UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: the ultimate mma point scorer!

3/18/13 1:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Da Ghost
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is stopping this guy by sub or KO the only way to beat him?

I am trying to think of a way a fighter could out score and it seems impossible.

His style is so well suited for mma scoring!

He hasn't dropped a round in like forever... I feel like I'd almost be more impressed with a dominant decision win over GSP than a stoppage. Phone Post
3/18/13 2:08 PM
Vitor29

Herman Munster - 

How many people have stopped Nick Diaz any time recently?  Who has submitted or knocked out Nick Diaz? Why did Diaz not fish GSP?  If neither opponent finishes the other, the object is to score more points than the other.  Nick Diaz scored more points after the bell than during the fight.  GSP may be the Ultimate Point Scorer, but at least he's scores points with his fists,  Nick Diaz only scores points with his mouth.

Who said anything about Diaz?
3/18/13 2:10 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - 

How many people have stopped Nick Diaz any time recently?  Who has submitted or knocked out Nick Diaz? Why did Diaz not fish GSP?  If neither opponent finishes the other, the object is to score more points than the other.  Nick Diaz scored more points after the bell than during the fight.  GSP may be the Ultimate Point Scorer, but at least he's scores points with his fists,  Nick Diaz only scores points with his mouth.

One of the biggest problems on this board is that people drag in arguments from other threads everywhere they go.

Please try not to do that.

3/18/13 2:16 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Da Ghost -  Is stopping this guy by sub or KO the only way to beat him?

I am trying to think of a way a fighter could out score and it seems impossible.

He hasn't dropped a round in like forever... I feel like I'd almost be more impressed with a dominant decision win over GSP than a stoppage. Phone Post

I agree. It was a huge shock when Serra KO'd GSP. Everyone assumed they underestimated Serra and he was a lot better than they thought. But GSP regained his strap and as time went on, it became more and more obvious that GSP fucked up more than Serra did well. And no disrespect to Serra, I was and am a huge Serra fan.

It seems like the only way to beat GSP is to get in that one good shot that finishes the fight, because when it comes down to who did better overall, GSP is going to win everytime.

3/18/13 2:28 PM
Da Ghost

UGCTT_EnderTL -
Da Ghost -  Is stopping this guy by sub or KO the only way to beat him?

I agree. It was a huge shock when Serra KO'd GSP. Everyone assumed they underestimated Serra and he was a lot better than they thought. But GSP regained his strap and as time went on, it became more and more obvious that GSP fucked up more than Serra did well. And no disrespect to Serra, I was and am a huge Serra fan.

It seems like the only way to beat GSP is to get in that one good shot that finishes the fight, because when it comes down to who did better overall, GSP is going to win everytime.

Yeah! It has to be an opponents game plan to finish him, trying to win rounds or outwork him seems to be impossible

I would be so impressed if a fighter came out and dominated him.

Although as GSP isn't the most durable of fighters, whoever dominates him will have a good chance of getting the finish anyway Phone Post
3/18/13 2:36 PM
knuckleballs

Edgar, Stout, Fitch are WAY more point fighters than GSP.

GSP has stopped Serra and Penn in recent memory and a ton of guys earlier in his UFC career.

Those other guys rarely has stopped anyone.

GSP should get more leniency in this criticism, for he only fights the top of the food chain, and the top of the food chain is much harder to finish. I mean, who else finishes condit and diaz, for example? This is not easy to do. Nor, is beating those guys 50-45. Even in his decision wins, he usually beats the snot out of the other guys. The Fitch fight was one of the worst beat downs i ever saw....
3/18/13 2:47 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Refs could have easily stopped Fitch and Kos, a doctor could have easily stopped the Kos fight. He could have fought the exact same fights and had 2 more stoppages and he wouldn't even have this reputation. Also he had an extremely deep near sub on Hardy. The reality is you have a guy in his mental prime who loses 1 round every 4 fights. Nobody is going to beat him unless we change the rules and force him to fight with his chin up and his hands tied behind his back while rapping in French
3/18/13 3:00 PM
olivers army
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP is just great. Ok so he hasnt stopped anyone recently. But he has in the past. Thing is hes just too good and no one has an answer for him. Phone Post
3/18/13 3:01 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

I win 19 out of every 20 rounds

No fighter ever has me in trouble

I haven't been close to losing a fight in the last 6 years

Change my style to be more entertaining, genius!!!!!
3/18/13 4:37 PM
cycklops
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At this point, someone please stop him SOMEHOW. Who gives a fuck HOW. Just do it. I'm sick of listening to people complain about his after every title fight. Just don't watch it. But please, someone figure out how to beat him and do it simply so I don't have to listen to how boring and unstoppable he is.
3/18/13 4:57 PM
cycklops
299 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he did score 50 points saturday night too.
3/18/13 5:00 PM
lenz0799

GSP is the perfect example of where the scoring in MMA translates to boring fights. The need to do more to speed up the action. Phone Post
3/18/13 5:24 PM
Pink Impala

Oh my gosh, shut up. He's so dominant.

