UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> AA: Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake

3/18/13 3:08 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Famed boxing trainer Freddy Roach has worked with a number of MMA notables including Georges St-Pierre, Tito Ortiz, Andrei Arlovski, and most recently Muaricio 'Shogun' Rua.

While most fighters offer high praise for Roach. WSoF fighter Arlovksi feels it was not the best use of his time.

Arlovski, who fights Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson on Saturday's WSoF event on NBC Sports Network, trained under Roachin preparation for his 2009 fight Fedor Emelianenko. The training appeared to be paying off, as Arlovski was getting the better of 'The Last Emperor' until he wasn't. Arlovksi inexplicably tried a flying knee, and got caught with a clean shot while in mid air, and went out.

"I'm going to stick with Greg Jackson and other trainers from Greg Jackson's gym if I'm going to keep on fighting," said Arlovski on the MMAJunkie Radio Show.

"I paid too much attention to boxing. I wanted to try professional boxing. That's why I didn't focus on wrestling and jiu-jitsu, and it hurt me."

"This is a camp that's much, much better than before," said Arlovski, who has gone from an 0-4 skid to a 4-0 streak. "(There are) a lot of sparring partners, so I'm more than happy.

"It's good to have light heavyweights and heavyweights because they're not going to be too relaxed in the sparring or the wrestling sessions. You have to be ready all the time to do something or defend something. The last two weeks have been going very, very good for me because I spar a lot with Travis Browne and Jon Jones, and it definitely helped me a lot for my fight."

"Definitely I learned from Freddie, and he taught me some cool stuff. But at the same time, I was hurting my momentum in my MMA technique, and I had some problems with my other coaches. It was a good experience, but I'm not going to come back again to a boxing gym."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

3/18/13 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RickStorm
1830 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/13 3:30 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

Still one of my favorite fighters!!

3/18/13 3:22 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love me some AA!

Personally, I don't see how his boxing training had anything to do with his losing streak, but whatever he feels is best for him! Should be a great fight against Rumble.

3/18/13 3:23 PM
sockeye
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure Roach didn't train him to throw flying knees Phone Post
3/18/13 3:38 PM
M Wood
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice headline.....way to misquote.
3/18/13 3:38 PM
used2wrestle
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arlovski was with Jackson when he got ktfo by kharitonov on the Strikeforce card. I'm sure of it because I was there and saw Jackson in my hotel so whoever wrote that part of the article got something wrong. AA definitely isn't 4-0 with Jackson
3/18/13 3:39 PM
used2wrestle
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

M Wood - nice headline.....way to misquote.

so true. LOL.
3/18/13 3:40 PM
Kirik
1844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
M Wood - nice headline.....way to misquote.

Source headline from MMAJunkie is:

WSOF 2's Andrei Arlovski explains why training with Freddie Roach was a mistake

3/18/13 3:41 PM
MattyECB
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sockeye -  I'm sure Roach didn't train him to throw flying knees Phone Post

+1 and I'd VU if I could lol

Was gonna post this exactly, he blamed Roach rt after the Fedor loss too, but what the fuck was the point in training conservative, technical and text-book boxing if he immediately resorts to a move that's not only completely unrelated to boxing, but insanely risky, even if you're a professional MT fighter who'se trained his whole life..

Arlovski has retarded fight IQ, nothing new here
3/18/13 3:43 PM
UGCTT_Song2
857 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm -

Snap Phone Post
3/18/13 3:45 PM
MattyECB
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wyatt Derp - 
UGCTT_EnderTL -

Love me some AA!

Personally, I don't see how his boxing training had anything to do with his losing streak, but whatever he feels is best for him! Should be a great fight against Rumble.

You should watch couture vs toney. Phone Post

Because it's apt to compare a boxer who never trained wrestling or BJJ, to an MMA fighter whose main strength is boxing and wants to support this strength?

I mean no one says you should ditch MMA for boxing training, that'd be retarded, but there is certainly something to be gained from training boxing from a technical trainer.

And in interviews Roach has always seemed very cognizent of the limitations training with him poses. He says he switches the timing of rounds when training and shows footwork and hands, but is always understanding when his MMA cross-trainees tell him this and this won't work, or I'm altering the stance to, for example, keep my front leg turned to the outside ready for MT swing kicks.
3/18/13 3:46 PM
Dvh10
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate these misleading headlines...where does AA say it was a mistake?? He actually says he learned alot from freddie roach!!gossip columns use these misleading headlines I really don't feel it's needed,people come to the ug to read these columns they don't need to put a spin on it so we will read them Phone Post
3/18/13 3:46 PM
MattyECB

RickStorm - 

Would kill to see an AA comeback...

