UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Askren: I'm 100% sure I could beat GSP

3/19/13 9:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

flipmode - 
Entreri - 
bjjdna - 
Entreri - 
bjjdna - lol at the nonfight knowing Askren haters.

Askren would take down GSP/Diaz/etc/etc and win the control/position game against ANY ww in the division

Nobody at the WW division will be able to stop Ben's TDs, and once you're on the ground with Ben, there is little chance you're gonna get back up.

It's simple...if you fight Ben, you're gonna get taken down and beat down. Every fighter knows his game and NOBODY can stop it.

LOL

I would bet 100k that GSP wrecks Askren. 5 rounds of domination.

When GSP is like 50 years old...Askren may well have a chance.

...and you would loose that bet

Winning fights for grapplers/bjj guys is about closing the distance, taking the fight to the ground, gaining and maintaining position, and beating your opponent down until he is physically exhausted and mentally broken (see Ben's last fight).

In Ben's last fight he showed tremendous improvment in his g&p game. He was punching from good posture/position and with power compared to his previous fights.

Gaining and maintaining position wins fights. Positional dominance round after round impacts a fighters psyche and takes away any realistic hope for victory.

Position/control is Ben's game; he's spent a lifetime becoming the best in the world at it; he's only going to get better and better; and GSP will suffer a beatdown if they fight.

Ben's gonna keep winning, and if Dana has any balls he will make this fight happen. Personally I don't see Dana making Ben a big offer after Ben's contract expires. Dana will make up some bullshit excuse about Ben being boring in order to save his UFC poster boys from being BEAT DOWN by a Bellator champ

LOL. I would most certainly win.

You are amusing, but completely unconvincing.

I would certainly put 100K on GSP if he fought Askren. We can certainly have a bet. If 100K is too much, I will settle for a mere 10K.

bjjdna - you are fucking dumb dude.

that is all.

if you wanna bet on that, you're gonna lose

that is all
3/19/13 9:46 AM
bjjdna
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entreri - 
bjjdna - 
Entreri - 

Askren would take down GSP/Diaz/etc/etc and win the control/position game against ANY ww in the division

Nobody at the WW division will be able to stop Ben's TDs, and once you're on the ground with Ben, there is little chance you're gonna get back up.

It's simple...if you fight Ben, you're gonna get taken down and beat down. Every fighter knows his game and NOBODY can stop it.

LOL

I would bet 100k that GSP wrecks Askren. 5 rounds of domination.

When GSP is like 50 years old...Askren may well have a chance.

...and you would loose that bet

Winning fights for grapplers/bjj guys is about closing the distance, taking the fight to the ground, gaining and maintaining position, and beating your opponent down until he is physically exhausted and mentally broken (see Ben's last fight).

In Ben's last fight he showed tremendous improvment in his g&p game. He was punching from good posture/position and with power compared to his previous fights.

Gaining and maintaining position wins fights. Positional dominance round after round impacts a fighters psyche and takes away any realistic hope for victory.

Position/control is Ben's game; he's spent a lifetime becoming the best in the world at it; he's only going to get better and better; and GSP will suffer a beatdown if they fight.

Ben's gonna keep winning, and if Dana has any balls he will make this fight happen. Personally I don't see Dana making Ben a big offer after Ben's contract expires. Dana will make up some bullshit excuse about Ben being boring in order to save his UFC poster boys from being BEAT DOWN by a Bellator champ

LOL. I would most certainly win.

You are amusing, but completely unconvincing.

I would certainly put 100K on GSP if he fought Askren. We can certainly have a bet. If 100K is too much, I will settle for a mere 10K.

lol

I don't gamble; I have 5 kids with underfunded 529 college accounts, and I would cry like a baby if I lost $100 much less 10k or 100k

that said...you are a fool for betting that kind of money against the funk

I'm curious to what the odds would be for askren/gsp; I'm thinking around 4:1
3/19/13 9:50 AM
BigWilliam
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate watching Askren fight, but he has a point. If GSP fights the way he has been recently then Askren would decision him.

I have to think that Jackson would have a smarter plan than that though. Use GSP's wrestling defensively and beat Ben up on the feet.
3/19/13 5:03 PM
SunflowerSamurai
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Johnny Hendricks beat askren in a wrestling match in '02. Pretty sure askren isnt an unstoppable wrestler... and he definately doesnt have hendricks's left hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6GLBdhLw5E
3/19/13 5:12 PM
ChaosOverkill
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wrong and most would get back up and drop him. See Jay Hieron

3/19/13 5:49 PM
Poop Doodle
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not falling for it. Lots of tough talk, then two guys avoiding fighting for 25 minutes.
3/19/13 5:55 PM
Raezor19
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poop Doodle - I'm not falling for it. Lots of tough talk, then two guys avoiding fighting for 25 minutes.

More like 1 tough guy talk and one guy quoted from 10 years of interviews, all mixed and matched to get the response you want to hear..

3/19/13 6:04 PM
bjjdna

SunflowerSamurai - 

Johnny Hendricks beat askren in a wrestling match in '02. Pretty sure askren isnt an unstoppable wrestler... and he definately doesnt have hendricks's left hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6GLBdhLw5E

Yea I've already seen that match but thnx for posting.

Ben's not an unstoppable wrestler. He's just a better wrestler than Hendricks now - in addition to everyone else in the WW div. Ben wrestled internationally and became the best in the nation - a huge leap above Div 1 All American status.

That said - Johnny's power will be a real problem for anyone including Ben. Johnny is going to put GSP to sleep with that power and has the best chance to beat Askren out of all other WWs imo.

