep the action going.

At what point was GSP not advancing position? I don't think they ever stayed still on the ground for longer than four seconds.
3/18/13 12:29 PM
Wasa-B

MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

Here we go again, the whole GSP LNP was Stalling should have yellow carded BS.

At what point was Diaz working his ass off where GSP was just "holding on?" That is when fighters get penalized for passivity or stalling. Who kept on rolling to the turtle position (a defensive position)? This isnt real wrestling either, this isnt BJJ, this isnt judo, this isnt boxing, this isnt karate.....there are already standup calls but none were warranted in this fight. You guys are just tried to find a silver lining in Diaz's getting dominated and having an even worse performance than GSP.
3/18/13 12:30 PM
MaliceX

Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

At what point was GSP not advancing position? I don't think they ever stayed still on the ground for longer than four seconds.

Did he get mount or take the back once? Moving laterally around in someones guard or riding them head below the waste is not advancement IMO.
3/18/13 12:31 PM
Wasa-B

mmavixen - 

It definitely wasn't the beatdown GSP promised and I'll levae it at that.  He's such a great guy that I find it hard to criticize him.

Diaz also called GSP out. He got him. He did less than GSP. He did shit. GSP is getting all the shit. Diaz is whining. Diaz fanboys are whining. Not saying you are one of them but its time to move on.
Vitor29

Masakyst - It's harder to finish a fighter who is being fully defensive, just trying to survive. Especially Nick Diaz, dude has an iron chin and an impenetrable ground game. You can't really be surprised that GSP wasn't the first guy ever to finish Nick.

If Nick had been a little more offensive, GSP might have found that opening for a finish. But it takes two people to fight, and GSP was the only one fighting.
Bullshit. Fucking bullshit. Gsp wouldnt have found an opening for a finish because HE WASN'T LOOKING FOR A GODDAM FINISH. Seriously, can we just drop the shit and talk straight about this? Stop with the"diaz is hard to finish" line and let us all acknowledge the FACT that gsp at no point showed any inclination to either finish or punish Diaz. And yes, I wanted gsp to win going in to this. Phone Post
MaliceX

Edited: 03/18/13 12:31 PM
It was a disappointing fight all around.
3/18/13 12:32 PM
Masakyst

MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

Did he get mount or take the back once? Moving laterally around in someones guard or riding them head below the waste is not advancement IMO.

He was getting hooks in to take the back at several points, and Diaz saw it coming and was getting ready to sweep, so GSP bailed on taking the back this way after a few tries.

You're just believing what you want to believe. GSP didn't stall at all in that fight.
3/18/13 12:33 PM
MaliceX

Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

He was getting hooks in to take the back at several points, and Diaz saw it coming and was getting ready to sweep, so GSP bailed on taking the back this way after a few tries.

You're just believing what you want to believe. GSP didn't stall at all in that fight.

So you agree that he didn't advance position? Thank you.
3/18/13 12:33 PM
Vitor29

Wasa-B -
mmavixen - 

Diaz also called GSP out. He got him. He did less than GSP. He did shit. GSP is getting all the shit. Diaz is whining. Diaz fanboys are whining. Not saying you are one of them but its time to move on.
Gsp is getting shit because he dominated the fight and made no attempt to finish or put a beating on diaz. He set it on cruise control and coasted to the decision. That's why he's getting shit from as a gsp fan. Phone Post
3/18/13 12:34 PM
Anderson's BBC in my Goku

why would they be disappointed? his abs and glutes were on point in this fight...

