UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Why would ADCC go to China before Japan?

3/18/13 12:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kneeblock
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like a dumb decision. I don't know of a thriving BJJ scene in Beijing, but I could be wrong. Japan seemed like a natural choice and you'd actually get a big crowd for a change. Was this just because the Sheik has business connections in China?

3/18/13 1:05 PM
TheBearStare
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in
3/18/13 1:26 PM
Tango_MF
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Money?

I guess Guy Neivens, the producer of ADCC, met with Japanese Businessman Yamada Shigetaka from the Jiu Jitsu Federation of China (and BJJ Brown belt) tasked with promoting BJJ in China.
3/18/13 1:59 PM
ubik
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My simple rule from working all over the world is to ask myself the question, "who profits?"
3/18/13 2:01 PM
TheBearStare
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do they even make money from running adcc?
they always seem to do an awful job promoting it and the arenas are almost always empty. i thought the sheik keeps doing it because he loves it and he has infinite money.
3/18/13 2:31 PM
green_machine
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read the China thing, too, but have they confirmed it yet or is it just a rumor still? Also, have they confirmed any dates or anything?
3/18/13 2:39 PM
kying418
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm Chinese, and I would rather it be in Japan.

Either way, its too far for me haha.
3/18/13 7:36 PM
chickenscratch
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It would be great if BJJ took off in China. Largest talent pool in the world albeit mostly at lighter weights, I would imagine. Phone Post
3/18/13 7:43 PM
Sir Taps
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure that the hosting promoter pays for the event, not the Sheikh, so I guess the only people willing to take on the event was someone wanting to host it in China.

James
3/18/13 9:02 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sir Taps - I'm pretty sure that the hosting promoter pays for the event, not the Sheikh, so I guess the only people willing to take on the event was someone wanting to host it in China.

James

exactly. the sheikh is barely involved at all these days 

3/18/13 10:12 PM
TheBearStare

So you guys are telling me the adcc events are actually profitable that's why they keep doing them? How the help can they possibly make money with all the prize money and accomodations they provide for competitors? Phone Post
3/19/13 8:46 PM
nogidavid
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a lot of people don't know that fighters share hotel rooms at the ADCC

3/20/13 9:42 AM
HoldYerGround
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having lived and trained in Beijing for about a year and a half, I can attest to the fact that BJJ is still very much in its infancy in that country. Phone Post
3/22/13 9:23 AM
Kneeblock
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt for another year of empty stadiums. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.