So after Ben spanks GSP, maybe he gets his revenge match against Johnny for the UFC belt.
3/19/13 6:13 PM
bjjdna

ChaosOverkill - 

First of all, Jay Hieron is a very talented fighter despite his losses and lack of respect from the UG. Ben beat Jay 4/5 rounds and convincingly controlled Jay for 3/5 rounds.

The final round was all Jay, but he did no damage to Ben and only scored with that spinning side kick.
3/19/13 6:15 PM
bjjdna

lol at the votes down from the Askren haters
3/19/13 6:17 PM
Zaph
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bjjdna - lol at the votes down from the Askren haters
I didn't vote you down, but one hardly has to be a "hater" to know that Askren has literally no keys to victory against GSP. Phone Post
3/19/13 6:20 PM
zath

Good luck.

Better wrestlers have thought the same thing and been proven wrong every time.
3/19/13 6:21 PM
bjjdna

you all underestimate grappling greatness of teh funk
3/19/13 6:21 PM
ChaosOverkill
684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bjjdna - 
ChaosOverkill - 

First of all, Jay Hieron is a very talented fighter despite his losses and lack of respect from the UG. Ben beat Jay 4/5 rounds and convincingly controlled Jay for 3/5 rounds.

The final round was all Jay, but he did no damage to Ben and only scored with that spinning side kick.

Jay is alright, if he can take a round from Askren, COndit and Rory can take more.

Hendrick beats his face in and GSP just beats him

3/19/13 6:22 PM
ChaosOverkill

bjjdna - you all underestimate grappling greatness of teh funk

So Ben does things No other man above him in MMA can deal with is what you're syaing they're all powerless at his new style and technique of grappling.

Bullshit

3/19/13 6:25 PM
ChaosOverkill

He has a reach advantage over one guy, Henricks and it's 2 inches. In the big leagues it takes more than Grappling

3/19/13 6:38 PM
Infamous Ed

Hendricks, Ellenberger, condit, koscheck, and macdonald would all kick his ass. Phone Post
3/19/13 6:42 PM
orcus

"He has a reach advantage over one guy, Henricks and it's 2 inches. In the big leagues it takes more than Grappling"

Not necessarily. Hendricks' punches didn't win him that fight against Condit, his takedowns did. Same goes for Kampmann for that matter. Rory has won several of his fights with nothing but grappling. So have lots of guys. What sport are you watching? I'm pretty sure the #1 complaint is that all you have to do to win is take the guy down.

3/19/13 6:47 PM
SJax
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uh really? Arian Foster of the NFL is a cupcake right? Your premise is actually one of the dumber things posted today on teh interwebs! Congrats! you won it! A athlete that gets adequate protein levels via vegetables is no weaker than one who eats meat and animal products.
3/19/13 6:47 PM
ChaosOverkill

Edited: 03/19/13 6:49 PM
orcus - 

"He has a reach advantage over one guy, Henricks and it's 2 inches. In the big leagues it takes more than Grappling"

Not necessarily. Hendricks' punches didn't win him that fight against Condit, his takedowns did. Same goes for Kampmann for that matter. Rory has won several of his fights with nothing but grappling. So have lots of guys. What sport are you watching? I'm pretty sure the #1 complaint is that all you have to do to win is take the guy down.

Yeah but name the champ with one dimension only in his game.

GSP has won with strikes, Silva has won grappling, Bendo, Aldo, Cruz, Cain, Jones. Jds, Chuck Lidell defined stopping one sided skill, Franklin could do both, Matt Hughes could even do both.

Where's the current dominat champ that uses one skill? Yes Askren has a shot to beat Rory and COndit I'm not saying them winning is 100% but I favour them over a guy with no subs and no striking who would back up faced with those guys and lose his momentum in Takedowns.

3/19/13 6:50 PM
JohnnyBGood4Life

GSP would not out wrestle Askren. That is fantasy. This fight should happen though
3/19/13 6:51 PM
ChaosOverkill

Furthermore Chael doesn't have the succes he did in the first Silva match without some of the striking he used. Vitor doesn't get an almost W without Grappling on JJ and is known as a striker. 

The only reason Chris Weidman is even considered a shot more than Chael is his power and level changing that is even better than Chael's. Same with Hendricks.

3/19/13 6:57 PM
ChaosOverkill

Mixing it up and level changing to keep fighters off balance is the definition of top 5 UFC skill. Askren can dominate the minors all he wants and the people who want GSP out of the champ spot will put all of their eggs in his basket like they did with Diaz who's second dimension in terms of BJJ was exposed as nothing to brag about on Saturday. Condit did better and with his striking almost came way with a win. Even if Askren can wrestle better than GSP or Hendricks, he's not controlling the top 5 long enough to avoid what Condit almost ended GSP with, He doesn't have the experience of defensive prowess to stop it and until he's tested I won't buy his stock except against weak wrestlers.

3/19/13 7:03 PM
ChaosOverkill

SJax - Uh really? Arian Foster of the NFL is a cupcake right? Your premise is actually one of the dumber things posted today on teh interwebs! Congrats! you won it! A athlete that gets adequate protein levels via vegetables is no weaker than one who eats meat and animal products.

lol forum mistake?

3/19/13 7:10 PM
ChaosOverkill

Look Rory, Condit and Diaz are obviously the three Askren has the best chance to use his one dimension enough to win a decision, yes I can more than see that.

But 9/10 Hendricks beats Askren, they both have had ample time to improve wrestling equally since Hendricks beat him in NCAA in 2002. Even if Askren is slightly better it's not enough to decide a fight with Hendrick power and accuracy at this point and Askren's head is a big target.

GSP is declining since the Knee injury so his fight with Hendricks will tell me everything I need to know in how far and fast he's falling. If he loses badly to Hendricks, Askren has a good shot to beat GSP, if GSP shuts out Hendricks grappling, Askren loses to GSP over and over.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.