3/18/13 12:36 PM
Silverball
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP took the safest, SMARTEST path to victory. He was dominant, but didn't deliver said beat down he promised. I'm more disappointed in Diaz, who I knew would be the lesser fighter in terms of athleticism, but I didn't anticipate how flat he looked, even during the stand-up exchanges.
3/18/13 12:37 PM
Jill Laz

Herman Munster -

There is die hard GSP fans, and there is perspective.  We can go on all day about GSP not doing this or not doing that, but the facts are, 13 minutes of the fight were on the feet, and Nick lost the stand up.  Nick put his hands down, and walked away, and attacked more after the bell like a chump loser, than during the fight.  Nick deserved to be yellow carded for his inactivity.  He also turtles up on the ground and epitomized stalling.   GSP would have killed Nick under Pride rules.  Knees to the head on the ground would have benefitted GSP, same with stomps, much more so than they would have benefitted Diaz.  This is why Diaz is not cut to be a Champion, he fought like a chump.

Well put..Nick wanted this fight but I don't know if he could have handled being a champ even if he won there are more public appearances involved ect.. And I'm not being sarcastic I really wonder if emotion won't be his down fall Phone Post
3/18/13 12:38 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

Which had more to do with Diaz's excellent defense and constant rolling then it did with GSP not trying to advance.

Do you understand what you are watching at all?
3/18/13 12:38 PM
UGSlapshot

sgotwalks -
UGSlapshot - 
hubris - GSP fans who hated the "thug" Nick Diaz initially were upbeat at the fight but as soon as it hit the mat in the first and second round, instead of excitement it was just silence and dissapointment.

true story
I don't care how he still won. /end thread Phone Post

Oh look, the guy who decides when threads end has entered the room...........and ended the thread. Seems you might be losing your powers bud.

If the thread is this lame hell yeah..

Its just crysack bullshit, its not like this is something new. GSP has always counted on positional control against the best competition.

I don't understand why his fans would be upset with him for doing what he always does especially when its a tough fighter he's fighting, its still a win even if it wasn't exciting or particularly dominant. Phone Post
3/18/13 12:42 PM
Wasa-B

MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

It depends what you consider "advancing position." Back control on top, whether with hooks or not, is an advance from full guard. There were times GSP elected not to sink the other hook and there were times it looked like he did go for both hooks but simply wasnt able to, just like Diaz went to high guard and wasnt able to catch anything.
3/18/13 12:42 PM
Masakyst

Vitor29 - 
Masakyst - It's harder to finish a fighter who is being fully defensive, just trying to survive. Especially Nick Diaz, dude has an iron chin and an impenetrable ground game. You can't really be surprised that GSP wasn't the first guy ever to finish Nick.

Bullshit. Fucking bullshit. Gsp wouldnt have found an opening for a finish because HE WASN'T LOOKING FOR A GODDAM FINISH. Seriously, can we just drop the shit and talk straight about this? Stop with the"diaz is hard to finish" line and let us all acknowledge the FACT that gsp at no point showed any inclination to either finish or punish Diaz. And yes, I wanted gsp to win going in to this. Phone Post

How do you know he wasn't looking for a finish? Did you forget about all the head kicks he threw while standing? He threw a lot of hard strikes on the ground. He even tried getting hooks in to take the back, possibly looking for a RNC.

A finish isn't something that a fighter can create through pure force of will alone, and you can't fairly assume he wasn't going for a finish just because he didn't get the opportunity to fully wrap his arms around Diaz's neck. There needs to be an opening somewhere. Diaz played a fully defensive game, and he's hard enough to finish as it is.

I just don't understand the outrage. It wasn't the most exciting fight we've ever seen, but GSP did his part.
3/18/13 12:43 PM
MaliceX

Chimonos Revenge - 
MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Masakyst - 
MaliceX - 
Nexuscrawlers - 

Which had more to do with Diaz's excellent defense and constant rolling then it did with GSP not trying to advance.

Do you understand what you are watching at all?

Yes it did and I have also stated that Diaz was disappointing.
That's 1 fight, what about the other 6 decisions GSP has had with little to no advancement?

Are you ok with the blanket wins?

3/18/13 12:44 PM
Wasa-B

^ GSP sure did more of his part than Diaz did.

Diaz fanboys are just continuing to scrape up some silver lining somewhere, anywhere.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.