UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Advice on recovering from groin pull

3/18/13 1:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
misterw
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hurts to squeeze legs together, high up in right side of groin. This has been lingering for quite some time now. I am going to stop playing guard for a while; hopefully, I can still train on top. Any exercises you have found helpful?
3/18/13 1:58 PM
misterw
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Did you take much time off? Or just adjust what you did? How old are you?
3/18/13 2:17 PM
The Cicada
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna help you out man.  I followed this system during a 6 month physically intensive work related course I was doing two years ago. I had what I would consider a grade II groin tear at the time. I never missed a workout and healed it up within a month even though I was in a lot of pain.

Do the below three things 5 days a week or so, even on training days.

1)  Heat up your groin with a moist heating pad/hot bath.  Then immediately go into the following stretches and techniques.  A)  Buddha stretch  B) Butterfly stretch  C)  Get on all fours and keep inching out your knees until you get a good stretch in your groin (awesome stretch)   D) Do this strengthening exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLlbuUKs0a0  

2)  After you do that series of things, sit on you rear and push your legs as far out as possible.  Take some lotion or gel and put it on your groin muscle.  Then take your thumb and aggressively rub your groin muscle all around the area of the injury.  Just tract your groin injury from top to bottom when your groin muscle is elongated.  Do it for a few minutes.  That helped me out a ton in managing the pain and scar tissue.  

3)  Ice for twenty minutes right on the groin injury.  Yikes!

4)  Buy a flexible hip spica wrap and use it every single practice/drilling until you are 100% pain free.  

http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-by-Brand/Cramer-Braces-and-Support/Cramer-E6-Groin-Hip-Spica?gclid=CMK4t_XuhrYCFcqd4AodiAMAaQ&source=googleps

5)  If any drill or exercise puts you at a level 5 out of 10 pain or more, quit that exercise/drill immediately.  It is simply not worth it to take weeks of great rehab and blow it because one was stubborn.  

3/18/13 2:19 PM
The Cicada
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another thing, it might be a hip flexor tear. Those things respond real well to a good icing after practice and a good 5 day ibuprofen regimen. You can also use the flexible hip spica wrap for hip flexor tears as well.

And it has lasted a long time, you might want to go to the doctor to check for a possible hernia.
3/18/13 2:41 PM
Rob bjj 12
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say take it easy and be very careful. I had pulled mine 3 times in 18 months and the pain is pretty bad. i would recommend rest, light training, ice, yoga/stretching . Also it may feel better for a while but be careful when exploding/going for sweeps. I had similar problems where i didnt do armbars or triangles because i couldnt squeeze my legs together. Focus on your top game.
3/18/13 6:23 PM
spidermanik
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for advice Phone Post
3/18/13 6:33 PM
andrewn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Cicada pretty much nailed it.

Only thing I would suggest is keep up a stretching program once the injury heals. I used to tear adductors regularly but haven't had a single one since I started stretching after EVERY class.
3/19/13 7:04 AM
ASBELTOMATO
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe pulled a ligament in groin. Six months to get back to closed guard. Very very frustrating.
3/19/13 8:01 AM
MojoWorkin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rest! Groin pulls are notoriously easy to re-aggravate if you come back too soon. Rest it up, then do so rehab, and only once you are sure you are 100% come back.

Don't eff around w/ groin injuries!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.