Shed a single indian tear when Kharitonov KOed the shit outta Arlovski in the SF Grand Prix
3/18/13 3:49 PM
ender852
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dvh10 -  I hate these misleading headlines...where does AA say it was a mistake?? He actually says he learned alot from freddie roach!!gossip columns use these misleading headlines I really don't feel it's needed,people come to the ug to read these columns they don't need to put a spin on it so we will read them Phone Post

for sure, I clicked the link intending to say something snarky but everything he said was sensible and logical.

UG news trolled me again.

3/18/13 3:52 PM
kingwank
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched the Fedor fight and at the end, I thought, "wow, if only Arlovski would have put in more BJJ training time..." Phone Post
3/18/13 3:53 PM
goocher
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol he complained about his boxing, but he got KO'd going to a flying knee. He was actually lighting up Fedor before that happend.
3/18/13 3:54 PM
Wasa-B
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think AA should have been an experienced enough MMAer to realize how he had to incorporate the new technical skills in boxing into his overall game. Also, he was beating Fedor with his hands, he just got overly excited, that was more due to his mental game imo.
3/18/13 5:20 PM
MayorPirkle
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

used2wrestle - Arlovski was with Jackson when he got ktfo by kharitonov on the Strikeforce card. I'm sure of it because I was there and saw Jackson in my hotel so whoever wrote that part of the article got something wrong. AA definitely isn't 4-0 with Jackson

Nowhere does it say he's 4-0 with Jackson. Also, what?!?
3/18/13 5:28 PM
Kirik
1844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/18/13 5:28 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor
Dvh10 -  I hate these misleading headlines...where does AA say it was a mistake?? He actually says he learned alot from freddie roach!!gossip columns use these misleading headlines I really don't feel it's needed,people come to the ug to read these columns they don't need to put a spin on it so we will read them Phone Post

The UG Blog piece was based on an MMAJunkie interview with AA, and an associated article.

The title of the Junkie piece was:

The UG title, for reasons of space, is

AA: Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake

The UG Blog title, which allows for more characters is

Arlovski: Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake

I would be grateful if someone could explain to me how taking the title "WSOF 2's Andrei Arlovski explains why training with Freddie Roach was a mistake" and shortening it to "Arlovski: Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake" is putting a spin on the original piece?

Further, on the front page, a fuller explanation of the text was provided in the abstract:

"I learned from Freddie, and he taught me some cool stuff," said Andrei Arloski. "But at the same time, I was hurting my momentum in my MMA technique."

I am genuinely curious about other people's thought processes. I am sure there is an explanation, I just can't see a rational one, at least not yet?

3/18/13 5:32 PM
UGCTT_Sparro
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is the fight at a catchweight ? Or has rumble moved up to HW now ? Or AA gone down to LHW ? Phone Post
3/18/13 5:43 PM
Kid Salami
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

The UG Blog piece was based on an MMAJunkie interview with AA, and an associated article.

I would be grateful if someone could explain to me how taking the title "WSOF 2's Andrei Arlovski explains why training with Freddie Roach was a mistake" and shortening it to "Arlovski: Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake" is putting a spin on the original piece?

Further, on the front page, a fuller explanation of the text was provided in the abstract:

"I learned from Freddie, and he taught me some cool stuff," said Andrei Arloski. "But at the same time, I was hurting my momentum in my MMA technique."

I am genuinely curious about other people's thought processes. I am sure there is an explanation, I just can't see a rational one, at least not yet?

Lol. I love you kirik (homo), but you know what you're doing. You may not be using quotations but structuring the title like that implies that It is a direct quote. Phone Post
3/18/13 6:10 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Kid Salami - 
Kirik -

Lol. I love you kirik (homo), but you know what you're doing. You may not be using quotations but structuring the title like that implies that It is a direct quote. Phone Post

Love you too, but your justification is not rational. First, when we quote someone, we use quotes (' not " for html reasons). Secondly, how, rationally speaking, could this be a quote - "Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake"? The title was a shortening of the original title of the piece, with no intent to change the meaning, in any way.

The original title, by the highly respected Steven Marrocco from MMAJunkie/USAToday, was "WSOF 2's Andrei Arlovski explains why training with Freddie Roach was a mistake"

The UG Blog title was "ArA: Why training with Freddy Roach was a mistake"

The two titles are functionally identical. Again, I am curious as to how people think. Can someone explain the difference they see between the two?

I can't.

3/18/13 6:22 PM
ender852
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so you are saying MMAJunkie were the ones that sensationalized the title, you guys just passed it along.

3/18/13 6:25 PM
Chief Meteorologist Brick Tamland
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sockeye -  I'm sure Roach didn't train him to throw flying knees Phone Post

LOL this
3/18/13 7:06 PM
Letibleu
1680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the title I was expecting a different article.

Article Summary: Arlovski sucks at managing his time and spent too much of it refining his boxing. Greg Jackson's people manage his time for him and do a better job at making him well rounded.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.