Excuse my sarcasm Phone Post
3/18/13 5:31 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

knuckleballs - Edgar, Stout, Fitch are WAY more point fighters than GSP.

GSP has stopped Serra and Penn in recent memory and a ton of guys earlier in his UFC career.

GSP should get more leniency in this criticism, for he only fights the top of the food chain, and the top of the food chain is much harder to finish. I mean, who else finishes condit and diaz, for example? This is not easy to do. Nor, is beating those guys 50-45. Even in his decision wins, he usually beats the snot out of the other guys. The Fitch fight was one of the worst beat downs i ever saw....

All have lost decisions.

What OP is trying to say and people are ignoring, is that GSP doesn't lose by decisions. If anyone is going to beat him it is going to HAVE to be a stoppage because there is no way they are outscoring him. Over the course of an entire fight, GSP will beat you hands down. You better be going in there looking to take him out.

Is there another way I can phrase that? lol

3/18/13 5:49 PM
Forrest Spliffn

Yeah you need to put hands on gsp... When you hit him you have to back out and reset or he will take you down quick if you sting him
Diaz stung him a bit and gsp dragged him straight down.

Gsp can't get clipped by Hendricks at all costs. despite his dominance he doesn't take getting hit as well as a lot of guys do. Phone Post
3/18/13 5:53 PM
thegreenroom
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think anderson would out point Gsp to a decision cuz gsp would find it hard to take him down.

But who knows. Phone Post
3/18/13 6:32 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL

thegreenroom -  I think anderson would out point Gsp to a decision cuz gsp would find it hard to take him down.

But who knows. Phone Post

Honestly, if Anderson was conservative with his striking I think you are right. He would have the range to pick GSP apart from the outside. GSP might end up with a couple of takedowns, but Anderson would take it in the long haul. But I also think if Anderson got his striking going against GSP, it wouldn't make it 5 rounds.

3/18/13 9:52 PM
spliffmood

Bullshit. I doubt you even watched the fight. GSP threw a kick, then a jab, then a takedown.
He didnt commit to any position. Didnt bang in the pocket, didnt take his back, didnt pass his guard.

BJ and Nick tried to finish each other. Those two were in a fuckin scrap

3/18/13 9:54 PM
spliffmood

I meant to quote fishyfish
3/18/13 9:57 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

fishyfish -

GSP is not a big finisher, and anyways the top guys are (generally) harder to finish, or else they wouldn't be top guys.

but to call GSP's last fight "fighting for points" is Ultimate Noobness.

he deliberately chose to stop taking Nick down and controlling him, which he was doing with NO PROBLEM AT ALL, to box a little with Nick.  that's a risk GSP took, for his own experience, and for the fans.

so calling him a point fighter, in reference to his last fight, shows great ignorance.

I respectfully disagree with your post, and find it silly you would call anyone who disagrees ignorant.

GSP was getting stuffed on many of his takedowns later in the fight. He had no choice but to stand in many instances. He certainly was not looking to finish the fight often at all. Phone Post
3/18/13 10:03 PM
disbeliever
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
My only issue is how he looks at the clock, sees 1 minute left and hurries for take downs. You know he is only trying to win the round
3/18/13 10:10 PM
Brabatross

I think Hendricks has a good chance of knocking GSP out. I don't think anyone in the division has the ability to outscore him though.
3/18/13 10:12 PM
The Mouth

GSP stands for...

GONNA SCORE POINTS.
3/19/13 4:35 AM
Da Ghost

UGCTT_EnderTL -
knuckleballs - Edgar, Stout, Fitch are WAY more point fighters than GSP.

All have lost decisions.

What OP is trying to say and people are ignoring, is that GSP doesn't lose by decisions. If anyone is going to beat him it is going to HAVE to be a stoppage because there is no way they are outscoring him. Over the course of an entire fight, GSP will beat you hands down. You better be going in there looking to take him out.

Is there another way I can phrase that? lol

Finally somebody understands what I was posting

Seriously high IQs being displayed on this board Phone Post
3/19/13 4:42 AM
Mauro Ranallo's Mic

If Demian Maia could hulk wrassle GSP to the ground, all he has to do is win rounds 1-3 and he gets the title. Demian may be that guy to do it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.